New HU instal... would I have any problems?

bouncer--daz

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!
Reaction score
Right I know this will be against most peoples personal factory look taste buds:no: but due too my limited budget its a good option for me. Im currently looking at installing this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=247453&categoryId=31445 into my 1999 audi A3 and for £199.99 its a bargin.:) I am currently running a sony amp and sub thats piggy backed off the standard audi amp. Im happy with this for now and I want too leave it that way. Going to take the cd changer out until I resell the car and just plug my ipod into the back of this new head unit.
Heres my questions

1/ Can anyone see me having any issues with installing this HU?
2/ Will I be able to buy a simple plug and play wiring loom for this head unit or will I have to cut one and wire it myself?
3/ Has anyone personally had one of these HU's themselves? Ive heard that when working they are perfect but they can be tempermental.

Would be very greatful for any feed back.:icon_thumright:

I fitted one of these to my mates bmw about 6 months ago and hes not had any problems with it. It should plug in fine with an iso connector.

the one we had didnt have an iso connector so i wired it to a bmw iso connector and connected to the bmw wiring.

there are a couple of downsides to this unit tho, I think its underpowered, the sound is clear but not really that loud, if your using an amp for your speakers then it will be fine.

one more thing is that the front of the unit sticks out quite far from the dash so it doesnt sit as nicely flush as other head units.

if you need more info about it let me know

Well the rear speakers are currently running off the standard audi amp and the the silly little sub... plus I have a 1000w JBL sub and amp (i said sony earlier... my mistake) running along side that but if Im honest the gain on the amp is only turned up half way due too the fact I dont like my ears bleeding when I finish work in the club at 4am. I did notice that it isnt very flush too the dash... I think its something I will have too except. At the price I cant complain really.:happy:

So it will just be a case of buying an ISO connector... and pluggin that too the head unit or the standard audi wiring loom.... which end will I need too cut?:think:

The one i fitted jus had the wiring loom out the back of it so there was no connector like the usual iso ones. so if you get the correct loom for the audi and plug that in to the cars connector and wire the other end to the head unit wires.
that way you dont cut ur cars wiring and easier to return to standard.

The power ISO will be a straight plug in (if that HU has an ISO), you'll have to switch over the permanent live and the switched ignition live as Audi wire them back to front.
You really need to disconnect the tupperware sub and then just rewire the speakers directly to the HU. Otherwise you'll need an Audi wiring adapter and the rears will be underpowered still running off the Audi amp. You can pick up the rear speaker connections from the red sub connector to avoid taking the rear panels out. Then just run 2 new speaker cables back to the HU and use a male/female ISO harness to provide a single speaker ISO connection with both front & rears on it to the new HU. The Audi speaker harness is only wired for the fronts.
You'll also need the powered aerial antenna adapter, and obviously fascia adapters to blank off the gaps either side of the DIN sized HU.

Alot more work that I first thought then... starting too have 2nd thoughts:3sadwalk: