1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New S3 - Cancelled

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mark88, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mark88

mark88 Member

Well, the pics from paris tipped me over the edge. Regardless of how the car drives its looks alone are enough to force me to cancel and I just have.

Dissapointed really but Audi should have released this car a long time before now.

It seems it would have cost me around 12k to upgrade to the S3(30k specced sensibly) and I wasn't prepared to do that, given it's looks the same as my current car.

Going back to Paris, wasn't this where the S3 was supposed to be launched? yet they only have 1 gluto orange S3 but a number of R8s and 2 MK2 TTs. Says alot.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dmaudi

dmaudi Member

for what it's worth,
    in my opinion you've made the right move,

I just don't think there is the necessary margin between the S3 and the rest of the range to make the new one really special, this is what they achieved with the original and why it's still such a great car.

that the 8L version holds onto its value so well is proof of this, does anyone really think this will be same for the 8P mass-market version, I don't I'm afraid.

go on then Mark, tell us, any thoughts on where your deposit money's going now?

4. mark88

mark88 Member

Dunno yet, I'm going to wait a bit. I do want a car for around March next year though, possibly sooner. I'm considering..

TT MK-2, S-Line, TT-S
    BMW M3 CSL
    Porsche Cayman S, 997, 996 C4S
    Audi B7 RS4, when used prices drop
    Audi R8 (would have to save BIG but it's tempting)
    Audi A5 when it appears

can't think of much else I fancy

5. dmaudi

dmaudi Member

wow, good list :hubbahubba:

very germanic, think most on here would like any of those.

I've been thinking CSL too, hoping for some price moves with the V8 model coming soon, but seem firm for now.

thought about Leon Cupra?, maybe a bit leftfield I know

but IMHO will be way more fun than Golf GTI, R32 or the S3

6. mark88

mark88 Member

Leon doesn't really do it for me, nor do I think I could live with the interior. Looks cheap in comparison to Audi interiors IMO. Like alot of others I suppose.

Plus, isn't there to be a Cupra R round the corner?

7. auroan

auroan Active Member

If the cost is too high, I reckon they'll start throwing in extras to shift them. Remeber the A4 range had upgrades to SE spec for free for a while recently

8. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor

I think you've made the right choice mate, i don't think it has a patch on the impact that the original one made. A nice list of cars there aswell... :eyebrows:

9. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

What reason did you give ?

"coz it looks like any other fecking A3" ?

What did the dealer say ?
    I'll plump for arrogant disinterest,based on the fact he thinks he'll be ale to sell it tens time over anyway.

10. mark88

mark88 Member

I gave the reason I said, it looks identical to my current car. Not heard back from him yet but I don't really care if he's pissed off. They've had the interest off my 2k deposit for the last 6 months or whatever so it's not like they've lost anything, all they did was put my name on a list.

It's not my fault, nor theirs. I also can't see myself there being much demand for this car. Given the price, dodgy reviews and the competition. Even the new TT is a way better deal than the S3.

11. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

I can also well understand the decision. It's just too much money.

The Porsche Cayman looks much better value.

12. john2garden

john2garden Gonad

13. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

:icon_thumright:
    Smooth move! Everyone of those cars wipes the floor with the new S3 imo the whole S3 project seemed like a lazy afterthought to be honest.
    3.5 stars from evo imo is pretty bad especially when the pug 207 and suzuki swift get higher ratings on the following pages!
    Of all the cars on your list I would do the RS4 sprint blue or CSL in grey :wub:

14. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

Hi Mark,

When I read your post I thought Audi had cancelled the S3!! Just me being thick me thinks......

I'll be driving one when/if available in November and then making my final decision.

Regards, John.

15. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

The new M3 is a couple of years off isn't it? Doubt the prices will drop for a while on the current M3 either...

16. Steve-L

Steve-L Member

Maybe being a bit thick here but are you saying all A3 8L models were brought out for a niche market but the 8P model is for the mass market ? If that was the case surely the 8P models would all be cheaper.

