NEW S3 OWNER..2 Chip or not 2 Chip?

fusions3

Reaction score
That is the question racking my brains.

Hi all, I am finally a proud owner of an S3 (1999 - 210bhp). I am astounded by the perfromace it has shown so far, bearing in mind that my previous car was an A4 Tdi (90bhp). I cant make up my mind to chip the car or not, as I have just put on 18" RS4 wheels and the performance has droped slightly, and would like the extra 60 or so horses. My concern however is that will me getting my car chipped damage anything in anyway, engine etc, and how would I go about servicing etc as they will see its been modified. Im sorry if this sounds thick but im a newbie in this department. Also if I do decide to get it chipped who would you recomend, AMD seem to be winning the poll, im only a few miles from JabbaSport but travelling or price is not an issue, its whoever does the best job. Any advice on the above will be greatly appreciated as I hate being neither here or there. Please help me out so I can make the right decision.

Thanx in Advance

Fusion

Hi,

I would definately get it chipped! I've had 2 S3's (both 210bhp). The first one I didn't get chipped. I bought a diesel then decided to go back to the S3 as I missed it soo much. I bought my second S3 and booked it into AmD for the upgrade. It was £550 inclusive of Vat (Group buy deal) and its worth every penny. The difference is truly amazing - night and day. There are people who have had their S3 chipped and have been running trouble free for years! I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some examples.

The only item I think you should look to upgrade when getting the car chipped is the uprated Diverter Valve. tThe standard diagrhram ones tend to break quite easily so you'd be better off getting the piston type (serviceable) to help with the power.

Make sure if you do get it chipped - get it rolling roaded before and after incase there are any problems with your car prior to the remap! Its best to make sure that your car is running at its optimum prior to chipping.

Loads of people umm and arr about getting this done - but most do it in the end and can't believe they didn;t do it sooner! As for servicing, normal rules apply. You can continue to take it to the dealers just as you would normally.

Hope this helps

Rich.

Thanx for the quick reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...well im definately more tempted now... one question I forgot to ask is after chipping does the fuel consumption go up a lot, I was told you hardly notice it, but then they would say that as the want me to spend 500 squid with them!

Get it chipped, it is a different car again when you get it done. With regards to fuel consumption, I havn't noticed any change at all. Bear in mind other sensible mods u may need after having it done:-
Brakes, suspension, ARB etc. U want to be able to control the extra power rather than getting wrapped around the neared lamp post.

Check your insurance before you do also. Hopefully it won't go up too much though!

Personally I think it's silly not to chip one, the potential is there and so is the reliability*

*it depends on your view of reliable I guess, these engines are prone to minor management problems - but not limited to chipped cars

Definitely do it. I was in two minds whether to do it, much as you are.

I have not regretted it for one minute, AMD rock too, great customer service imo!!

Fuel consumption is in fact slightly better!!

I've had mine 2 months now & love it so far. I know it'll be soo much better when it's chipped so it's definetly on the cards. The thing is, I think I'll appretiate it more if I get used to the power just now while uprating some things so it will handle the extra power nicely (Forge DV & T.I.P.). I think maybe in six months or so I'll be thinking of going for it. Plus the fact funds have depleted after buying wheels! :blink:

Peloton said:
I've had mine 2 months now & love it so far. I know it'll be soo much better when it's chipped so it's definetly on the cards. The thing is, I think I'll appretiate it more if I get used to the power just now while uprating some things so it will handle the extra power nicely (Forge DV & T.I.P.). I think maybe in six months or so I'll be thinking of going for it. Plus the fact funds have depleted after buying wheels! :blink:

That's exactly the way I went down the remap route - I was 100% used to the car before I got it remapped, TIP & DV'd all at the same time and you do appreciate it more! Get K&N panel filter too, just for that wee bit extra induction noise to finish it all off :) It'll be a different car after all of that, trust me.

Ah, I need to get my S-Line done soon!

So how many people have had there s3's chipped and is it worth it ?

If jabba are on your doorstep, i'd go with them. They are highly regarded when it comes to 1.8T's. Also, if you have any problems they will be on your doorstep. Get a new DV and a green panel filter and you should be good to go. Just make sure the car is in good health before you go, but Jabba will check this if you go for a custom remap.

Hope this helps.

-&

I wasted enough money with my corrado g60 with jabba . They are good but to be honest there is alot of other company's that do the same if not better job !

If jabba are on your doorstep, i'd go with them. They are highly regarded when it comes to 1.8T's. Also, if you have any problems they will be on your doorstep. Get a new DV and a green panel filter and you should be good to go. Just make sure the car is in good health before you go, but Jabba will check this if you go for a custom remap.

Hope this helps.

