New owner, looking to modify 1999 2.5 Avant.

neemo

Reaction score
Hi All
im new to the world of Audi.

ive just purchased a 1999 2.5 A4 Avant (B5) AFB engine code.

and id like to coax a little more power out of it, its the 150BHP model
id like to fit a bigger turbo and get it tuned/chipped, to around 200bhp +

what would be the best all round turbo to look for please, im after something easy to fit
as ill be installing it myself,

with the tuning what would be the best tuning box to look out for
im down in south wales near swansea so dont know of any local trusted tuners around me.

thanks in advance
Neemo.

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. You may find some info in the faqs thread at the top of this section. The boys will give you advise as we all very friendly and helpful on here. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Reactions: neemo
Have a look on the Diesel thread - a few guys here have tuned the 2.5
Adamss24 is the man to speak too or search his threads- he's done a lot on them.

Cam wear are an issue with these - along with the main fuel pump.
Diesel Bob is the man to repair/overhaul pumps - or PM me as I may be getting rid of one soon as my '99 2.5Q avant is dead.
Have a look at my thread in the FAQ's regards thermostats - another pig of a job on these!

You'll also want VCDS.
Get the genuine one from NHN (or others?) on here if at all possible - £250 odd notes I'm afraid but well worth the money.
If not, get an e-bay lead cheap, find out it does ok and get VCDS-lite from Ross-Tech.
It's limited but free and legal.
You'll probably end up going for the full deal if you do all your own work.

Again if you're interested I have a Genuine KII lead (no CAN bus) I keep meaning to put up for sale as I have the CAN-HEX now. KII does the B5, but not the newer cars.

Great cars though - I'm still running my 2000 plate saloon after putting 60,000 miles in four years.

Last edited:
Hi All
im new to the world of Audi.

ive just purchased a 1999 2.5 A4 Avant (B5) AFB engine code.

and id like to coax a little more power out of it, its the 150BHP model
id like to fit a bigger turbo and get it tuned/chipped, to around 200bhp +

what would be the best all round turbo to look for please, im after something easy to fit
as ill be installing it myself,

with the tuning what would be the best tuning box to look out for
im down in south wales near swansea so dont know of any local trusted tuners around me.

thanks in advance
Neemo.
You need to set a target and a budget, there's no point going for stage 1 for example unless you don't like modifying much...power is addictive and you soon get used to it ! Your power goal will determine choice of injector nozzles, turbo and clutch. With Bhp there's loads of metal bending torque which will require better brakes, better suspension and better tyres. When you have all that, give me a ring- i will be able to help you on all counts !

Reactions: PAULF