17. dmaudi

dmaudi Member

NO just the s3 model,

it was less of a lazy run-out model and personally I think the 8P S3 is a much more mainstream range-topper not likely to deliver in the same way the 8L did

18. dmaudi

dmaudi Member

I thought the latest was spring 07 for the v8 M3?

a drop would be nice, agree unlikely

though really only looking for a softening of values of year old CS or CSL now the approved used warranties are so pricey on M cars

19. benw123

benw123 Moderator

Sums it up perfectly. £27k for a car with a four-pot engine? No thanks. It's at least £3k overpriced, or even more when you think of the R32.

20. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

He could, if he could live with the $hit Jap interior. Been there, wouldn't want to go back.

21. stevec

stevec Member

I agree too, the pictures from Paris just served to emphasise the point that a number of colours for the S3 (seemingly black and white) don't seem to do it for the new S3, but I am fairly sure Sprint Blue will, ASBO Orange seems to…

I have been reading a number of other posts about the S3 and I think we were treated last time with the old S3 and its flared arches…

None of the other S cars had flared arches, if you look at the S4, 6 & 8 at the time they were very plain cars with an S badge and modified underpinnings. What made them special was stealth.

With the news of the 135Ti from BMW I am certain we will see a RS3 in a year as there is no way Audi want to see the BMW boys steal a march on them, and I am sure with this will arrive with flared arches as is visible on the RS4 of new and old...

I am sure the new S3 will retain its value just as the old one, but without a doubt its going to be easier for some one to make a body kit to copy its looks, but that happens for all cars these days so no big deal…

I looked through the same list of cars posed here. The M3 CSL for example you just cant live with daily its got no aircon for crying out loud on a 30K car, no thanks! I'd try the M3 it’s a lot of fun for the 180 odd dry days of the year. Me? I want 24/7 AWD fun, and build quality too… Scoobys are great to drive, but have no class even if you remove the big spoiler.

I am sure we are all going to get our visual kicks with the RS3 arrives, but that is likely to be nearly 40K, plus options, given 12 months time for it to arrive we are looking at used RS4s for that money. I know where i'll be heading, plus by that time the new shape A3 will be nearly with us.

I think 26K for an S3 is not bad given what it is, and there will be few numbers of people driving them like there were last time, which is great too, even if there are a lot of S-line cars out there, they won't be S3's.

I do add that the S4 looks not dissimilar than an A4 on any previous model, its only really the RS4 (past and present) that ever stood out from the range, to be honest if the S3 turns out to be a poor drive and don’t expect it for a minute (My drive in an A3 2.0T S-line was extremely disappointing compared to my current old S3), I am sure my £30K will be still spent at the dealer, just paying for an 18 month old S4 as opposed to a new S3. There are a number of tidy new model examples just beginning to show up at the main dealers, and its AWD fun, build quality and practicality for 365 days of the year...

22. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. mark88

mark88 Member

I personally think the S4 is even lazier than the S3 in terms of design. Doesn't it have the exact same front bumper as the A4 S-Line? ...but at least you get a V8.

There's almost 100bhp difference between the top spec A4 and the S4, there's 15bhp difference between the top spec A3 and S3. It's hardly rocketed to the top of the range. And I'm pretty sure no A4 sounds better than the S4.

Btw, the S3 is £27k base spec. Add metallic paint and full leather and you're at 28k already. I found it hard to keep it under £30k because to make it a bit special you have to add bucket seats and flat bottom wheel.

24. raymie

raymie 6 pot AP

mark88 u must b minted m8, a would luv to dream to buy the cars u mentioned on the above posts

25. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

26. stevec

stevec Member

Agree with you reagrding the design and if you look three models back on the A4/S4 all it ever really had was a different bumper. I prefer a bit of stealth, means the rozzers have to look harder to pick you out! Great!

The BHP issue should be taken into concept of per tonne, yes 100BHP is more on the S4, but when I drve one it was not noticably quicker then the current S3 as its a huge V8 lump under the bonnet, I am sure the same is true of the 3.2 vs 2.0t 262 BHP, that the unspring weight is going to add to the driving experience, but its going to be difficult for Audi to compete with the 335ti with the S3 and overlap into the S4/RS4 will occur unless they keep the RS3 to around 300bhp, I am sure that is what limited the S3's output and design this time. They are very late with it to market though IMO.

