1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Relaxitscool, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Relaxitscool

Relaxitscool Member

Hello all, I'm currently into day 3 of Audi ownership, my first, which is a A3 3.2Q Sport. It was a sad day to see my Alfa GT go but I fancied a change and the Audi hit the spot.

Unfortunately I already I have a wheel bearing issue!!! Having searched the forum I see its quite common though. On those lines, how much am I looking at for an indie to fit a new one?

I'm also missing some gadgets I thought would come as standard, as they were on previous car, such as cruise and a MFSW. Are these expensive / difficult to retro fit?

I've also been searching for an iPod adapter and have come across some quite cheap items on fleabay, any good? Am I right in thinking that I will only get track number displayed rather than track title on a Symphony II HU?

Finally, thank god I hear, having browsed the VAG Parts Ltd web site I see you can buy a tyre pressure monitor that appears to be nothing more than a switch. Is there any further wiring required or can I really have this for £10 or so pound.

Anyway, that’s it for now, thanks for any replies in advance.

Rob

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Relaxitscool

Relaxitscool Member

Sorry about the large font, not sure how that happened..

4. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

Check this out for the full spiel on what you need for the Tyre Pressure Monitor.

Looks like you'll need a plug and some repair wires too, along with some VAG-COM trickery.

5. PNH80

PNH80 Low life livin' the high life.

It is a massive pain in the arse that you have to spec EVERYTHING you want on an Audi. If you're buying a used one it very difficult to find the exact spec you want. I'm currently looing into retro fitting electric folding door mirrors amongst other things.

So other than the bearing issue and the fact Audi are tight b*****ds with options.... How are you liking the car so far?

Paul.

6. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

At least when you have to add everything you want it means you are not paying for stuff you don't want when ordering new. So it works both ways really.

7. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

As for wheel bearings - I've no idea how much an indie will charge but with myself having so many replacements, if it was my money (and the car was outside of warranty) i'd avoid the Audi dealer like the plague and get a good indi to look at it

8. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

so... how much one should expect in terms of wheel bearing lifespan?

9. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore
    Team Vegas Yellow quattro Audi A3

Hello and welcome.

10. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

The only plus side is that at least you can decide what to have and not have to pay for things you don't want. The standard spec for the A3 in Germany does not include half the things that are standard in the UK. Even air-con is an option.

The one big advantage for buying new is you can have exactly what you want, providing it's offered.

But as you say it can be very difficult to find just the spec you want when buying second had, especially at the moment if you are not keen on black!

11. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have access to the Audi electronic parts catalogue and workshop manual, so if you think I can help at any time just sent me a PM (Private Message) and I will certainly help if I can.

12. Relaxitscool

Relaxitscool Member

Thanks for all the responses. Liking the car an a lot, especially the 4 wheel drive. I miss the intimacy of the Alfa cabin but the quality of the Audi as a whole is in a different league and I'm loving it.

And how quick! Not much to complain about there!

Thanks for the post for the tyre pressure monitor, it looks fairly in depth but I'll think I'll have a go in a month or two. I can see the first thing I'll be looking at is iPod, armrest, MFSW or follow me home lights.

Regards

Rob

13. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

I've done 65k miles and had 13 wheel bearings - 5k per wheel bearing

when you put it like that, its unbelievably shocking isnt it!!

14. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

blimey bacardi... it seems i am 2 bearings short.... for me after the 5th I would think someone was taking the piss.....

Pedro

15. Relaxitscool

Relaxitscool Member

Blimey that is a lot. I hope thats not common of Audi ownership..

Rob

16. sleep envy

sleep envy Member

do you park on kerbs or have lots of pot holes and speed humps on your journeys?

17. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

naah, not more than normal on these british roads!

I do corner quite hard, but I would expect the car to be more than capable of coping with this

18. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

It's certainly not in my experience. I have owned 10 Audis, 6 of which have been A3s with over 400,000 miles in total and have never had a wheel bearing changed.

19. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

Yeah, its the first car I've ever owned (apart from a Mini) where I've had to replace a wheel bearing

seems a fair few other peeps on here are replacing them too