New Filter

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
How're you supposed to clean that thing anyway??

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it off and wash it... its stainless steel, so as long as you you get all the crap out of it, it doenst matter how u clean it.

U can get special cleaning solution from demon tweaks for stainless filters, so i might get some.. onyl like £5 for a bottle.

Rich

dont have a pic (or a digi cam need to get one) so i scribbled a little diagram, the red is the pipe from my spoiler the box, hope u understand now guys

[ QUOTE ]
XXX 1.8T said:
...but it seems rather expensive to me vs the Oettinger CAI

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It does probably work out more expensive.. but when u compare it to the jabba sport one, it is alot cheaper and more effective too... Another thing is that i personally enjoy p1ssing about and doing stuff like this, so the cost of it didnt really bother me too much.

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Costa, what have u used as a cold air feed? what type of pipe/tubing?

Rich

Definately food for thought this post, as I have the cone filter of the oily variety, (Was on the car when I bought it) and therefore dont have an airbox.
After reading about the faults with MAF's. I am going to change it, although I must admit I have not had any trouble with it. I like this idea about putting the filter inside the box.
I priced an airbox up direct from Audi (with trade discount) it was £96 inc the paper filter and the fixing bolts (£7.00 for a couple of bolts robbing feckers). I never thought of trying vagparts for the airbox, thought it may have been a dealer part only. Is it a direct replica of the original?, as I'd like it to look standard even though there may be some trickery going on inside, with the filter. Although I'm going to colour code it as I've already done the water bottle cover and the engine covers. I just dont want it looking like a cheesy cheap aftermarket air box if you know what I mean.

[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:
Definately food for thought this post, as I have the cone filter of the oily variety, (Was on the car when I bought it) and therefore dont have an airbox.
After reading about the faults with MAF's. I am going to change it, although I must admit I have not had any trouble with it. I like this idea about putting the filter inside the box.
I priced an airbox up direct from Audi (with trade discount) it was £96 inc the paper filter and the fixing bolts (£7.00 for a couple of bolts robbing feckers). I never thought of trying vagparts for the airbox, thought it may have been a dealer part only. Is it a direct replica of the original?, as I'd like it to look standard even though there may be some trickery going on inside, with the filter. Although I'm going to colour code it as I've already done the water bottle cover and the engine covers. I just dont want it looking like a cheesy cheap aftermarket air box if you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, its not aftermarket... its original Audi, straight to your door from Germany. Its £47 and includes a paper filter.
So the quality is audi quality.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Costa, what have u used as a cold air feed? what type of pipe/tubing?

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

its a special piping i got from Oettinger, just ask around ur hardware or racing store for some heat resistant piping or piping with a heat shield

As you put at the beginning of this post another option in stainless steel filtration was Blitz, who can provide a filter which is only 90mm long and 113mm at the top flaring too 150mm and a neck of 124mm. That's the Blitz C4 version which should in theory from what Rich has said fit nicely inside the filter box....but they are a bit more expensive. The other problem is that the neck is has an OD of 124 so the ID would also be kinda large, so would need an adaptor of some sort, as the adaptors for it are more expensive than the filter by the looks of it!

Might pick one up while I'm across in Japan on business as it's probably cheaper, but I'll check with some friends of mine.

well that's food for thought anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, its not aftermarket... its original Audi, straight to your door from Germany. Its £47 and includes a paper filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was doing well getting it at trade prices from Audi, guess not eh.
Its a bargain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
Thanks to this post I've just officially saved £49. I can put that towards the new filter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thank you very muchus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Costa,

Get yourself a digi cam and get snapping!! I for one want to see the air ducting that Oettinger did for you and some more photo's of your car with it's lovely Projectzwo kit on.....

That's it I'm off home now, I think nine o'clock is quite late enough to be working until!

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
As you put at the beginning of this post another option in stainless steel filtration was Blitz, who can provide a filter which is only 90mm long and 113mm at the top flaring too 150mm and a neck of 124mm. That's the Blitz C4 version which should in theory from what Rich has said fit nicely inside the filter box....but they are a bit more expensive. The other problem is that the neck is has an OD of 124 so the ID would also be kinda large, so would need an adaptor of some sort, as the adaptors for it are more expensive than the filter by the looks of it!

Might pick one up while I'm across in Japan on business as it's probably cheaper, but I'll check with some friends of mine.

well that's food for thought anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The price is why i didnt go for that one... I thought £120 was a bit steep for something that might not work.

The filter diameter of the QSR filter, is perfect... exactly the riht size... couldnt fit anything bigger inside the box, but its just the extra 20mm or so. When i get it all finished, i will tkae alot more detailed picures inside and out, so that people can see EXACTLY what i have done. What would be ideal, is if there was a way of angling the pipe inside that the filter attached to, just 20o or so, just so it could sit inside the box completely.

But nevermind... learn from mistakes!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was doing well getting it at trade prices from Audi, guess not eh.
Its a bargain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
Thanks to this post I've just officially saved £49. I can put that towards the new filter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thank you very muchus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem at all! Its good stuff like this, cos it means the peple who try it out after, dont make the mistakes that the first person makes... in theory anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif just got mine in the post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
cant wait to get it fitted !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hahaha.. its like christmas... only its easter! going to spend friday sealing my airbox in... will probably take me ages to do... but i've go all day!

Your filter will sounds pretty sweet completely open..

THere is only a small piece of mine sticking out, and its has a well nice growl to it...

Post some pics when your done!

Rich

Hey R88per, if you could produce them, 2 a week say, you may be onto a little earner. And undercutting Jabba at the same time. Worth thinking about.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
matt said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif just got mine in the post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
cant wait to get it fitted !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, any news about the fitment of your induction kit? Any noticeable performance gains or losses?

AL

havent had chance to fit it yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif
have been to busy sortin housey out !!
looks good in my garage though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Water is crap for cleaning residue from things so that's probably where the oil or petrol comes into it....just a thought.

Still in Japan, but will be back in full posting
Prostitution next week.

And another, I'm well chuffed with the result it looks just as good if not better than the jabba sport one and I saved myself over £200.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thats sweet m8... How close is it to the bonnet? Just wondering how much Hot air its sucking in. Has it made a difference to performance? When i did mine, it definately made a noticeable difference... Sounds sweet too!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
[Mass produce the filter enclosure that is, don't want to know about his child production skills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif]

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Al,
I probably could make a few of these, just didnt think that people would be that interested. If anyone is seriously interested then let me know.
Paul

lo R88per

Very impressed with your jabba style induction kit, is your offer still there to knock a couple up because i certainly would like one if the offer is still there.

Andy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif