1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW JBS K04 OEM Upgrade Cast Manifold

Discussion in 'JBS Auto Designs' started by JBS Developments, May 5, 2009.

1. JBS Developments

JBS Developments New Member

JBS K04 Cast Manifold

Over the last 6 months JBS Developments has been busy working on a new cast K03 manifold, and now that the new K03 is heading into the final stages of production we have moved onto the K04 turbo application.

From what JBS has learnt from the development of the K03, the design process for the new K04 OEM performance upgrade manifold became a lot simpler.

Casting the new manifold gives better quality mass production and for such a constraint bound design as the K04 manifold casting gives fewer constraints on the pipe bend radiuses, allowing the runner to flow freely. The most obvious improvement over the standard cast manifold being the increase in bore (diameter) of the runners all the way into the collector.
    [​IMG]
    Like the new K03 design, the manifold has been designed in CAD to optimise the design, flow capabilities and to enable easier fitment. The CAD process allows the designers at JBS to manipulate the part quickly, while allowing information and measurements to be taken easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JBS K04 SPEC

The main work has taken place increasing the diameter of the runners all the way to the collector and the design of the collector to achieve best flow. The manifold has been designed to have maximum material around the bolt holes to prevent cracking, found on the OEM and competitors manifolds. The collectors design also separates the runners to reduce port sharing of combusted gasses, aiming them towards the turbine in the turbo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The box collector features cooling fins to minimise the effects of EGT’s on the manifold, preventing the manifold from warping and thermal fatigue.

[​IMG]

Fitment of the manifold was also a large consideration, the area around the head studs and nuts was maximised to enable fitment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cylinder head flange uses the same design as the K03 to allow greater thermal expansion and movement between the runners. As it was found that a too restrictive flange forced stresses back through the runners of the manifold which lead to crack propagation.

Once we were happy with our design it was sent off for rapid prototyping to give us a physical model to evaluate before any design finalisation can take place. The rapid prototype is a highly accurate model taken straight from the CAD data.

The RP (Rapid Prototyping) gives a huge advantage in being able to fit the part to an engine and turbo, to test and ensure that the product achieves its specification. We are also able to physically flow test our design and compare it to our CFD (computational fluid dynamics) data before being sent for casting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recently there has been a lot of talk about performance manifolds cracking due to poor design, weak materials and the stress the manifolds are under due to high exhaust gas temperatures. JBS JBS Developments are confident in the design of the new manifolds due to the hours spent on CFD (computational fluid dynamics) analysis and prototyping.

So to ensure the manifolds don’t suffer from poor material choice and casting quality, JBS has chosen to cast its manifolds in a very high quality foundry which is used by many OEM turbo suppliers and OEM vehicle manufacturers such as BMW and GMC to ensure the castings are of the highest quality.

Also to reflect the high quality casting; JBS has spent a great deal of time researching the latest high temperature resistant cast irons. These cast irons have a high nickel content, having the following properties makes them ideal for our performance manifolds: resistance to corrosion, resistance to oxidisation and high temperatures (up to 1050 oC), resistance to wear and erosion.

This is to ensure a minimal amount of thermal expansion and an equal rate of thermal expansion to the turbo housing, this again minimises the potential for thermal fatigue (cracking). The bolts for the fitment of the turbo to the manifold shall be supplied as they are a specific size and material to prevent stretching which leads to blowing gaskets.

JBS Developments are now waiting for the pre-production sample to be delivered for a quality check and initial testing.

Once the first batch of manifolds are produced, they shall be thoroughly tested and dyno’d. At which time all power and flow figures will be released. Once all testing is completed and we are happy with the results we aim to release the manifolds at £470 including bolts and VAT.

We also have an IHI stage one/ Garrett GT28 cast manifold going into production and the K03 will be released soon. As well as having our new range of tubular equal length manifolds for IHI, T2, T3 and Twin Scroll on sale now.

JBS Developments
  2. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

I like the sound of this, theres so much i want but where to start lol.
    Whats the ruff arival date these will be on sale then?
  3. JBS Developments

We are expecting to start production of the JBS K04 manifold soon after the K03, if not at the same time, so as a rough estimate we are looking to have them on sale in 4-5 months.

JBS Developments
  4. Dani_B19

Will you be developing a downpipe for the ko4 to compliment the new manifold?
  5. JBS Developments

Hi Dani,

At the moment we are concentrating on the Cast manifolds.

