1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mk1 TT and timing belt

Discussion in 'TT/TT-S/TT-RS Forum' started by zack1uk, Feb 24, 2011.

1. zack1uk

zack1uk New Member

The better half has just bought a 2003 mk1 TT 1.8T (225) with 30k miles on the clock. All MOT test certs and service history confirm mileage and general wear and tear (none) seem to back this up. However it doesn't appear to have ever had the timing belt changed.

I think its a 60k service part but considering the age of the car I was wondering if you reckon we should get it changed?

Cheers
  2. trev m

trev m Member

yes
    so many miles or
    5 years

I have a A3 2006 only done 34000 but its 5 years old going to amd Saturday
  3. ttrev

ttrev New Member

its 50000 or four years for the timing belt but mind and get the 2 tensioners changed as well as the water pump, they say to change the stat as well :)
  4. YT.

YT. Member

I would get the tenisoners and pump changes as tsated above. Make sure you get a pump with the metal impeller as the plastic ones are prone to breaking the fins off..
  5. rodhotter

rodhotter New Member

with the 1.8T being an interference fit, its important to keep belt maintenance up, a broken belt can cost up to $5000 us money because of head damage. as stated a full kit with tensioners rollers and pump is the way to go!!