1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New key..dud..? Please advise!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by moesplace, Mar 11, 2008.

1. moesplace

moesplace New Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    so I finally got myself a new key off Ebay, looked for ages to find one with exactly the same codes/numbers/letters etc as on the inside of my original key, paid £26 (second hand with new uncut blade)

So I got the blade cut, £8 and went along to my dealer. They messed with it for 1/2 hr then told me that the transponder chip wouldn't match my car and they could not do it..?

They went on to say that to supply and fit the transponder part (top 1/2 of key, I think?) would be £93 including coding it in..?

Now are they talking ******** because I didn't buy the key off them in the first place?

Should my key work as all the codes are the same?

Please help if you can, don't know what to do?

Thanks in advance, Andy
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

[Mar 11, 2008]
    I fell for the same ebay thing. The transponder can only ever be matched to 1 car. You'll be able to program the buttons to lock and unlock the doors etc, but the transponder will never work. I've finally given in and bought the top half from audi.
  4. quattrov6tdi

quattrov6tdi Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    if you really wont fix it yourselve you can buy the transponders in Maplin
    and fit it inside the key .there is a small bit of room ,where the key flicks open

regards:blackrs4:
  5. moesplace

moesplace New Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    What, buy a chip to match my original?
  6. shaggy

shaggy New Member

[Mar 30, 2008]
    so, it looks like the best option is to go for the whole kaboodle from Audi themselves, who will charge £150-£200 for a complete working key.
  7. arthurfuxake

[Mar 30, 2008]
    Well no, keep the button section you bought off ebay, and attach it to the new imobiliser section from ebay. The button section will cost you another £80 from audi, so you're still quids in compared to a whole key from audi.
  8. shaggy

shaggy New Member

[Mar 31, 2008]
    so, let me get this straight. Steps for DIY your own key fob rather than getting ripped off by dealers:

1. buy key off ebay. will any uncut audi key do ? Inside of my original key says 'HAA' - cost £20 - £30
    2. get the blade cut off a locksmith - cost around £10.
    3. buy the transponder from Audi and get them to code the whole key to start ignition/open doors? - cost £80.

Total cost approx £120.

Is this right or have i missed a step?

TIA
  9. gaz j

gaz j Member

[Mar 31, 2008]
    Did Audi still charge you £55 for labour even thou they never sorted it? They did with me, I was gutted!! I wish I'd just gone and bought one off the robbing b'stards in the first place. :scared2:
  10. arthurfuxake

[Mar 31, 2008]
    You get a nice shiny key that is pre-cut and says HAA when you buy the transponder from audi, so you'll save the £10 for a locksmith.
    When you order the transponder, you have to show your V5 and photo id. They use the chassis number of your car to cut the key.
    I wasn't charged by audi when they couldn't code my ebay key to the car.
  11. shaggy

shaggy New Member

[Apr 1, 2008]
    cheers for that. I think I'll take the risk and get a key from ebay. I also know someone who has the audi diagnostic toolkit, so i'm hoping that we can use that to code the transponder ?
  12. Cravenbantam

Cravenbantam Member

[Apr 1, 2008]

I work as an electrician at a VW dealer and what wind's me up so much is people slagging off the dealer, because so many people buy key's off eBay thinking they're brand new, when there not.

Programming a key has been made harder (dealer only) due to the advanced security systems fitted to the car's these day's, how would you like any tom **** or harry wanting to code your key's up, this would result in more car's been stolen.
    How many car's these day's get stolen with out the key's................................ not many!

Like someone else has mentioned, if you buy a key off eBay, you will only be able to programme the remote to the Convience system, the immobilser will not be matched due to it being programmed to another car.

I wish i had £5 for every time some has come in saying "can you code me my key in" and find out the customer has bought it off eBay!!
    Then slate me for not being able to code it up!!
    We alway's ask the customer first where the key has been purchased from, this way we aren't wasting everybodies time.

Rant over!!
  13. arthurfuxake

[Apr 1, 2008]
    Well siad craven even though it has been said before, but shaggy obviously doesn't want to listen to the advice, so leave him to it, he'll spend his cash on ebay and then have to go to the dealer anyway.
  14. bubstar

bubstar Member

[Apr 1, 2008]

X2

Pay peanuts etc etc............
  15. inigoj

inigoj Member

[Apr 1, 2008]
    If you have an older car with a 'fixed' code type transponder (immo 1 or 2) you can simply get one of your existing transponder capsule/chips cloned and add it to the new key.
    The car will then see all the 'new' keys as the same key.

Or use vagcom and your 4/7 digit SKC.

If you have a later immo 3 or 4 'crypto' transponder type (approx 00-01 onwards depending on make) you need the dealer.

It can be done without the dealer but you need a tool to access the car, a new transponder chip, your SKC, SKC pin date, workshop code, dealer code etc etc.

If you are simply replacing a damaged key, just swap over the transponder chip from the key part of the remote.