We do have plans to expand our tubular manifolds and downpipe range.

We will most likely be offering a K04 downpipe and sports cat oem replacement at some point in the future.

Regards

JBS Developments
  6. S3 GEORGE

S3 GEORGE GEORGE

How long away are we from this being made? this is what my life is missing
  7. JBS Developments

We are hopefully looking at 8-12 weeks depending on how quickly the new cast K03 is manufactured.

We are currently at the stage of confirming the order, and full production takes up to 6 weeks.

Regards

JBS Developments
  8. Dani_B19

Really! Cant wait, think ill be one of the first down for one :yahoo:
  9. Dani_B19

In fact, need a test dummy :)
  10. S3 GEORGE

S3 GEORGE GEORGE

im in the process of fitting a turbo dynamics hybrid to my s3 and a fmic
    can you map it for me?

Regards
  11. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Yes we can do that! :) give us a call on 01246 455005

Mike
  12. Gareth_RS3

Gareth_RS3 Member

Mike what kind of gains are you expecting from the manifold, my car spec is as per my sig (plus a fmic from next week) My car is currently running revo software if this manifold was fitted would the best results be from a a custom live map?

Thanks gareth
  13. S3-GAZ

S3-GAZ New Member

Hi JBS people. When is your new website going to be finished? It seems to be taking ages, i want to look for new bits to buy. :)
  14. JBS Developments

Hi Gareth,

As far as gains are concerned its not all about BHP figures, plus it's hard to estimate as it's all down to the individual car and its tuning.

From our initial flow testing we have seen significant improvement in flow over the OEM manifold. We will release all the test data once we have received the first production sample and have the dyno figures once we receive the first batch of manifolds.

To get the best out of the manifold and the other modifications you have made we do recommend remapping once the manifold is fitted. We can offer this through Custom-Code Phase 2.

Regards

JBS Developments
  15. JBS Developments

The sits is going live on the 27th this month (June), we are launching the site at GTi International, and offering a discount to anyone who attends the show.

JBS Developments
  16. jm-baker

jm-baker Member

Hey JBS,

How is the manifold coming along? do you have a better idea of the availability date for the K04 replacement yet?

Cheers

James
  17. Barks

Barks Member

Any update on the S3 K04 manifold? I would be interesting to see the real world results with a hybrid turbo for a reliable daily drive without having to go to a BT
  18. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long overdue reply.

The K04 manifold is on its way, all be it slower then we expected.

A delay in casting of the K03 and a quality issue with the first K04 production sample have set us back.

We are expecting our to recieve our 2nd production sample by the end of this month. We will post the first pictures of it as soon as we have checked it.

We expect to have the K04 on sale by late January/Febuary next year.

Once we have the sample and it has been signed off, we will fit it to our test car and get some real world figures posted up for you.

We will keep you posted on any progress.

Please also keep an eye on our news section of our website.

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/

Regards

JBS Developments
  19. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Hi All,

Here are the first pictures of our production sample.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We hope to have these on sale by early February.

JBS Developments
  20. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

The pictures show the best view of the whole manifold and show a slightly distorted view of some of the runners due to the angle the manifold has been cut through.

The runners have been designed to control the flow into the collector. The cross sectional area of all the runners is constant all the way up to the collector to direct the flow out "in" to the turbo, rather than "at" the turbo.

When designing the manifolds we not only had to look at the individual flow of runners, but also the space around the manifold and how it fits into the engine bay. If you look at a standard manifold attached to a turbo you will see the lack of space, meaning the options for increasing the cross sectional area of the runners are few, whilst also trying to keep access for fitting.

We will fit this sample manifold to our test car and hopefully have some real world performance figures for you soon.

JBS Developments
  21. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Hi Guys,

Right, due to the massive drop in temperatures and the 5" of snow outside we will have to delay the second run of the K04 manifold on the rolling road.

To make it a fair comparison we need the ambient air temps not to be any more then +/- 5 deg C.

At the moment our rolling road bay is about 1 deg C. :confused:

So hopefully at the beginning of the new year we will have some nicer weather and get the graphs posted up for you.

As it is the TT is driving really nicely and you can feel a difference even with just the change of manifold.

We will get the rolling road graphs up as soon as possible, so please be patient.

