1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nogaro S3 owner

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by feck_on_a_stick, Dec 21, 2011.

1. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Dec 21, 2011]
    Hi everyone.

All being well I'll be picking up my new S3 tomorrow night and looking forward to it. It's 2002 Nogaro with just over 74,000 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be my first Audi and my first turbo car, having driven n/a Japanese stuff pretty much my whole life. My last car was a 2008 Honda S2000 GT so the S3 is going to be a big change. I've also recently bought a Mk3 Golf GTI 8v to use as an everyday beater so the S3 will be kept good.......at least for now.

Bodywork-wise it looks in great condition but it still needs a few wee odds and sods done. There's no battery cover, and some of the climate buttons have worn, but these are things that can be changed, and fingers crossed are all I'll need to do. A spring has rusted and snapped at the top, but the current owner has ordered a replacement so I'll have to get that fitted too.

I do have a few questions though........

- I'd originally taken a different S3 out for a test drive with 100,000 miles on it and found the acceleration to be very smooth with no noticable boost kicking in. When I drove this one, there was definately more of a noticable change. The current owner says it's standard but what settings should I be looking out for in VAGCOM for a standard BAM map?

I've a friend with VAGCOM so going to let him test it when I pick it up. I've been trawling through the search and found bits and pieces. I've found out that I'd need to check block 115, for requested boost on full load and a figure of around 2200mbar if its mapped. What would it be if it's standard? Is there a page somewhere showing standard settings?

- My other question is about a whistle that I heard when driving it. In 6th gear, when I accelerated, I could hear a whistling sound. It wasn't there when accelerating up through the gears. Does this sound like a simple boost leak, or could it be one of many things? lol

Ta :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    I've owned it for 4 weeks now and I'm really starting to enjoy it. The colour attracts alot of attention and friends can't believe it's 10 years old.....I can't believe it's a 10 year old car lol

It's a real nice place to be! :)

At the weekend there I finally got round to giving it it's first good clean (just a snowfoam and dry) and thought I'd put up some pics. It really needs a good machining as it looks to have been washed by the local forecourt carwashers lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've ordered a few replacement engine trim pieces as these seem to have gone missing during servicing.

I borrowed a drilled airbox from a friend's Toledo but have mixed feelings about it.

My next plans are to get it mapped in the next couple of weeks, followed by a B5 TIP and decat.

Also on the to do list is to figure out how to fix the one squeek from the car; the armrest!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Good looking car. I like the colour. Glad your enjoying it.
  5. patTTpoa

patTTpoa Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    The paint work looks in really good con!
    Smart looking S3 you have there

Pat
  6. fran-s3

fran-s3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Lovely looking car mate - enjoy it! :)
  7. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    It does look great! Lovely colour and welcome!
  8. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Nice looking motor there. Just washed mine this morning and she doesn't look bad for 11 years old either.
  9. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Jan 19, 2012]
    just a snow foam?1 what the hell is the snow foam your using?

looks a great example externally.

did you do any logging in vagcom to see if it was mapped or not?

and a simple solution to your squeek.....sell me your arm rest :)
  10. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Well if your going down the badger 5 tip, presumably you will be running it with the Jetex filter so don't need to worry about drilling your air box. I'd personally get the B5 tip before hand so it can be factored into your remap dyno results
    That does look very clean though. Would be interesting to know what you paid for it if you don't mind sharing.
  11. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Also best way for test to see if it's remapped is logging the airflow, divide the peak airflow by 0.8. That should give you the approx bhp, if all it working well anyway.
  12. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Thanks for all the messages :)

It's Valet Pro snow foam. Great stuff and just sticks to the car. Smells great as well.

Haven't logged it yet since I brought it home to find out if it's mapped but have a reference point locally that I've used to compare it to other cars I've owned and it did better than expected, although if it had a stage 1 I'd be a bit disappointed lol

I've a friend with VAGCOM and we'd originally used it when I'd bought the car to check for any errors so will use it again to see if anythings been done now I know how to work it out.

I'm staying with a panel filter rather than cone filter as I want everything to still look OEM.

As for mapping, there's nobody local that I'd really want to use to map it, but have a friend with an S4 which has had an MRC map. I really like how smooth it is so at the moment I'm considering shipping the ECU to them to get done :)
  13. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 19, 2012]
    A good test to see if its been mapped is the boost pressure, so log that, can you hear the dump in the meantime? unmapped are very quiet
  14. S3 AUO

S3 AUO Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    wonderful colour mate - look after it!
  15. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Nice car, and the BEST colour
  16. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Looks like you got yourself a good one there, very tidy.

The 8L S3 is certainly ageing well imo
  17. *Rich*

*Rich* Professional

[Jan 19, 2012]
    I like it, looks like it's been looked after, a lovely example.

i think i need some of those alloys though.... :)
  18. MattW86

MattW86 Member

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Lovely car dude... And there was me thinking I was the only noggy S3 in Northern Ireland. :rockwoot:

Matt
  19. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Welcome to the site dude, the car is beautiful, my fave colour on the S3, only wish one came up when I was looking for mine.
  20. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Jan 20, 2012]
    Thanks again for all the positive posts :)

I'll have to keep this uptodate when things progress.

