New owner... key question!

Remains

Reaction score
Greetings all, just picked up my first Audi yesterday - 56 plate A3 2.0 TDI. Loving it so far, and quite a step up from my old banger!

I'm sure I'll have a few questions but first one is the availability of spare keys as it only came with one key.

I know that for the full key and radio fob it has to be ordered by an Audi dealer for something around the £150 mark if I remember right? However I have also seen just the key section available to be cut on places like Ebay for around £10 to £20. The spare will be literally that, just a spare and rarely used so will just the bare key be enough to get me into the car if I lock the proper keys in there? I am assuming though that it will not start the car due to the immobiliser if I actually lose the original keys?

And on a similar note, am I right in thinking that the car auto-locks after 60 seconds unattended? If so is there any way to disable this until I get a spare key? Paranoid about leaving the key in the car and it auto-locking on me!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the keys, but on the subject of getting your keys locked in from the auto-lock I don't think its an issue. It only autolocks if it was previously locked, is unlocked and then no doors are opened. It would be pretty hard to get the keys in the car without opening the door unless leaving the window cracked and slipping the keys in!! :)

Yep, you can buy a fob off ebay and get the blade cut at say timpsons or somewhere simular, i did this with my SEAT, you need to find what series fob you have (Under the key blade) to add it to you car i think you put the new key in the ignition turn it on but dont start, then close the door and lock the car then unlock it, i think thats how it works but you can do some more diggin, hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for the info... the auto-lock function is clearer to me now!

Have also done some Googling on programming the second key by using both keys in ignition and door - seems to be a bit vague whether it will actually work but will give it a go before I shell out for the dealers to program one for me!

I believe you can code the remote part of another key using your key as long as its the correct frequency but as said above the immob part has to be bought brand new as its coded to your vin number and a used one cant be changed.

Unfortunately I believe that the procedure metioned above will onlu work if you have TWO working keys. If you require a spare key because you only have one then I am afraid it is a main dealer jobby.

I am of the belief that it is only the dealers that can extract the SKC key from the car. Or it may be possible if you have both VAG-COM and VAG Techo?!?

Sure that someone will be able to confirm this!