You got that spot on about the pricing, guess I was getting carried away! I'm undecided until I drive the car of course.

I'll be interested to see what you decide. The R8 is nice, I keep looking at RS4's but am not yet prepared to shell out £50K (I am tempted though).

Sportscars were the other option too...

TT MK-2, S-Line, TT-S - sat in one it awesome, but no rear seats, and at 30K would look a at used porsche or ferrari instead
    BMW M3 CSL - Its an animal, no creature conforts and slick tyres, been out in an M3, blimey :) but its only good for 1/2 the year, its a handful when its wet.
    Porsche Cayman S, 997, 996 C4S - I looked at used Aston's and Ferrari's but the problem is total cost of ownership for most sports cars, you will spend 1/2 the value of the car servicing it in 4 years or so. Too expensive for me, would ratehr seand the money upfront!
    Audi B7 RS4, when used prices drop - totally agree, will think again when they get to £40K...
    Audi R8 (would have to save BIG but it's tempting) - sold out in the UK for its first year so you need to put your deposit down now for two years time! Also check if you dealer will service them as not all will be lucky enough to.
    Audi A5 when it appears - I think this is just a A4 lookalike (similar to the Cavalier/Calibra of a few years ago) would have the RS4 as first choice over the A5.

Let me know what you decide, will be very interested to see your choice! :-D

27. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S4

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but why did you place an order for a car you hadn't seen or driven? OK, so you've cancelled the order after seeing it, but what if you had liked the pics, gone ahead and paid for it, and then discovered after buying that you didn't actually like driving it?

I'm truly baffled.

28. mark88

mark88 Member

Lots of people 'put their name down' for cars they haven't even seen. It's called getting in the queue and I did just that. No harm done, as the deposit is fully refundable.

If you wait until the car is released and then decide to order it, chances are you may have to wait a long time to get it, an example of this would be the new M3 which I'm sure already has a long waiting list.

29. mark88

mark88 Member

Not really, as half of the cars in the list I'd be looking at PCP.

When you start talking about 32k for a 4pot hatchback I think your mind starts to wander elsewhere, that's certainly the case for me.

I wish I'd have ordered an RS4 when it came out, got it on finance, kept it for a 12-18mths. It's almost been out a year now has it and used prices are still sky high. I've not seen any for under £49k. :-/

The R8 does look amazing I agree but I'm not sure whether you could use it everyday? like you could a Porsche.

30. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

As far as the M3 is concerned as far as I know the V8 is isnt out till 2008. A lot of people spec'd air-con etc for the CSL and imo is a bargain at 30grand. The latest S cars have been quite understated, but look at the new S6 :wub: flalred arches and LED daytime running lights...

31. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

When I bought my S3 4 years ago, the dealer price was 27 1/2 grand. It's got a few options on it but nothing OTT and I ended up paying 24 from an importer. Now, it appears that a new shape with similar spec will cost 30,000 in the UK. I'd say a 10% increase over 4 years is perfectly acceptable. There's some people on here who are in danger of quickly becoming like their grandfathers ('when I were a lad...') :laugh:

32. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

Oh yes, I've seen those running lights on the front bumper. What were they thinking...... Still maybe you could pull the fuse out.

Regards, John.

33. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

[​IMG]

Nice ;)

34. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

I quite like them!

Saw one in Stratford in August, and really liked it, lol

35. jdp1962

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think I'd take a punt on getting in a queue when I don't know what I'm queueing for. I'm less worried about waiting for something than I am about making sure first that it's exactly what I want. Anyway, have fun choosing the alternative.

36. jdp1962

I think the point is that you'd need to have a lot of disposable income to fund the PCP on the cars listed.

37. mark88

mark88 Member

I'd have a nice deposit on a RS4 when I sell my A3, then it's just a matter of paying monthly for however long I want the car for. And given the deposit could be circa 20k the monthly payments would be pretty reasonable.

38. mark88

mark88 Member

It's not a punt though, given the deposit is refundable. Better to get in the queue IMO than wish you had later on.