1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New rear springs for 1.9TDI

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by WeeHector, Jan 29, 2014.

1. WeeHector

WeeHector Member

[Jan 29, 2014]
    Hi all, I've just been told I need two lower straight front arms and a new rear spring, so had a look on ECP site and they have Sachs springs for £39 each, are these any good? I'm sure I read somewhere that they are OEM springs but I could be mistaken.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Feb 1, 2015]

3. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Jan 29, 2014]
    I would buy the springs in pairs.
  4. MooLard

MooLard Member

[Jan 29, 2014]
    Sachs springs are a well known brand and should be fine, I'm guessing part of a coil has snapped off warranting the need for a new one?
    Like Mike says, it's recommended to replace these in pairs as the old one will most probably be different in manufacturer as well as age, wear and material.

One other option, if just half a coil has snapped off is you could cut the same off of the other side... Probably not the first option though!
  5. spartacus 68

spartacus 68 Active Member

[Jan 29, 2014]
    Not something I'd be recommending. :no:

if the spring has sheared (usually breaks at the ends dropping an inch or so off the right height), then the part is already terminal. The spring is probably fatigued, will be covered in surface rust and generally in poor condition. Replace in pairs, end of.
  6. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

[Jan 29, 2014]
    Time to go Eibach all 'round :eyebrows:
  7. WeeHector

WeeHector Member

[Jan 30, 2014]
    Thanks for the replies guys. Ha the Eibachs are tempting but, as usual, car parts always seem to break when money is tight. The place I usually use said the arm bushes were knackered and the spring was broken, but they only fit OEM parts and wanted nearly £600 to supply and fit both arms and both springs which I just can't afford at the minute, so I figured I'd buy decent ones myself and get someone else to fit them.
  8. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

[Jan 30, 2014]
    Eibach, do it.
  9. Jimmy TDI

Jimmy TDI Pro Tinkerer

[Jan 30, 2014]
    I got Lemforder (who supply Audi) ones from ECP for half the price Audi wanted for the lower arms.
  10. WeeHector

WeeHector Member

[Jan 30, 2014]
    Yeah I looked for Lemforder parts but, typically, the arm I need is the only one they don't list in that brand