New S-Line, 1st impressions

cosmicblue

Reaction score
As posted earlier my S-Line Sportback turned up this morning as is always the way the one working day where one would have liked to have got away a little earlier turned out to drag on until 6.15pm (started at 7am).

So a 75 mile commute home in the dark - some intial thoughts:

1) Door locks mentioned in a separate post

2) The Xenon headlights are way better than the Xenon ones I had in my A4 Cabrio - and yes they are Bi-Xenon now too. The inner driving light position has a sidelight bulb in it.

3) The S-Line suspension is HARD, on the M40 I could feel the flesh on face wobbling (and no I'm not some fat git either!), I won't condem the suspension just yet cos' when my 1.8t sport Cabrio was new the suspension was too hard on that as well it takes a few thousand miles to be in.

4) The SatNav is as brilliant as the previous version - there are some subtle changes to the user-interface compared with my last one........

5) The BOSE sounds good, especially when cranked.

6) The two inner buttons on the multi-function wheel don't do anything unless you have a phone fitted.

7) Performance is pretty rapid although the engine is clearly quite tight still

8) Steering is very precise and involving - light at walking pace and ultra direct when the speed picks up. I have read several reports that have slated the A3 steering feel so Audi must have fixed it.

9) Getting a comfortable driving position will take a bit of effort - the left foot rest seems to close to the drivers seat - almost as though car was designed by someone with short legs?

I can relate to Bowfers comments about getting sore in the seat already - goes with a change of car for me.

10) 48.7 mpg on the trip made me smile as did leaving the M40 a junction early to enjoy the back roads - this car really handles well,

11) Build quality is excellent (aside from the door issue) and the quality of the paint finish is gorgeous.

Sounds lovely CB, would be nice to see some decent pics of the Avus sportback.

With regard to the seats,I saw a thread in the A4 forum that suggested the A4 S-line seats have lumbar and tilt (thigh support) adjustment.

If that's true,it seems weird that the A3 doesn't.

The suspension doesn't bed in,it's just HARD ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're right about the driving position.
It's almost 'Italian ape' in design.
Short legs and long arms.
I'd like to sit further back from the pedals,but the wheel is on it's maximum reach adjustment.

I actually find I ignore the 'clutch' rest and put my foot on the bulkhead to the right of it.

Sounds similar to my new S-line in most regards. However, coming from a 206Gti180, the s-line suspension is pure wallowing luxury /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Oh, and my mpg currently reads 21.7... must be something wrong with it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif