New Head Unit fitted Audiosources AS-8603

Bazzle

Reaction score
Purchased directly from here with PayPal
http://www.audiosources.net/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=50004&Id=167&FId=t3:50004:3

Fitted it on the weekend to my 2011 S3 Sportback.
3 days DHL Hong Kong to Melbourne Oz..
I have a Bose amp but it worked OK. They supply an extra loom to plug connectors to :)
Very happy.
Good sound
Good Navi (Ive loaded Primo and Sygic)
Easy to fit and adjust the settings.
Colour just a little lighter than the Symphony 2 it replaced. Dont see the diff after 2 days.

Reactions: nil538, doctor46goat, neiller and 2 others
Looks really interesting. Looking at the features it looks like its better than the stock audi nav/radio system!

How much was it?

Interested in the TT version, as the missus mk2 TT has the normal Concert bose stereo.

I guess if you just want features and sound quality, the cheap chinese units arent a bad deal. Wonder how long they will last? Not to say that the Audi headunits are much better in sound quality, the RNSE is extremely poor!

Those units don't look too out of place in the Audi and for the price, you really need to be a big fan of OEM to go with RNSE.

I know what my next head unit will be when it's released :)

Reactions: Arkious and bentwenty
This is what mine cost :)

usd$260 for headunit plus dhl delivery usd$55

Baz
Cheers for that! I was thinking about getting RNSE, but this looks cracking! I think I will order this!

Sat Nav works great. Radio is good, sound field is good, SD card is good.
Loaded a copy of igo Primo I had from here..http://fixmygps.info/forum/index.php
(Had to adjust the volume down in igo, as it was overloading unit)
Couple of minor issues I'm working on.
1..Fit.. The bottom is out a little bit. Tried to adjust the spring tangs but it made no diff. Noticed other brands with reviews on forums were the same as well. They must of all copied the same fitment sample ;)
2..Slight ignition noise . When volume turned down to mute there is a small amount of stray noise. I need to remove and check its not an earth loop or aerial ground issue. Haven't done that yet, next weekend hopefully as its a ****** to remove same as the Audi one was :(

Purchased directly from here with PayPal
http://www.audiosources.net/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=50004&Id=167&FId=t3:50004:3

Fitted it on the weekend to my 2011 S3 Sportback.
3 days DHL Hong Kong to Melbourne Oz..
I have a Bose amp but it worked OK. They supply an extra loom to plug connectors to :)
Very happy.
Good sound
Good Navi (Ive loaded Primo and Sygic)
Easy to fit and adjust the settings.
Colour just a little lighter than the Symphony 2 it replaced. Dont see the diff after 2 days.

Hi. I have just put the exact same head unit in my A3. The reason ur head unit is sticking out is because the chinese didnt place a small section of PC board correctly. Also the lower 2 metal clips. Bend them inwards rendering them out of use. Ur unit will fit better towards the edges.

I removed the 2 side spring plates and put a piece of soft rubber on the bottom slides.
Fits well now.
Factory code to enter hidden settings under "about" in menu is 3711
Need to then press save and turn off ignition until interior light goes out. Approx 2 minutes for settings to be saved.
Radio will need a reset, everything else keeps the settings.

I bought one of these as well from Ice Box. For the price it's a bargain however the radio only picked up the stronger stations, tried various aerial amps but couldn't improve it. Main problem was the reverse camera would not switch on when selecting reverse gear. Must say, the Ice Box guys were very helpful in trying to resolve my problems but to no avail, so was refunded with no quibbles and that was 4 months after I first bought it.
I then bought a Dynavin HU and after 30mins of fitting it worked perfectly. Radio reception is better than the Concert and the reverse camera works as it should. It is more expensive at £425 but you do get what you pay for.

I bought one of these as well from Ice Box. For the price it's a bargain however the radio only picked up the stronger stations, tried various aerial amps but couldn't improve it. Main problem was the reverse camera would not switch on when selecting reverse gear. Must say, the Ice Box guys were very helpful in trying to resolve my problems but to no avail, so was refunded with no quibbles and that was 4 months after I first bought it.
I then bought a Dynavin HU and after 30mins of fitting it worked perfectly. Radio reception is better than the Concert and the reverse camera works as it should. It is more expensive at £425 but you do get what you pay for.
Where can you buy this unit and is it plug and play ? mine has the concert fitted currently .

Made a bit of a mistake on the price, must have been £525. Nevertheless they are a bit cheaper than that at the mo. and he's taking offers. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynavin-N...978398?hash=item41835ff5de:g:1UQAAOSw91NTtUyO This seller is the Dynavin importer for the UK so no problems, if you do need help he's on the end of a phone for you call.

Fitting involves extracting the Concert and plugging up the harness, no wiring to cut and terminate. You will have to remove the glovebox, just 7 or eight screws to run cables and into the glove box for ipod or USB device, a cable for the Satellite receiver which you stick on the underside of the dash and a microphone cable for your phone, I run mine behind the A post trim, across the headlining and stuck on the front dome light. Took me 30mins but I had plenty of practice faffing around with the Icebox version, you'll do it in about 2 hours.
The reverse camera can be bought elsewhere if you want one. This took about 4 hours to fit so quite a job to do.

Last edited:
How do you find the Dynavin soot ? I have the older dynavin unit in my S3 and it's awful. The bluetooth doesn't always connect i can't change tracks on the head unit or steering wheel when streaming music over bluetooth, the UI is clunky and after de-selecting reverse it never goes back to the input source i'd selected before putting it into reverse.

On the plus side it looks better than pretty much all other aftermarket options and the call quality of the blue is excellent. I am wondering if they have improved things on the newer units.

I had an older Dynavin in my S4, already fitted when I bought the car. Had odd problems with loading the phonebook, actually it wouldn't do it at all. Volume control on the steering wheel worked sometimes and sometimes not, may have been the cars fault though.
The new version in my A3 works perfectly with one exception, the steering wheel 'Talk' button doesn't do anything. Not bothered as you can answer calls on the HU answer button. 'DIS' shows whether you are CD, Radio, iPod,USB modes. Ipod works very well as the wifey uses that a lot and if she can use it must be very good and easy. Sat Nav is still supplied from 'igo' , not the best of high def. displays but does the job.

Now I have the user manual I can see it is possible to update the firmware direct from Dynavin website, a plus in the future. Supposed to getting internet on the Head Unit in the near future.

Great that you too had the old one for comparison soot. Do you connect your phone to stream music ? How is that on the newer HU. Also Does it remember your phone and connect automatically every time you enter the car?

Whats the interface like ? Scrolling through menus etc.

Don't stream music from a phone and I have no idea how to do that, plenty of other sources for music, too many ways in fact and I find music quality is best from CD's.
Not many menus to scroll through, the usual phone, radio, Nav, CD etc accessed on the SRC button and direct buttons as you can see on the website. It is touch screen and I manage it ok, even with clumsy fingers that have not known such technology for the first 60 years of my life :smile new:. My 7 year old grandson picked it up within minutes, probably take me 7 years from now to master it. Nav is a bit confusing at first, too many features available but after you use it a few times it becomes easy.
It does recognise my phone each time I get in the car however my personal phone is a Nokia 3110, don't laugh! Have an iPhone as well for work but rarely use that in the car but it does connect OK and shows the phone directory. The Bluetooth is by Parrot so sound quality top notch on the phone.

Reactions: Shane-Ireland
I have the exact same unit as op and I find it decent.

Couple of issues though:
  • Color isn't as same as the rest of the plastic trims (HU is a bit lighter)
  • Screen scratches easily
  • Aerial reception is, after one year of use - ZERO. I cannot use radio at all, no signal whatsoever. It was weak to start with when I first bought it also
  • Fitting - doesn't fit perfectly, I will have to modify the rear springs it seems
  • GPS signal is weird - I usually don't have GPS signal for an hour then I have it for an hour and in circle we go
Edit: I just noticed that this is WinCE, mine is Android and has 1GB of RAM.