JBS Developments
  22. bansheeboyo

bansheeboyo Member

i see these wont be on sale till feb,is there any way i could get 1 now:think:
  23. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Hi bansheepboyo,

We're sorry to say we only have the 1 production prototype which has been fitted to our Audi TT for testing.

We will keep you updated on the progress of production and let you know when they are on sale.

Regards

JBS Sales
  24. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

any new news yet???? been waiting for this manifold for ages
  25. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Hi s3_kev,

We are currently testing the production prototype and hope to have some figures up for you soon.

Once the testing is completed we will start production.

We will keep you informed on any progress.

JBS Developments
  26. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Hi All,

We are very sorry for the delay in supplying performance information for the JBS K04 Manifold.

We have finally managed to dyno the TT with the JBS manifold on.
    The TT was dyno’d running a FMIC with no other modifications other than swapping the standard manifold for the High flow JBS k04 cast manifold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are very happy with the results, the graph shows the JBS manifold vs the standard manifold. As you can see from the graph we have achieved between 10-12Bhp increase in power and a 5% increase in torque across the rev range. With a very noticeable difference past 2.8k across the revs, this is due to the JBS design and concentration of eradicating port sharing and flow disturbance.

The manifold is showing excellent potential for running the JBS 05 turbo and with additional modifications like Forge TIP, Green Cotton Filter and sports exhaust, downpipe and sports CATs we think the bigger gains will be achievable.

We have also run the TT and manifold with a Phase 1 map.

[​IMG]

We will get some peak figures up soon. We will also be testing the TT with the full stage 2 kit which includes the JBS 05 turbo.

After our initial testing of the standard K04 manifold we found that the manifold had cracked, with the fault lines propagating deep into the manifold, it had also split the gasket in 2 spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the pictures these cracks are on the narrowest runner, that ports 2 and 3 share and they are due to the extremely high exhaust gas temperatures caused by the narrowing of the runners. The collector has also cracked due to the flows direction into the collector. The design and material choice of the JBS K04 manifold should help avoid these issues.

Regards

JBS Developments
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  27. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

I'd be interested in getting some prices together for a kit comprising of this manifold and the JBS 05 K04 Hybrid.....
  28. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

looks good when can i buy one :)
  29. bansheeboyo

bansheeboyo Member

so when you guys putting order forms up on your website??????????
    how much longer nust we wait??????????
    im going insane here,ive had everything for a good 6 months waiting for this manifold,im running about with a measily 180 bhp the now ,i want/neeeeed more power ,please hurry before i do somthing silly ,i know where ure place is :p :gun2::ninja:
  30. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

mate i have been waiting near on 2 years :crying:
  31. bansheeboyo

bansheeboyo Member

2 years holly **** ,jbs give us some answers....,give us a date ,and not a hopefully date a actual in our shop date ,are you actually making them ,or is it all a big joke ???
  32. bansheeboyo

bansheeboyo Member

is this manifold gona be like grand turismo 5 and never actually be released??
    am i going to have to go big turbo??
    i have 10 freinds all wanting your manifold,please give us a date,you's said feb not so long ago,this is near the end of feb!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying:
  33. JBS Sales

JBS Sales Member

Hi Bansheeboyo,

We understand your frustration at the delays, we have been struggling with our casters over quality and production time.

This is only the 2nd manifold we have cast so it is still a new process for us.

The manifolds are in production, but we dont want to be throwing sales dates out there as we already know we have gone past the original dates given.

We will keep you update on all progress.

Good news is that our production sample has given good figures and is undergoing more testing.

Regards

JBS Sales
  34. Welly

Oh, that's good. Tease us by telling us that it has given good figures....

Thats like telling me how good a REAL cornish pasty is and then slashing my tires so I can't go and have one. lol
  35. bansheeboyo

bansheeboyo Member

well lads any news on it yet,i have calmed down now and would like to appologise for my behaviour
  36. Welly

LOL. Love it. :icon_thumright:
  37. dc240969

dc240969 Member

Any news on this item, and price?
  38. bansheeboyo

bansheeboyo Member

YEAH WHATS THE WORD ?
    GOT ANY DYNO GRAPHS WITH YOUR JBS05?????
  39. putang

putang Member

Can i jump on this wagon. Where are the manifolds jbs :)
  40. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

I am also in need of one of these manifolds :thumbsup: