1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DIS readout on 2012 S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Brodster, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor

Having had an assortment of Audi A3's including 2 S3's I was driving this morning and scrolled thro the DIS functions and came across one that I've never seen before and certainly wasnt showing before.

Air conditioner economy showing in 1/4 gallon units on a sliding scale. This has just popped up since the other day as it certainly wasnt showing then. Any ideas why it should just appear with out being selected. Bizarre.!!!!
  2. RYes3

RYes3 Member

Hey Mark,

This only shows in the display where it tells you the miles to go, current mpg and average mpg (current trip). You have to scroll through this menu to find it. It's easy to lose it sometimes :)
  3. Brodster

When I first bought the S3 I played around with it for a while.... as you do, and scrolled thro everything on the DIS readout and that air conditioner scale was not visible. Im not bothered that its there. I just wanted to know why its just appeared over the last 2 days without anything different being done.......thought there might of been some weird black magic mumbo jumbo going on.
  4. Veneeringman

Veneeringman Bazinga

Hi there i've had this on 2 cars 1st a 2011 A3 diesel and now on my new S3 it also gives out fuel saving(i ask you on a S3 ?) messages like close windows when air con is on and shows you how much air con is effecting fuel consumption.
  5. loudchris53

loudchris53 Member

It is the efficiency program which is meant to help improve your fuel economy, all new a3's have it

Chris
  6. Brodster

Well it never showed it before but does now.... so you learn something new every day.
  7. loudchris53

loudchris53 Member

Haha, i want it on my car as it has a readout which shows your average and current economy together, i am always scrolling between the two

Chris
  8. RYes3

RYes3 Member

I was going to start a thread soon to see if you can turn this off, really pi$$es me off to be honest. I bought an S3, fuel economy doesn't bother me :D I use Fuelly.com to track my mpg more for a laugh than anything else :)
  9. The Governor

The Governor Member

The efficiency gidance thing is crazy, there's a thread on it somewhere... I saw a new one "Engine Braking, do not release clutch over 1300 rpm" this was when I was coasting in neutral down a sloping drive at about 10 mph.

Not sure how coasting in neutral uses fuel but ....
  10. Zak0123

Zak0123 Active Member

Apparently coasting in neutral uses 'slightly' more fuel than if you had the car in gear as fuel is being used to keep the engine moving. Whereas in gear you are using the kinetic energy from the wheels through the gear box to keep the engine moving. p.s. don't shoot the messenger :cool: :undwech:
  11. RYes3

RYes3 Member

Mine has told me not to warm the engine while stationary!! I only sent a text and as I started to drive off it told me off!
  12. Zak0123

Zak0123 Active Member

Same! No engine breaking above 1300 like The Governor said and windows closed when over 40 please! :asskicking:
  13. The Governor

The Governor Member

:D That's got be a pretty marginal efficiency, although if you were in gear going downhill at say 10 mph then the gearbox would be holding the engine back so what you'd gain in kinetic ebergy you'd lose in gearbox resistance?

I don't put a lot of store in these efficiency guides, quite often mine tells me to be in completely the wrong gear for the conditions, driving speed or load etc...
  14. Brodster

Crazy world...............my one beeps at me when I hit 155mph...............you gotta love speed limiters......lol
    Geoff_UK likes this.
  15. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

i'd like to see eco aircon, only engaged when coasting or braking in gear
  16. RYes3

RYes3 Member

Haha, have you really?
  17. bigman75

bigman75 Member

I've just checked this on my A3.

The efficiency program is accessed by pressing the reset button to flick through Current Trip (1) and Average Trip (2).

You're looking for the fuel nozzle icon. Then just use the rocker switch as usual and it will flick through the Efficiency program options. One of them is the combined current and average plus approximate miles left in the tank.

I've had this car since last October, just found it! Goes to show I read the manual eh :whistle2: I'm gonna test this idling thing and driving at 40 with the aircon on and windows open just for the futility of it! lol

Enjoy it Chris!

Cheers
  18. audigex

audigex Active Member

There was a game on the forum a while ago to see how many of them you could get it to flash up, I can't find it now though - probably buried in a fuel economy thread.

It's a bit of a pointless screen. It shows up to 1/4 of a gallon per hour, which works out as £1.56 per hour at current money if you manage to get the guage full. As far as I can tell I can't get the heating/aircon and heated seats together to use more than 1/3 of that guage, or 50p an hour. If I'm hot enough in the car to need the aircon on full blast, I'm quite happy to pay 50p an hour for the privilege, and that's an absolute maximum as far as I can work out.

It doesn't tell us anything you don't already know - aircon and heated seats etc use more fuel. Turn them off to get an extra couple of mpg, or leave them on to spend a little more money but be more comfortable.
  19. RYes3

RYes3 Member

Just out if interest, how do heated seats affect fuel economy?
  20. OCD-A3

OCD-A3 Member

Anything electric will put a load on your alternator. Granted, it's not as large a draw as air con. The seat heaters are probably one of the larger electrical loads in a car, as they're basically resistors that dissipate electricity as heat (terribly inefficient.)
  21. jsosic

jsosic Member

On what cars are these available? Only 2011/2012 or 2009 too?
  22. mjr901

mjr901 S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

23. RYes3

RYes3 Member

This economy **** really pisses me off! If I want to have my window open over 60 I will!
  24. S.

S. Well-Known Member

:lmfao: