1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New S3 owner couple of Q`s

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Flight 666, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Flight 666

Flight 666 Member

[Dec 24, 2010]
    HI guys 1st post so be gentle have been a VW/Audi man for years so bit the bullet and bought a 2002 S3 the car has 97k miles on it.The car has been sat in my workshop for the last month so today drove it onto some ramps to remove sump/pickup pipe and clean down.After a few minutes on the ramp I`m pretty sure the car changed tone and the top end seem more tappety/rattley (No noise on start up).Anyway did the pickup very little crud on it same goes for the inside of the sump re-filled with 5-30 fully synthetic.And the car still appears to be noisy at the top end.This is only really noticable with the bonnet open.Could this just be something "sticking" due the car being sat for a month? I haven`t driven the car only let it idle up to temperature.It`s maybe me just worrying too much also the idle appears to have become a tad lumpy as well is it worth cleaning the MAF.again this seems to have started since the car has been stood.Lastly does anyone have any ideas how I can empty the contents of the haldex oil tube into the unit as I don`t have quite enough height to use a mastic gun..any pointers v much appreciated..thanks Nick
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 20, 2014]

3. S90GAV

S90GAV Member

[Dec 24, 2010]
    could the tapping noise be the carbon canister? i could be wrong tho
  4. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

[Dec 24, 2010]
    yea like gav said,give it some light revs...does it go off?,also giving it a good run out always quietens an engine that stood for some time.
  5. Flight 666

Flight 666 Member

[Dec 24, 2010]
    Thanks for the reply no it doesn`t go away at light revs, it doesn`t sound truely nasty just I thought it suddenly got louder when I was letting the oil warm a little before dropping it.Deff not the carbon cansiter just sounds like its the very top of the engine similar to the injector noise but above the cam cover.Sounds v quiet when bonnet closed so not sure its me and like you said James maybe needs a good run out..I just thought it sounded louder than the wifes A4 1.8T AEB engine..
  6. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

[Dec 24, 2010]
    my other " weekend car " sits over the winter and once back out for summer it tappety from the top ,only a good run out gets rid of it..... must be the hydrolics?
  7. Flight 666

Flight 666 Member

[Dec 24, 2010]
    Yep cheers James was thinking it prob is something like that, not so bothered about using it on the road till all the **** weather is out of the way anyway..
  8. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

[Dec 24, 2010]
    Would of been worth while changing the oil pump when you did the pick up bud. At 97k i would be surprised if your tappets are the issue