New Mondeo thinks its an Aston.... or a Jag...

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Courtesy of Autocar Magazine: Detroit motor show: Ford Mondeo - Autocar.co.uk

Seeing a bit of Aston in the front grille, and a big of Jag-ness in the back view. But will it make the blue oval sell like a 3 series?

Ford-Mondeo-611212114317901600x1060.jpg

Ford-Mondeo-6112121143569961600x1060.jpg

Seeings I've subjected you to something as dull as a Mondeo, time to rebalance the force, here is the new Honda NSX being shown at Detroit this week:

91121291329471600x1060.jpg

Front end looks better but only because they've snaffled it from Aston. Its a Ford so all the oil will come out, and bits will come off in your hand.

I like the look of the new Honda.

I want a Q7.
No idea what the red thing is but it reminds me of a Q7 and I want one.

N8's right; a variation of the '3'

Audi has taken the wraps off its Audi Q3 SUV Vail concept at the Detroit motor show. Designed with a winter sports theme, the Q3 Vail is 40mm wider and 30mm higer than the production Q3 model and features flared arches, roof bars with integrated wide-angled LED lights, and 20-inch alloys clad in off-road tyres.

See Detroit show pics of the Audi Q3 Vail concept
Powering the AWD Audi Q3 Vail concept is the firm’s familiar 2.5-litre, five-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, which is driven via a seven-speed S tronic transmission. The Vail produces 310bhp and 295lb ft of torque, which Audi claims will propel the SUV from 0-62mph in 5.5sec, with top speed achieved at 163mph.
Further details of the Audi Q3 Vail concept (the name of which is inspired by a Colorado mountain resort) include a diffuser-integrated exhaust system, ‘Energy Red’ paintwork and a single-frame aluminium grille.
Inside, induction chargeable lights, induction warmed drinks flasks and heated cushions come as standard. Also included are black, ribbed floor mats, special leather upholstery - thin strips of leather are interwoven with yarn – and a Nappa leather instrument panel, with aluminium inlays.
Finishing the Q3s winter sports theme is a charging station in the boot as well as a heated load floor mat, ‘which provides a warm area to sit on when putting on or taking off your ski boots,’ according to Audi.
The Vail concept has been launched to whet the appetite of American buyers ahead of the launch of the Q3 later this year. The compact SUV's US launch is critical for Audi, which needs to increase sales from 2011's 117,500 to 150,000 in the next three years. Audi CEO, Rupert Stadler told Bloomberg News recently "The next pillar of the market that we have to conquer is the United States. We see opportunities in the SUV and sedan segments."

There's just too much trying to happen on the mondeo. Too many lines running from front to back. Quite like the Aston grill though and it'll always sell big as a rep mobile. Loving the Honda, and the lights on the Q3.

Liking the front of the Mondeo but not the back. The Q3 is quite nice, it would do well over here.

Yeah i'm a big fan of the Austin. Just the fogs dont look quite right but hey it isnt an Austin!

Even if it looked like an R8, I doubt I would buy one, unless I was desperate!

That's the way i feel about that Peugeot RCZ thingy, looks really smart and TT/R8-ish but i couldn't bring myself to buy one!

Great that means more rep mobile mondeos up my **** thinking there all driving astons now!

If they make that a mid engined 400bhp Quattro, and keep the looks for around 50k I want one. That would be a serious bit of kit and very sexy.

Even if it looked like an R8, I doubt I would buy one, unless I was desperate!

I used to think like that, and whilst Ford's don't exactly excite me we run some Focus's at work, they get a proper hammering and do well over 50k per annum and they're tough and reliable. I would always recommend them for that.

New Mundano looks quite nice I think.

that mondeo looks great, ford have really upped there game to compete with ze germans in the last few year. With the recession aswell and most people lacking the money they would have spent on a car, they are giving a decent alternative.

My dad has the st mondeo the one before the one now .... if that makes sence. Drives well and has been a good car for him he got one of the last ones for under 18k brand new.

The new one does look better and although its not my 1st choise I can see it selling well, better that a poxhall

I think it looks pretty good to be honest, i do also like the look of the RCZ thingy too, however, I dont think I could ever buy one of either of them!!

I assume that all the bad comments about mondeo and ford come from people who never owned one.
You would be surprised how reliable and great to drive these cars are.
At 10 grand cheaper than any new A4 tdi they're better cost/reliability than any new audi ever will be.
After all the issues I've had with my VAGs during last year I would rather spend £15k on a mondeo titanium sport with 15k miles on it than
a basic A4 with 60k miles.

Last edited:
^^ They aren't bad cars mate, they just don't have the prestige feel to them like an Audi/BMW does, they do drive really well and for the price you can't whack them.

Titanium X is the top spec one which comes with all sorts of toys!

Yes it is and in fact it will probably be my next car, prestige or no prestige.
I do understand that audi interior is perfect, good quality materials, very nice to sit in but reliability is way of from what it was 10 years ago when I had a fully spec B5 2.8Q. And seriously not worth the money you have to pay for them now.
That's my opinion though and not everyone has to agree with it.
I might get a B5 or S3 for a track only because of quattro. There won't be any luxury in it left though.

Ford have come a long way in the last 15 years and should not be knocked as much as they are nowadays, I personally think that the mondeo name has outstayed its welcome and is dragging this car down, would i buy one of these cars brand new? Er No, Would i get one 2nd hand in 5 years time, maybe due to the fact that they have so much new tech in them and the £4k price tag they will have will speak volumes in the 2nd hand market, would i adore it? no.