New Front Rubber Needed

A3Kent

Reaction score
I'm a little bit clueless when it comes to tyres and what to get.

At the moment i've got Pirelli PZero Rosso 225/40 R18 92Y XL TL all round and have tended to just get like for like when I need too.

Looking at Camskill i've been looking at the fuel effieciency rating, wet grip and noise rating and notice that mine aren't that great when it comes to fuel efficiency or noise rating so I thought i'd look and see what else there is.

So I came across the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 225/40 R18 92W XL FP TL as it was about £7 cheaper per tyre than the Pirelli, and the ratings on all 3 areas are much better than the Pirelli. My only concern is that the Speed Rating is W, as apposed to Y. Is this a problem? Is this tyre any good?

Thanks

I'm a little bit clueless when it comes to tyres and what to get.

At the moment i've got Pirelli PZero Rosso 225/40 R18 92Y XL TL all round and have tended to just get like for like when I need too.

Looking at Camskill i've been looking at the fuel effieciency rating, wet grip and noise rating and notice that mine aren't that great when it comes to fuel efficiency or noise rating so I thought i'd look and see what else there is.

So I came across the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 225/40 R18 92W XL FP TL as it was about £7 cheaper per tyre than the Pirelli, and the ratings on all 3 areas are much better than the Pirelli. My only concern is that the Speed Rating is W, as apposed to Y. Is this a problem? Is this tyre any good?

Thanks

I can't speak exactly for the "Performance" variant but I have the EfficientGrip on mine all round - this tyre is Goodyear's low rolling resistance tyre, it also has softer sidewalls. Its aim is to be long wearing, high fuel efficiency and quieter tyre. PZero Rosso is obviously a more performance tyre.

They seem to grip quite well in all conditions, but I don't drive the car hard, but dry grip and handling will probably feel softer than say the Rosso, or the Goodyear F1.

Reactions: A3Kent
Appreciate this, thanks. How long have you been running the EfficientGrip and what's your wear level like in that time?

Anyone got any further thoughts on the EfficientGrips?

Will having a W speed rated tyre matter when i'm currently running Y's?

Anyone got any further thoughts on the EfficientGrips?

Will having a W speed rated tyre matter when i'm currently running Y's?

Yes, my thoughts are buy these for 65p each more per corner! (no brainer)

Goodyear Tyres / Car / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - 225/40 R18 92Y XL FP TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18

I found the Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Nero both shocking tyres after the first mm or 2 had worn down. The F1s Assy 2s will be more than up to the job and as you can see they are XL and 92Y rated

#closethread

Reactions: wuta3 and A3Kent
I would agree the F1 Assy 1 & 2 are brilliant tyres wet or dry, I have them on my BMW; wear rate is great for a top end tyre, quiet and comfortable too.

On the A3 I bought it with 2 Efficient Grips fitted, so got another pair to match as I always run matching tyres. I also figured that I wanted to try and reduce the A3s sometimes unusual high tyre noise so went with these. The wear seems pretty good but it's not as good as the wear rating figure on the sidewall suggests (think its 340), where an F1 might be 220 or something (guessing here). You wouldn't get 50% longer life from the EfficientGrip for example. But the EfficientGrips do seem a good tyre for what they are, but it's definintely more comfort orientated.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the speed rating - a W rating is fine for the A3 (it is 168mph!).

For their performance the F1 Assy are a bargain. I prefer them over much more expensive competitiors from Michelin, Continentl, Pirelli etc.

Reactions: A3Kent
Yes, my thoughts are buy these for 65p each more per corner! (no brainer)

Goodyear Tyres / Car / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - 225/40 R18 92Y XL FP TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18

I found the Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Nero both shocking tyres after the first mm or 2 had worn down. The F1s Assy 2s will be more than up to the job and as you can see they are XL and 92Y rated

#closethread

That's the kind of decisive post i've been looking for. 2 x Eagle F1's it is! Thanks:icon_thumright:

I would agree the F1 Assy 1 & 2 are brilliant tyres wet or dry, I have them on my BMW; wear rate is great for a top end tyre, quiet and comfortable too.

On the A3 I bought it with 2 Efficient Grips fitted, so got another pair to match as I always run matching tyres. I also figured that I wanted to try and reduce the A3s sometimes unusual high tyre noise so went with these. The wear seems pretty good but it's not as good as the wear rating figure on the sidewall suggests (think its 340), where an F1 might be 220 or something (guessing here). You wouldn't get 50% longer life from the EfficientGrip for example. But the EfficientGrips do seem a good tyre for what they are, but it's definintely more comfort orientated.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the speed rating - a W rating is fine for the A3 (it is 168mph!).

For their performance the F1 Assy are a bargain. I prefer them over much more expensive competitiors from Michelin, Continentl, Pirelli etc.

Thanks c_w, with you backing up Kwistof's post it's going to be the F1's. Thanks :icon_thumright:

These tyre ratings are crap.

Eagle F1A2s are very good, can't go wrong.

Good spot N8, that'll save me another 8 or so quid. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: N8
Right, a pair of Goodyear F1's have been ordered from lovetyres.com

What should I expect to pay to get them fitted to the car? (balancing and tyre recycling) £10 per corner?

Yep, called a fair few tyre fitters and £15 was the going rate, until I tried ATS and they will do it for £12 per corner :)