New rods?

Reaction score
Just looking some advice. I have read a lot on different threads of people changing there rods. At what stage should these be changed and is there a certain make that they should be changed to for more reliability?

At the age of the 1.8t then rod lottery can happen at any time arguably... if the level of tune is sensible and boost not brought in with a whack then it stands a chance but if you want to have piece of mind and get the most out of your hardware then rods are advised... they are a pre-requisit if changing the std turbo to a hybrid...

Integrated Engineering rods are amoung the best out there... only fit rifle drilled rods though... S3's use 20mm pins (I say this as if you search for rods there are 19mm ones too)

http://badger5.biz/epages/3927bc2c-...-4739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6/Products/"RD144 rods"

<tuffty/>

At the age of the 1.8t then rod lottery can happen at any time arguably... if the level of tune is sensible and boost not brought in with a whack then it stands a chance but if you want to have piece of mind and get the most out of your hardware then rods are advised... they are a pre-requisit if changing the std turbo to a hybrid...

Integrated Engineering rods are amoung the best out there... only fit rifle drilled rods though... S3's use 20mm pins (I say this as if you search for rods there are 19mm ones too)

http://badger5.biz/epages/3927bc2c-6485-4739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/3927bc2c-6485-4739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6/Products/"RD144 rods"

<tuffty/>

What is the opinion on these http://www.performancebyie.com/inte...can-144x20-rods-1-8t-fsi-16v-early-8v-audi-vw ?

I have them in my setup, so far so good, IE write they have been tested in applications over 1000hp, but I have no experience on different rods myself so I just wonder.

Reactions: Solberg
What is the opinion on these http://www.performancebyie.com/inte...can-144x20-rods-1-8t-fsi-16v-early-8v-audi-vw ?

I have them in my setup, so far so good, IE write they have been tested in applications over 1000hp, but I have no experience on different rods myself so I just wonder.

stronger.. but you have to ask yourself just how strong you want vs what you will actually produce..
Easy to go OTT on some things.. for no benefit at all in real world.

I use their std rods, rifle drilled option (tuscans are RD as std) and put them through some use in +400lbft/600bhp builds.

Reactions: Solberg
other than not rifle drilled....................

your money

your car

your choice what to spend on what...........

other than not rifle drilled....................

your money

your car

your choice what to spend on what...........

What spec do I need for an Agu? 19 or 20mm?

Upload 2016 11 24 16 12 44

Thank you all very much for your sound advice. I'm in a challenge as to where best to invest my limited amount of funds. I currently have an a3 8l 1.8t Agu with 234bhp to my knowledge (this was what I was told upon purchase) I want to go into track days and I feel as I'm going to be pushing the engine it would benefit from sound internals. On this basis which is my best option considering funds are short...?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed =]

Weak points on the 1.8t is rods and exhaust valves for the most part....

Prawn ran just rods in a 'refreshed' AGU for a fair while before dropping a valve...

Engine damage varies as a result so its up to you really... 1.8t's are generally old engines (especially AGU's) so wear and longevity will vary wildy...

If a compression and leak down test proves ok you can rod and ring the bottom end... head wise the exhaust guides wear quite badly, exhaust valves seats and valves pit and can break... exhaust springs go weak...

Ideally you would use a set of inconel supertech exhaust valves, new guides and a kiss on the seats if they need it... you could also use Cat Gold springs for the exhausts.. note its the exhausts that tend to be the focus, inlets tend to be fine due to not seeing so much heat

Oil pump and pick up and maybe a baffled sump are an idea too...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: SHUk
Thank you all very much for your sound advice. I'm in a challenge as to where best to invest my limited amount of funds. I currently have an a3 8l 1.8t Agu with 234bhp to my knowledge (this was what I was told upon purchase) I want to go into track days and I feel as I'm going to be pushing the engine it would benefit from sound internals. On this basis which is my best option considering funds are short...?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed =]
staying at 234bhp if so std rods are fine for that level

Reactions: SHUk