-&

i would def recomend getting the car remapped. totally different level. especially when todays cars are getting faster you dont want to be struggling against some quick diesel or something.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Get it remapped, tell your insurance and have a nice cheesy grin!!

Things to bear in mind:

1. Have a spare coilpack as these tend to be the first things to go.
2. Have a look at your boost pipes and TIP to check they are on securely and if necessary uprate the clamps and hoses if necessary; i've got Samco TIP and Upper Boost Hose.
3. Think if you need to upgrade the DV and Air Filter, I have stuck with the standard OE as I have heard little reason to upgrade. Also means that I can service the air filter regularly as they cost about £7 a pop - so keeping thinks good. Though some swear by upgrading to a Forge is the dogs.
4. Fuel economy is better then before - however if you are howling it around then expect the consumption to increase!
5. Think brakes or brake earlier, I take heed of Jojo advice and be prepared. I've got standard Mintex though for more bite I will get some DS2500 Pads to try. If you have the cash then a set of 4 pots is the best bet.
6. Make sure you service it regualary especially your oil, costs £50 a year but keeps your engine in good order.
7. Buy Vag.com and a cable as it will help immensly troubleshooting any issues and can log data for you.
8. Have it rolling roaded if you can to ensure you are getting the expected increase etc as well as ensuring that any issues are picked up during this process.

I've got a Custom Code remap (which you can get for £312 but does not include a rolling road) and it is very smooth through the delivery and progressive across the range - i think it is great and very nice to use. I tried the revo 5 hour trial but found it too harsh for my liking; but it's up to you. Ideally see who is in your area to see if you can get a quick spin to see if it is what you want etc.

I got mine done a 150k and it has been good for the past 15k. Just bear in mind that you will probably go through the wear and tear items (pads, clutch etc) a bit quicker so be wary of when these need to be done.

However all in all I recommend it and I should have done it sooner for sure!!

I will be getting my done just cant wait for the more power !!

i would def recomend getting the car remapped. totally different level. especially when todays cars are getting faster you dont want to be struggling against some quick diesel or something.

i have a REVO remap which is alot punchier i would say (just from what i have heard) then the cc but i like the low down power punch when you floot it. others like jester like the more progressive power you get with the cc. all personal choice really.

Thanks ,

Cant wait to get it done im hoping top get it done by vagchecks.com as they have a remap day on saturday !

Congratulations on your purchase!

Get it remapped, tell your insurance and have a nice cheesy grin!!

Things to bear in mind:

1. Have a spare coilpack as these tend to be the first things to go.
2. Have a look at your boost pipes and TIP to check they are on securely and if necessary uprate the clamps and hoses if necessary; i've got Samco TIP and Upper Boost Hose.
3. Think if you need to upgrade the DV and Air Filter, I have stuck with the standard OE as I have heard little reason to upgrade. Also means that I can service the air filter regularly as they cost about £7 a pop - so keeping thinks good. Though some swear by upgrading to a Forge is the dogs.
4. Fuel economy is better then before - however if you are howling it around then expect the consumption to increase!
5. Think brakes or brake earlier, I take heed of Jojo advice and be prepared. I've got standard Mintex though for more bite I will get some DS2500 Pads to try. If you have the cash then a set of 4 pots is the best bet.
6. Make sure you service it regualary especially your oil, costs £50 a year but keeps your engine in good order.
7. Buy Vag.com and a cable as it will help immensly troubleshooting any issues and can log data for you.
8. Have it rolling roaded if you can to ensure you are getting the expected increase etc as well as ensuring that any issues are picked up during this process.

I've got a Custom Code remap (which you can get for £312 but does not include a rolling road) and it is very smooth through the delivery and progressive across the range - i think it is great and very nice to use. I tried the revo 5 hour trial but found it too harsh for my liking; but it's up to you. Ideally see who is in your area to see if you can get a quick spin to see if it is what you want etc.

I got mine done a 150k and it has been good for the past 15k. Just bear in mind that you will probably go through the wear and tear items (pads, clutch etc) a bit quicker so be wary of when these need to be done.

However all in all I recommend it and I should have done it sooner for sure!!

Fusion, i toy'd with the idea for 3 months ish, everyone telling me to DO IT.....still not entirely convinced as i am qyuite stuborn....i arranged a lil drive in a memebers custom coded car...... got it 100yds and made the decision.... instant smile/erection

Had mine done on Sat by APS after 6months, and it's a totally different car! I new fully open the sunroof so I can hear the turbo and diveter valve at full chat, sounds awesome!

Yes ,

i found it and updated it ,

just was asking as im getting mine done by the vagchecks.co.uk as they had a offer with the audi tt forum ......

has no one else realised that this thread is 4 years old