New S3 is due....

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
......November 2006, as per the Audi vehicle release date paperwork, seen at my local dealer at Milton Keynes.

Prior to this is the S6 and S8.

No information on engine type, cost or extras has been released.

[ QUOTE ]
......November 2006, as per the Audi vehicle release date paperwork, seen at my local dealer at Milton Keynes.

Prior to this is the S6 and S8.

No information on engine type, cost or extras has been released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Urm, let the real spyshots begin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

THis may be the thread that will run. .. roll on the S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wonder what they will do with the engine as it needs to be 300 BHP to provide a Real upgrade from a 3.2 V6

Dealer has allready promissed me first test drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ok lets gets the bets sorted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3.2 V6 Turbo theres no other way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the on-sale date, or just the announcement date?

3.4 or 3.6 v6 i reckon.

look at the way the other S range cars have gone... no more turbos.

plus the golf r34/r36 is still rumoured to be in the pipeline.

i bet it will be that engine in the new s3 aswell.... if it ever really materialises

aye, my money is on a 2.0t, same as the mk5 golf gti, but with re-inforced internals and a higher output.

My bet is on i being 2.0T as well, to save weight over the front, in a bid to give it the dynamic edge it needs. But if this is true, then I can't see Audi pushing the 2.0 engine to beyond 265hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Seems a shame when mitsubishi and subaru can push so much out of their 2 litre lumps, and Audi are lagging behing the rest.

260-280 bhp from the 2.00 TFSI would be ample for a reliable S3. Just look at the S3 with 225 from the 1.8 turbo and the final edition TT pushing out 240 from the same engine. Their is no reason why they couldn't do this.

I personally hope they don't put the V6 lump in, this would be a no-brainer really. And i don't feel this would help sales as much as the more nimble 2.00 turbo.

At least the new Golf GTI got it right, and the original S3 got it right too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

3.6 pushing 280hp, no question. A 2.0T pushing that much hp would have bad *** lag and as someone else pointed out... they aren't using turbo's in their S's at the mo. The 3.6 is just starting to rear it's head in the Q7 and was seen testing in the golf (which would translate nicely to the A3)

I'm still trying to think of another car where the flagship model has a smaller capacity to another in the range... would it make marketing sense!!! ...anyone!?!

PS: Thought of one... Polo 16v, that was a 1.4 and there was a cheaper (i think) 1.6 SE.

So do I get a GTI mid '06 or wait for the S3......................?

I thought Audi policy now was na cars for ALL S series ...........

Well i hate Turbo Cars, just dont get on with the Turbo Lag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Drives me round the bend.

Audi can get round the Lag by adding a Turbo to the 3.6 V6

THis would produce instant power from the V6 engine then Supercar overtaking when you reach 3500 rpm when the turbo winds up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Goodness me, who wants my deposit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Heres another spanner in the works...

This week's Autocar magazine lists 8 secret Audi's coming our way; Q7, Q5, All-road, RS4 avant, new A4, Nuvolari, Le Mans, A3 cabrio and the new TT.

Well the New TT is listed as having the normal engines, 2.00 TFSI, 3.2 V6, 2.00 TDI (160) and a range topping 280 BHP twin-turbo 2.00 TFSI.

Now who said turbo's were dead.

Twin-turbo as in a big 'un and a little 'un to reduce the lag effect? Not bad, but I would prefer they make the S a little further out of the range of a chipped 3.2 - 290+ BHP maybe, with an RS ( if they do one) coming in at over 330 BHP (M3 territory).

And also make the suspension bits fit my 3.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously, who wants to place a bet on this? And how could it be arranged?

I'll put my money where my mouth is: 4cyl turbo!

Oh yeah, i just rembering the original posting of the RS3 scoooop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

But we can hope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

what about turbo'd V6 and supercharged??? that cud work, maybe lol

My money goes on a smaler, not so heavy 4 cylider turbo engine. At least that what i´m hoping for. A Mid engine RS3 with a V8 would be the best if I´m aloud to uncover my dreams.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The new VW roadster was announced a 1.4 KTFSI pushing 170 BHP if I remember the article correctly.

Now imagine a pumped 2.0T with a compressor.... Should easily be able to hit the late 200s.

Last but not least - what's with the constant reference to the 'horrible turbo lag' in the 2.0t? I mean, have you actually driven the car?

I just passed 20.000 km on the clock I can safely say that I have never driven a car with so little turbo lag. In fact I am seriously questioning if there is any at all...

KEMA

I've driven 3 GTI's and all had quite a bit of lag... but i liked it - thought it gave it character!

Some were worse than others-strangely!

I can see already where VW are going with the 2.0 TFSI. I'm firmly in the 2.0 TFSI camp but with the new VW designed dual turbo as per the new golf GT...

Just look at the range.

GOLF GTI 200BHP
current A3 2.0 TFSI 200BHP
New S3 twin turbo 280BHP
New Leon detuned to 180bhp
New Leon Cupra tuned to 240BHP

[ QUOTE ]
I've driven 3 GTI's and all had quite a bit of lag... but i liked it - thought it gave it character!

Some were worse than others-strangely!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep the GTI i test drove before the A3 was laggy, nailing it from tickover to pull out quickly - just didnt happen.

If i spend megga bucks on the top of the range i wnat it to GO when I Want it to and not waiting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I agree - no lag at all. Straight line acceleration all the way.

But a 270bhp 2.0T would surely be laggy by comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the WAY !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Yep - defo a turbo 2.0 (maybe twin / 2 stage turbo)

Remember the A3 is a small family hatchback, why lump it with an S4/M3???

Watchout for the BM 130i or M1, surely thats the natural class competition to differentiate from?

A source at my local dealership said they saw a test mule A3 with quad exausts, massive alloys and discs at the factory when they went to the Q7 launch. Said it was a 2L turbo engine.

So that's what my money would be on.

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
I agree - no lag at all. Straight line acceleration all the way.

But a 270bhp 2.0T would surely be laggy by comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if theres a superchargers aswell...

My money is on a 240bhp 2.0 Super & Turbo charged FSI.........Mid next year... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A source at my local dealership said they saw a test mule A3 with quad exausts, massive alloys and discs at the factory when they went to the Q7 launch. Said it was a 2L turbo engine.

So that's what my money would be on.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmm I cant believe they would Turbo the 2.0
as it would not see anything over 300BHP with low torque ( as its a turbo) the 3.2 V6 would still be a better bet to buy.

Im really eager to see what they choose engine wise as the A3 Quattro can easily handle 300-350 BHP without breaking into a sweat !!!

[ QUOTE ]

mmmm I cant believe they would Turbo the 2.0
as it would not see anything over 300BHP with low torque ( as its a turbo)

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? Turbo's are always high torque engines, thats the whole idea of fitting the turbo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif

Tell you what, I'm glad I'm getting my 3.2 soon so that I don't have to keep wondering what the new s3 will be like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif Everything is pure speculation until it actually gets released so might as well just enjoy the cars you have now rather than thinking about the next one.