1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Island - A34, Shirley

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by jojo, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 24, 2007]
    I'd like to know which prick designed this stupid island?! A total wasted of our time and our money!... sure it looks nice, but what purpose was it for?
    Clearly marked on the floor for 2 lanes of traffic to go round, it's impossible for 2 cars to drive round side by side all the way round, unless they we're both Nissan Micra's or smaller, add a van, truck or bus into the equation, and anyone lucky enough to be alongside would have to brake for their lifes or kerb their alloys to avoid... which in turn causes the traffic congestion again... very clever chaps. :applaus:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. IH786

IH786 Member

[Jul 24, 2007]
    Its never really bothered me too much, but then again i drive a Toyota Yaris (until the S3 arrives :) ), but yeah i do understand what you are saying.

The large island by the Audi dealers is pretty good. Its really wide, so you can go around it really fast! Would be more fun in a RWD car though.......
  4. jojo

[Jul 24, 2007]
    The larger island is a masterpiece of course, it gives me access to the Audi stealership going both ways, unlike the dual carriageway bit for the Honda dealership, and I happen to work just off Cranmore boulevard, which comes off the island also :)

And yes, there's plenty of room for some practice drifting in your Skylines and RX7's!
  5. IH786

IH786 Member

[Jul 24, 2007]
    I work on cranmore bvld too :yes: Just across the road from the Post Office, nect to David Lloyd gym. Where abouts do you work?

Had a power cut this afternoon, someone cut thru power cables when digging the road :laugh: Only lasted a couple of hours sadly, still had to stay at work.
  6. jojo

[Jul 24, 2007]
    Sending you a PM.
  7. Les 51

Les 51 A pint of Diesel please!

[Jul 24, 2007]
    Never heard of it, but it sounds as bad as sitting on the A14 so I feel for you .
  8. jojo

[Jul 24, 2007]
    I don't think it's that bad lol, just that we had roadworks for something stupid like 10 weeks, which meant I had to detour an extra couple of miles to work each way for the whole period, and there was little or no benefit for the drivers after all that... a pointless island with no real benefit.
  9. jojo

[Jul 27, 2007]
    Well.. it's happened, there was 2 cars mounted in the middle of the island when I drove past 10 minutes ago, which would explain the more than usual congestion I was experiencing. Vauxhall Corsa vs Nissan QX, the Corsa took some heavy damage, and the Nissan, I think, was stopped by one of the poles in the island(the ones that hold the arrow plate) on the otherside, so guess he was going at quite a fast pace.