1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Filter

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by RichA3Turbo, Apr 8, 2003.

1. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 8, 2003]
    Heres a pic on my new filter... Stainless Gauze.
    I bought a new airbox a few months back, and the plan is to fit the filter inside the airbox so it acts as a heatshield. Im mounting the filter on the trumpet stly pip that is inside the airbox.

Will post some finished pics tonight when i've done it.

The upside to this is that if its too noisy, then when i get sick of it, i can just swap it back to the original in a couple of minutes...

Rich
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    and another
  4. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    and the last one...

excuse the quality.. was taken with my webcam at work... so was trying not to be seen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
  5. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    What make is it ?? quickshift racing ??
    looks good
  6. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    Yeah... Thought about getting the Blitz filter from Jabba, but £120 is a bit too much for an 'experiment'
    The Quikshift one looks pretty good quality considering it only cost £56 all inc. Will see how it goes tonight... should only take me about 20minutes to fit it.

Rich
  7. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    where did you get it from ??
    i may invest in one !
  8. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    www.motorsportworld.co.uk

Took a week and a day to get here... but postage was free so i didnt complain.

Reckon they are excellent quality for the £££

Will let u know what its like.

My plan is to be able to swap over filters as and when so that dependsing on what i want, i can just change back to standard/cone.

Rich
  9. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  10. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  11. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    what size is the neck ?? 70 or 75 mm ???
  12. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    62mm... Im using the trumpet shape intake pipe that in the lid of the airbox to mount it on.

Rich
  13. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    oh and its the sizeA filter... the smallest one. Cos its the only one which will fit. Its pretty big, so the others must be F'ing huge!

Rich
  14. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    nice one thanks, im gonna order one when i get home - im gonna get rid of the air box and come straight off the intake pipe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif, i think its 75mm neck ?? i'll measure it later...
    cheers
    matt
  15. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    Hmm... that probably not such a good idea... unless you intend to heat shield it... you will loose more power than th filter will add because of heat from the engine bay. That why im doing it in the standard airbox. And going to look at getting a intake from the front of the car somewhere... I personally dont wantit too loud either so the airbox will sort that problem a bit.

Rich
  16. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    yeah im gonna make a heat shield at work, we have a lazer cutter so it will be like the jabba sport one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif with any luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'll post some piccys when its done.
    cheers

matt
  17. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    Yeah, would be good to see it. Will post some pics later hopefully.

Want to go home and play now! have to sit here and make it look like im doing something for the next 55 minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich
  18. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    Nice on Rich. Can't wait to see the pics.

Matt, if you get one of these, you must take me out in your car. I'd love to hear what one sounds like.

AL
  19. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    Well, here is the (SEMI)finished product... from the outside anyway... The edges are a bit rough in the pics, cos its bloody freezing outside... so i will finish cleaning it uo on the weekend. The filter was actually 1cm longer than it should have been /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif which meant i had to cut the side out of the airbox a bit. So im going to get some materials and re-seal the box so its a true CAI. I took it for a drive tho andi was surprised how loud it wasnt!! You can barely hear it which is so unlike cone filters. I had a green cotton powerflow twin cone filter on my old car and it was deafeningly loud, but this one is barely audible... except for the DV, which is much louder than it was befroe... mainly cos it was silent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif,. but it still is not loud.

Now the performance side of things...

Well after having a induction kit on my previous car.. i was not expecting anything noticeable in the performance part of things, but i was pleasently surprised! The car seems alot more perky now, and it is not just my imagination that is it slightly quicker. The lower rev range has remained pretty much the same, but it now pulls all the way to the limiter where as before, it pulled to 6k, then dropped off, so all in all, i am quite happy with my purchase. The total price was £56 for the filter, and £40 for the airbox from VAG Parts. So i reckon £96 is pretty good for the +effects, and the car has not lost its refinement.

Would be interesting to see if it has any effect on my 1/4 time.

Rich
  20. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
  21. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
  22. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 8, 2003]
    When i've cleaned it all up and happy with the end product, i will tka e ffew more pics... more detailed ones for people to see if they are interested. But i reckon it gets around most of the disadvantages of oiled filter/ open induction/ paper filter/long intake tract/90 bends issues. Cos the intake is shorte than it was before, it isnt noisy, it isnt sucking hot air, it wont butt f*ck the MAF, there are no bends or anything to ruin the airflow. i reckon its a win/win ituation.

rich
  23. Drill

Drill Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Would you be able to angle the filter on the "trumpet" seating in order for it to fit fully within the airbox? Or would that bit of bend defeat the purpose?

Great idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

24. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Afraid not... unless you can find a piece of tube that is anlged and the same diameter to fitin the trumpet in the first place. What i did was to cut the end off so there was only about an inch of tube to which i then attached the filter to. I was a bi p1ssed off that the filter was a little bit too big. THe manufacturer obviously gave the measurements of JUST the filter and not the connecting rubber bit aswell. I've got a sheet of aluminium at home, so im going to construct a side box for the lid of the airbox to seal it from the engine bay, then fill the edges, smooth it and paint it same color as car.

Impressed how well it works tho!

