New MAF needed ( vr6 upgrade ) ?

Grale1

Reaction score
Hi guys

i need a new MAF as I had the car scanned a few times and it keeps coming back with intermittent MAF can't remember the code, but it keeps coming back after being cleared and now over the last 2-3 months the car hasn't been pulling as hard and it is going through petrol quicker now, any how I wanted to know if I fitted a vr6 MAF straight on would I have any problem? Would my map need tweaking? I'm planing on going stage 2 soon so this was one of the parts I was looking at getting.

Thanks simon

Last edited:
Gsf and other car part places do a trade in discount on the later bosch mafs, so depends if you have an agu or aum, and id say a vr6 maf would need mapping in to get the best out of it, or for it to do the job at all. Hope that helps.

I have AGU matey, ill have to call r-tech tomorrow to find out whether I'd need the map tweaked for it

I've found a a MAF with the part number 0280 217 512 from a ford galaxy engine code AAA. Is the right one that I would need to go for? I'm planning on going hybrid to try and achieve 250hp this year, so if I bought this now would I need to have my map tweaked?

Not sure about the part number, but either way it would need mapping in because the scaleing would be out on the maf reading. You could fit it but leave it unplugged untill you go hybrid, but its a 2 second job so could be swapped on the day, you wont see any gains untill its mapped in.

It will only be the Vr6 housing that you need, you would just swap the filament over, it seems like you need a new one if your getting errors on the current maf. Plus the vr6 housing is 80mm and the standard one is 70mm therefore you will need a metal coupler and a 80-70mm reducer.

Ok cool, so just get a vr6 MAF housing and get a new a3 filament and put in the vr6 housing? I thought I needed the filament from an engine code AAA

That's the first i have heard about it. im sure someone will confirm

when people talk of upgrading the mafs they only refer to the maf housing size, thats where the benefits are. well, i say benefits, it just means the car can read wtf is going on. standard size maf housings have a limit. i dont know what that limit is on an agu maf housing though sorry.
jay didnt r-tech say you needed a larger maf housing for your stage 2 map?

Ok cheers karl, ill get hold of a vr6 MAF housing then and a new sensor for the MAF that is already on my car

when people talk of upgrading the mafs they only refer to the maf housing size, thats where the benefits are. well, i say benefits, it just means the car can read wtf is going on. standard size maf housings have a limit. i dont know what that limit is on an agu maf housing though sorry.
jay didnt r-tech say you needed a larger maf housing for your stage 2 map?

They did say if i want to get more gains then go for a bigger maf with injectors. Im guessing its because they would get maxed out