Matt, good to know there's another local owner. I haven't seen another S3 in the last four weeks I've been out and about, nevermind another Nogaro. I've a friend with a Nogaro S6 and know of a Nogaro S4 on a local forum. Trying to get them together at a local VAG meet for a photoshoot if you are interested :)
  21. Dan-Jnr

Dan-Jnr Active Member

[Jan 20, 2012]
    Really nice example you have, what is the interior like?
    When I got mine I too was missing some engine bay trim, battery cover, and dust deals.
  22. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 20, 2012]
    Traitor.....;).....:undwech:
  23. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Jan 20, 2012]
    It's the blue alcantara/black leather interior and no real wear on the seats. I've treated them with Gliptone cleaner and conditioner and they've come out really well.

The climate has some wear on the buttons which seems to be a common problem and is on my list to get seen to. Engine mods will be first though :)
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  24. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

[Jan 20, 2012]
    The climate control buttons are a nightmare especially if the previous owner was someone with long nails :3sadwalk:
  25. LD3

LD3 Member

[Jan 20, 2012]
    Agreed!

26. MattW86

MattW86 Member

[Jan 20, 2012]
    I think in the last 2 yrs of ownership i have seen 3x 8L S3's. Loads of those 8p's though. Cheers for the invite but i feel my car would only ruin the pics... it is in drastic need of a new set of wheels and like yours a proper paint correction.

Matt
  27. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Jan 23, 2012]
    With funds running low this month I'm counting the days until payday til I can start ordering more bits to the car. I asked a friend who's a keen photographer if he would take some proper photos of the car and we went round the corner to a nearby industrial unit and he took some snaps. I've attached a few of them, and I'm well chuffed with how they turned out :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  28. Dan-Jnr

Dan-Jnr Active Member

[Jan 23, 2012]
    Top pictures. Hoping to get some done of mine when it's been paint corrected.
  29. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Mar 19, 2012]
    I've had my S3 for 3 months now and just put 1,000 miles on it. I'm really loving the car and getting there with the engine mods.

I had planned to send the ecu over to MRC for a map but after running some logs on VAGCOM I've discovered that at some point in it's life the car has been mapped. RESULT!

The logs also showed however that it was losing boost over 5,000 rpm. I had a feeling that the standard TIP pipe was compressing under load so ordered a Badger 5 80mm one and fitted it today. It's alot bigger than the usual replacement TIPs and got fitted today. I'm not a big fan of blue pipes, so keeping it still looking OEM, I got a black one. It's now a completely different car. I can't believe the difference it's made. Def a recommendation for a replacement [​IMG]

My OEM on the left vs the replacement on the right.

[​IMG]

I've also fitted a Forge recirculation valve and a N75 race valve (I know the J valve seems to be frowned upon here, but it was free and hasn't caused any issues just yet so we'll see how it goes lol).

Next on my to-do list was a downpipe and decat. I had a proper look under the car today and discovered that both cats look to have been opened so it seems that someone has already gutted them. Another nice surprise.

I think that's me pretty much done with the engine. I might try to get a better cold air feed to the airbox, but that's about it. Just need to get it on the rolling road.

I put a three digit plate on it over the weekend which has really cleaned it up.

[​IMG]

Next I want to do a few things to the interior, particularly the climate buttons and headlight switch where they have worn away.

I'm also thinking about lowering it, although I'm not 100% sure it really needs it. Sitting still - yes......when it's going, I think it still looks pretty purposeful....... hmmmm.....
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  30. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

[Mar 19, 2012]
    Car is looking good mate B5 TIP makes so much difference you should go for the Jetex cone filter you will love it! Good thing about N Ireland plates you can't tell how old the car is but all the car's there look as if they have private plates!
  31. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

[Mar 19, 2012]
    It's a great colour. Do like it a lot. Good luck with the mods!
  32. ChaddyA3

ChaddyA3 Member

[Mar 20, 2012]
    Soo Clean buddy, Looks awesome :) all in all looks pretty much brand new :) Cheers
  33. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

[Oct 9, 2012]
    Unfortunately I've no real changes to the car. I got a DA polisher for my birthday and spent about 15 hours on the paintwork. It's certainly changed the appearance. I didn't realise Nogaro had such a nice metallic/pearl paint :drool:

Mean and moody pic taken at a local VAG meet.

[​IMG]

Titanic Dubs is a new local VAG show held at the Titanic dry dock. I figured I'd take the S3 for a laugh even though it's pretty much OEM. I'd a great day. The show was pretty relaxed and the location was a bit different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've a standard S3 downpipe which is soon being modified to replace the twin pipe with a singular 2.5" pipe and hoping that will be done in the next month or so.

Looking at some of the cars at Titanic Dubs has me starting to think about going back to owning something a bit more fun to drive, especially a nice clean mk1 or mk2 Golf with an ABF 16 valve and throttle bodies. I just don't drive it which is a shame. The last tank of petrol lasted me 2 months and I drive my mk3 GTI more :blush:

Maybe making it go faster will change my mind lol
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  34. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

[Oct 9, 2012]
    Car looks good mate you got a nice day for your meet!
  35. Squirrelofdoom

Squirrelofdoom Member

[Oct 11, 2012]
    best color for the s3 i think (apart from yellow obviously :p)