Facelift New S3 Hissing Noise from Engine

ASRman

Reaction score
Dear all

Just had my new glacier white S3 S-tronic delivered this morning. Car looks and drives fantastic. As always with new cars, I have a couple of niggling concerns would like to get other owners opinions on:

a) The car is brand new with only 15 miles on the clock, I have noticed a slight hissing sound when accelerating and then letting off the gas, seems to be coming from the front of the car, almost sounds like its coming through the speakers, doesnt sound quite right but Im not sure, any ideas?

b) The car feels fast but not exactly 310 hp fast, is there car expected to increase in performance over the first 1000 miles as the new bits and bobs wear in properly?

Thanks in advance

Not sure about the hissing noise. As to performance, obviously you shouldn't beast the car when it's so new but.......if you put it in dynamic and S (and the oil is nice and warm) then I think you will find it is quite quick! How fast a car actually feels depends on a lot of things. This car is quite refined and well behaved so the power doesn't feel raw. I have found it feels much quicker as a passenger than it does when I am driving.

Reactions: batch
As above for the performance. Don't do it too much until you've passed a thousand miles but to give you an idea, once the oil temp is up over 90C (in lap timer display) then select dynamic mode, knock the gearbox into S at about 35mph and put your right foot down!
Sure the hissing noise isn't wastegate chatter/air filter whoosh?

As above for the performance. Don't do it too much until you've passed a thousand miles but to give you an idea, once the oil temp is up over 90C (in lap timer display) then select dynamic mode, knock the gearbox into S at about 35mph and put your right foot down!

Not sure about FL models without VC but with the VC the oil temp is on the main screen.

Thanks for replies already - Just took the car for another spin to figure out exactly whats causing the sound. I go back on my previous statement where I said it makes the hissing/spooling noise when letting off the gas, it seems to make the noise most when Im applying medium throttle and can see the boost gauge rising to around the half mark. Performance seems fine and generally the car seems solid so could be this is a normal sound of the turbo spooling up?

This car is quite refined and well behaved so the power doesn't feel raw. I have found it feels much quicker as a passenger than it does when I am driving.

Funny you should mention that. I told the mrs to "put her foot down" for once last week, and I practically **** my pants. It does feel much faster as a passenger.

Reactions: batch
Performance seems fine and generally the car seems solid so could be this is a normal sound of the turbo spooling up?

I woudn't worry mate, sounds like it could be just the Turbo spinning up as you say. The mind can start to play funny tricks on you if your tuned into any "potential" problems and worrying about stuff with your new car. I would say unless it throws any errors then just enjoy it and drive it like you stole it (after it's warmed up of course) :)

Reactions: batch, SILVAF0XX and ASRman
As above, it sounds like turbo noises you are hearing.
Ive got an induction kit on my ST and it lets off all sorts of chatter and spooling noises.
You get used it.

Question to everyone else....Can you hear much from the turbo on the FL S3?

As above, it sounds like turbo noises you are hearing.
Ive got an induction kit on my ST and it lets off all sorts of chatter and spooling noises.
You get used it.

Question to everyone else....Can you hear much from the turbo on the FL S3?

I think you can, can hear it spoil up. Sounds pretty cool I think - this being my first turbo car anyhow.

Reactions: BowkA86

I think it might be this actually, have been snooping around some of the golf R forums last night and apparently there are lot of 2.0 TFSI owners who complain of a similar sounding noise when on partial boost, think they call it the wastegate rattle. Apparently its a well known issue but VAG dont seem to have a solution for it. Its not too bad if im honest, I may mention it to the dealer if its persists when I bring it in for its first service

I think it might be this actually, have been snooping around some of the golf R forums last night and apparently there are lot of 2.0 TFSI owners who complain of a similar sounding noise when on partial boost, think they call it the wastegate rattle. Apparently its a well known issue but VAG dont seem to have a solution for it. Its not too bad if im honest, I may mention it to the dealer if its persists when I bring it in for its first service

Ahhhh, THIS...
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...een-1500-3000-rpm.214068/page-10#post-2633358

Reactions: ASRman
Ah yes that old chestnut. Audi have long since palmed that of as a feature of the car to complement the b&o rattle.

Question. Mine doesn't have that rustling noise. As its a feature, could i complain to my local dealer.