New MAF not 100%? Likely? what would you do?

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Right folks, I have a dilema!

For those who can't be bothered to read my build thread, a quick summary:

> Car was mapped for 22psi, it went like a rocket

> developed a boost problem, boost fell to 16psi

> Traced to the MAF by testing with Plunkys MAF last night

> plunkys maf fitted, it was back to 22psi, and flying again

> Bought new MAF today, genuine bosch from GSF, same part number, and it's boosting 18-19psi on the new maf

So, it's half way between plunkys known to be good MAF, and my known to be duff maf.

Is it possible that the brand new, genuine Bosch MAF isn't 100% healthy out of the box?

If I take it back to GSF and explain this do you think they'll swap it for another?

Anyone had this issue?

Answers on a postcard!

Frustrated Prawn (missing boost)

Don't they go wrong with excessive vibration? If so could it have been shook around too much in transit?

I have had a faulty one from GSF before... I know them quite well and were happy to change it but not sure if thats normal for them tbh...

Last one I bought was from GSF and was fine... as said above could have been damaged in transit...

<tuffty/>

I bought a brand new Bosch maf from Eurocarparts.. It was faulty took it back they exchanged it straight away, but said if the first one was found to be be ok upon testing back at Bosch then I would have to pay for both.... Needless to say I never got charged for the first one. Which leads me to believe this is quite a common problem but they are just covering there own asses.... I think they have to change and give you the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise.... In my opinion

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I will definitely take it back tomorrow then!

The difference when I fitted Liams MAF was incredible, it instantly went from 16psi to 22-23, and felt SO quick.

With this GSF maf in today, it felt a little better, but nothing to write home about. Feeling very let down by it :(

How did you guys explain that they were faulty? Will they listen if I simply say I've tested it against a known working maf and it's not boosting as well? or do I need t say it makes it run badly?

I just told them it was coming up as a fault on Vagcom.... Which was not possible because it was brand new.. I don't think it's Bosch,s policy to refuse you an exchange... And I think they tell all there dealers the same.... Unless proved otherwise under closer inspection back at factory.... Guaranteed they will exchange it but if on inspection if ok they will say you will have to pay for it... Ie take off hour card....

Hi mate. I've read about loads of people getting a second (and third!) MAF because they're not perfect out of the box. Nothing wrong with giving it a go. We all know how flakey they are!

LOL ohhhh ****** here we go again!

Prawn - I bought 3 MAF's within a 4 month period from GSF because my Liquid Gauge after a month was showing low figures. I kept going back to return a MAF, i had to fill out a warranty claim form, they send it back to Bosch in Germany, you get a refund after 3-4 weeks. After the 3rd crappy MAF i go back to get the refund for my 2nd one, i say to there's him no point giving me a refund because this one is dead so i need to buy another one and do the warranty claim thing again. He says he can't sell me another one because i've gone through so many and they think there's something wrong with my car instead! So you could say i'm banned from buying MAF's from GSF so i'll be using ECP next.

PS. i told them i knew it was faulty by looking at my diagnostics screen in the car and it dropped from 209 g/s to 199 g/s after a month.

Not ****** impressed with GSF!

Just called them up to confirm I can get a replacement, and they’ve said I have to purchase another MAF for another £90, then wait for them to send this one back to Bosch in Germany to confirm it’s faulty! ARGH!!!!

I can’t afford another £90 before payday, and I can’t afford for Bosch to come back and say it’s not faulty, which I assume they will say because it DOES work, just not as well as it should!

I can only imagine that there are hundreds of faulty MAF’s sold new, because lets face it, 90% of people won’t have a boost guage or anything to indicate it’s not working 100%.

My car does drive better with the new MAF, but it’s mid way between the dead one and Plunkys known to be working one.

Really ****** off now! Going to go in there later and give them some grief, see if they’ll come round.

Being an me7 based car, there are loads of yours around Westle, and the dealers still do the MAF's for around £80 exchange.

The AGU being older and ME3.8 uses a slightly different MAF. the stealers (very appropriate in this case) no longer off these as exchange, and will only sell you one outright for £231!

**** that.

the thing that I don't get though, is that the GSF MAF is genuine Bosch, same plastic moulding, identical part numbers.

it is however remanufactured, as it says on the sticker ' Bosch - remanufactured in germany'

So I guess although genuine, it's not technically brand new.

I said I'd just get a full refund on it too, and go elsewhere, and they said I'd still have to wait 2-3 weeks for Bosch to test it before they'd even give me a full refund

Well usually they're spot on and really friendly, but this bloke seemed to go on the defensive the minute I suggested that the new MAF could be faulty. Then when I said it's not uncommon for new MAF's to be faulty, he seemed really annoyed!

So i'll go in there later, try and speak to the usual bloke I deal with, and see if he's a bit more helpful.

Either way, I'm not impressed. I'm £90 out of pocket, and my car doesn't work as it should. This isn't my problem, it's theirs, so i don't expect to wait 2 weeks for anything. Be it a refund, or a new MAF, and I'm not about to lay out the same money again only to risk them keeping all of it!

Should have gone to eurocarparts :( Plunkys came from there and it's perfect

Well usually they're spot on and really friendly, but this bloke seemed to go on the defensive the minute I suggested that the new MAF could be faulty. Then when I said it's not uncommon for new MAF's to be faulty, he seemed really annoyed!

So i'll go in there later, try and speak to the usual bloke I deal with, and see if he's a bit more helpful.

Either way, I'm not impressed. I'm £90 out of pocket, and my car doesn't work as it should. This isn't my problem, it's theirs, so i don't expect to wait 2 weeks for anything. Be it a refund, or a new MAF, and I'm not about to lay out the same money again only to risk them keeping all of it!

Should have gone to eurocarparts :( Plunkys came from there and it's perfect

We live and learn mate. Just make sure you tell them that you're not impressed with their service and you'll be using ECP in future.

OK, so now I'm REALLY getting annoyed.....

Bloke at the counter in GSF was a legend, seems like I spoke to the boss earlier. The guy I spoke to earlier understood it was common, and swapped it for a new one for me no questions asked.

Yay. Great news.

Or so I thought.....

SECOND new GSF MAF in, and it's almost the same! ARGH! initially getting 16-17psi, which seemed to rise to maybe a 20psi spike and 18 hold after 10 mins driving around.

Nothing like the Night and day instant change I got when I fitted Liams MAF, so this one isn't 100% either!

It seems like the remanufactured MAFs from GSF are somehow 90% functional. The car drives perfectly, and feels fine, it's just down on boost.

Going to meet up with Liam over the weekend and test with his maf again, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but I'm confident it wasn't, the difference was incredible with his. These GSF ones just don't cut it.

Pretty gutted right now. I just want my power back!

Hopefully it will be fine with mine again over the weekend :) then it will be a trip down to ECP :D