1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New S2 owner...

sAMsKi Nov 20, 2003

1. sAMsKi

sAMsKi New Member

Hey up,

I recently bought a nice low mileage S2 estate [L reg - 78K]. I love it!! I have had a slight problem with it when changing from first into second - normally with the revs high. It occasionally crunches the change into second. Is this likely to be a case of me getting used to the car? Somehow I doubt that as I don't crunch any other changes and it does seem to generally happen when the revs in 1st gear are high...any ideas?

Ta, Sam. *pleased to join you lot*

2. 603ELO

603ELO Member

Most cars suffer the most with sycromesh wear from first to second as is the change that is most rushed.

From pure mechanical sympathy I rarely use high revs in first as gearbox loads are very high and second gear synco take a hammering.

Particularly in a car like an S2, driving is not about high revs but torque. I would personally use first to get rolling and then change up to second rather than trying a flying start. You should not have any problems with second gear crunches then.