New S3/A3.3.2?

nicks3

Reaction score
So want to go from manual S3 to dsg, what would you do.......buy a 3.2 S line now or wait for the rumoured S3 bearing in mind no-one knows when/if/what?

depends how long you want to keep the car, and if you're buying new or not (the 3.2 that is). I only ask, as some people seem to change every year or two!

I gave up waiting at Xmas and bought a 2.0T Sline in the hope that Audi eventually get their ***** in gear and build an S3 for next summer. That way mine should be 18 months old and I'll get a decent amount of mileage out of the depriciation... went for the 2 litre as the residuals are slightly better than the 3.2 and it was cheaper in the first place.

According to Autocar, the S3 is slated for launch next year. I'd expect to see something at the Geneva show next March.

My dealer told me on Saturday, unprompted, that the new S3 will be launched in the UK in June 2006 and it will be 265bhp.

[ QUOTE ]
According to Autocar, the S3 is slated for launch next year. I'd expect to see something at the Geneva show next March.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offence mate, but Autocar said 2 yrs ago that the S3 would be out in late 2004. The tend to talk out of their chuff holes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And Autocar also bought us news on the RS3, and release dates.. more lies i tell you.

Thats my problem......even if it were at the Geneva show in March 2006 then I am sure we wouldn't see it here in the Uk until late 2006. Thats a long wait and hence my problem. The only thing stopping me is the possible resale value of the 3.2 although I would have thought that plenty of people would want a good one owner loaded 3.2 at 18 months old?

One more thought, the new A4 has a 3.2 FSI engine so it makes you wonder how long it will be until the A3 gets that engine, making the current 3.2 the old engine which is also less powerful, has more emmissions which hit the company car tax hard and does less to the gallon?

Anyone worried about company car tax wouldn't get an A3 3.2 in the first place. I wouldn't worry about the new FSI engine anyway. The new FSI engine is supposedly better, but only fractionally more powerfull.

[ QUOTE ]
One more thought, the new A4 has a 3.2 FSI engine so it makes you wonder how long it will be until the A3 gets that engine,

[/ QUOTE ]

A very long time, infact never. The 3.2 in the A4 is a wide angle V6 and is a totally different engine to the VR6 derived narrow angle V6 in the A3. They will just FSI this engine as well in the near future no doubt...

ohh the Re sales values of the 3.2 please dont start that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you can afford a 3.2 with all the extra tax you have to pay for it, who cares about resale value.
Its Smiles per miles that count, if everyone was so concerned with resale value, Why buy a car. Get a Horse instead ! LOL !!

[ QUOTE ]
Get a Horse instead ! LOL !!

[/ QUOTE ]

4wd, 1bhp, nice!

also i've heard the new Shetland Pony range will do 3 miles on 2 sugar lumps!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

PS: i'd get mine lowered too, how rad!

[ QUOTE ]

If you can afford a 3.2 with all the extra tax you have to pay for it

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay tax on it? Some of us dont have company cars or unlimited funds so yes although I could have had a 3.2 common sense prevailed... until the S3 appears that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif