New S3 - A3 Differences

RedUn

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can help me here, I've been on here as a guest doing quite a few searches and I can't seem to find out what i'm looking for.

I'm after finding out what the technical differences are between the new S3 and a 2.0T Quattro.

Does the S3 use a different turbo? are the internals the same? also is the suspension any different?

I'm hoping to build a car that handles, stops and goes really well and i'm just trying to work out whether I need an S3 as a base car or if the 2.0T will do basically.

Thanks a lot I hope you can help me out
Rick

Just read the turbos are different between the two, does anyone know what the standard 2.0T turbo is rated too compared to the S3 turbo?

Thanks again
Rick

i ve heard the new S3's front suspension is different & uses allot more aluminium. I would imagine the turbo is bigger to seeing as a remapped 2.0T makes about 250bhp.

mattyboy199 said:
i ve heard the new S3's front suspension is different & uses allot more aluminium. I would imagine the turbo is bigger to seeing as a remapped 2.0T makes about 250bhp.
Doh! I was hoping just for different dampers/springs/arb's, do you know if I can retrofit the ally suspension components?

Thanks
Rick

The suspension arms are alluminium and you should be able to retro fit them although they will be expensive I would imagine. The engine has a larger turbo and uprated internal engine componants(could just be rods and pistons though).

Depending how much your going to spend I would think you would be better off starting with an S3 and upgrading that than wasting money upgrading so much on a 2.0TQ just to even get it to S3 spec.

The new Audi S3 in detail : http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_2495.shtml

Fundamentally stronger: the engine block

Compared with its starting version with an output of 147 kW (200 bhp), the 195 kW (265 bhp) engine of the S3 fundamentally represents another evolutionary leap. Pistons with stronger pins and new rings as well as reinforced connecting rods with new bearings transmit the powerful forces to the crankshaft. The cylinder block has been reinforced at the main-bearing pedestals and the main-bearing cap.

The cylinder head consists of a new, extra-lightweight aluminium-silicon alloy that exhibits high temperature resistance and strength.

The exhaust camshaft timing and the high-pressure injectors with increased cross-section have been adjusted to accommodate the increased power output.

The new turbocharger has a larger turbine and compression rotor than the basic unit. Its cast steel casing – produced as a single piece including the manifold – withstands exhaust gas temperatures of up to 1,050 degrees. The turbocharger generates a boost pressure of 1.2 bar instead of 0.9 bar on the starting version.

The intercooler: 850 kg of air per hour

An intercooler drastically lowers the temperature of the compressed air, thus increasing the amount of air that is necessary for combustion. Both its housing and the mesh through which the air passes are made from aluminium; the depth of the mesh has been increased, resulting in considerably greater efficiency. The intercooler is capable of an air throughput of up to 850 kilograms per hour or, put another way, over 650,000 litres of air.

The new high-performance turbo engine tips the scales at only 152 kilograms, significantly less than comparable engines from direct competitors – with a positive impact on the axle load distribution and therefore on handling characteristics. With its compact dimensions – it is just 652 mm long, 648 mm wide and 666 mm high – the TFSI is ideal for transverse installation.

Whatever tasks the driver wishes the engine to perform, the powerful TFSI accomplishes them with ease, thanks to its 195 kW (265 bhp) at 6,000 rpm. As a high-performance sports engine, it revs up effortlessly, responds intrinsically well to the throttle and produces strikingly sonorous acoustics. The four-valve engine with undersquare configuration is simultaneously impressive for its powerful traction. It puts 350 Nm of torque onto the crankshaft even at engine speeds as low as 2,500 rpm, and is able to maintain this high level of torque up to 5,000 rpm.

Thanks for the replys and that link it had basically everything I wanted to know in one place!

Just been out in an S3, although they wouldn't let me drive it for insurance purposes it was very very nice just needs more power, gripped really well though, very impressed!

Does anyone know how tuneable a 2litre FSI engine is? I know on the old 1.8T's there were people with 400bhp is the new one going to be the same?

Thanks
Rick