The little sound there is, sounds well sweet. It has a really nic subtle growl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Rich
  25. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    orderd mine last night ! i went for the middle size one 150 dia i think?? might be a bit big looking at yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
  26. Drill

Drill Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Refresh my memory, isn't the "Trumpet" intake long enough that you could cut IT at an angle, therefore affixing the filter "Straight-on" within the box? I'm trying to get a visual here, so bear with me. It's a good idea, and I'd give it serious consideration, I would just prefer it if it could fit within the std box, is all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

27. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Take a look at my lovely hand work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

If u look at the diagram 'A' it shows the airbox and the trumpet inside (1*)

Now, if u look at 'B', even if you cut the tube at say 45o, then the pipe is still straight, but has an angled cut on it, so theres no way of actually attaching the filter to it.

I would hav prefered to have not cut the airbox aswell, but i thought f*ck it, ive come this far...

If i only had one airbox, i wouldn't have one it... but seeing as i had a spare that i got from www.vagparts.com, i didnt have much to loose.

I reckon its worth doing... People will argue that its probably not worth it, but i think it is.

Rich
  28. Drill

Drill Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    D'uh, should've thought of that, but wasn't getting the "visual" Gotcha now. Is the rubber ring flexible at all? Hmmm, there's gotta be an easy way to make that work. How much was the Airbox? You said 50 something complete, right?

Thx, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  29. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    It was £47.96 delivered to the UK... seeing you are in germany, i reckon it will be cheaper as it doenst have to go out of the country.

The only other way i can think of is to gently heat the pipe and bend it to the right angle u need to fit it inside..., but im not 100% sure it would work, cos u need to cut quite a bit of it off to put the filter on.

The rubber on the filter neck is pretty rigid stuff... there enough play in it to tighten the jubilee clip, but not much else.

Another possibility is to cut out the outtkae of the box where the MAF part attaches too, and attach the filter directly to the MAF tube bit if this makes sense? but the problem then comes of how to make it so it isnt rattling about in the box.

Rich
  30. Drill

Drill Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Hmm, I'm gonna have to think on this one a bit. Like I said, I like the idea, so if I think of anything, I'll let you know. Right now I'm wondering how hard it would be to cut the whole Trumpet thing off, and angle THAT a bit better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't know, I think I'll be taking a look at my airbox at lunch if I have time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

31. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Well the trumpet bit only snaps in place by a little clip so it comes off completely... really easy!

If QSR had told me the exact dimension, not just the filter dimensions, then it would have fit perfectly. But the extra 15mm-20mm on the neck just made it too big for the box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Should look good when im done tho (hopefully)

Rich
  32. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    matt said:
    orderd mine last night ! i went for the middle size one 150 dia i think?? might be a bit big looking at yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will be bloody huge m8... but if your not putting it in the box, then there wont be a problem. My filter was deceptivel large...Will be interesting to see if your is much louder being out of the box. I think the induction note is how it should have sounded in the first place... but depends if you like that kind of thing or not.

Rich.
  33. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    the guy said id have it in 4 - 6 days, once fitted ill post sum pics and maybe a short review /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    cant wait, im really impacient (sp?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  34. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    matt said:
    the guy said id have it in 4 - 6 days, once fitted ill post sum pics and maybe a short review /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    cant wait, im really impacient (sp?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!! i hate waiting for stuff to be delivered... i reckon it should all be same day delivery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dont exoect to get it til next thursday... then you wont be disappointed

Rich
  35. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Oettinger did my cold air intake which was a Kingdragon Panel Filter that fitted in the standard box, but then instead of using the standard piping thats connected to the holes on the side Oettinger took that piping out and replaced it with a special heat resistant tube that connected to the left front airdam of my spoiler. This feeds cold air from outside straight into the airbox.

Results - DV is louder and engine is a little more audible and more free reving all in all only cost 25 Euros.

The only thing that I dont like about ur intake Rich is that the filter is exposed out of the box which would still be suseptable to hot temps of the engine

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif
  36. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    haha... read the rest of it mate...

its only like that til i reseal the box and smooth it all in. It will be completely sealed when im finished.

Rich
  37. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said: The filter was actually 1cm longer than it should have been /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif which meant i had to cut the side out of the airbox a bit. So im going to get some materials and re-seal the box so its a true CAI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich
  38. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    thats good mate

what are u going to use to reseal the box?

Have to commend u for being so brave to do this but it seems rather expensive to me vs the Oettinger CAI

39. Drill

Drill Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    Hey Costa, how 'bout a pic so we can see what you're talking about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

40. RichA3Turbo

[Apr 9, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    XXX 1.8T said:
    thats good mate

what are u going to use to reseal the box?

Have to commend u for being so brave to do this but it seems rather expensive to me vs the Oettinger CAI

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to construct a box out of aluminium that i can attach to the side to cover the hole, and then smooth it in to the box, then paint the whole thing silver (same as car). Thats the plan anyway... I'm also thinking of using fibre glass.

A cone filter has a bigger surface area than the panel filter, so in theiorty suck more air in, and also cos its stainless, it wont f*ck the MAF like a oiled cotton gauze will. Also, it sounds really nice!

Rich
  41. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

[Apr 9, 2003]
    aarrrrr i cant wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif