1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new concert 3 with bose

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jordychris, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jordychris

jordychris Member

picked up car today with new concert 3 and bose can anyone tell me how to get in to alter the bose settings also notice when you turn on radio it does not flash up that bose is fitted although speakers have it on
  2. h5djr

h5djr Active Member

As I've not got a Concert 3 or Bose I'm afraid I cannot help. But despite what one our fellow forum member says, you could try reading the manual !

Sorry meant more for bowfer than you ! (See Owner's Manual thread)

If I could help I can assure you I would.
  3. jordychris

jordychris Member

thanks i have looked in the manual it does not seem to give me any info on the bose the head unit displays gala in the menu
  4. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Active Member

The GALA is the speed-dependent volume control and represents the number of "stops" the volum is raised by at speed.

What other settings were you after?
  5. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

Hmm, certainly on the 2's BOSE never had GALA it had it's own version. They also displayed BOSE when you turned the stereo on.
  6. steeve

steeve Member

I would check that it has Bose, doesnt sound like it to me as they never had Gala...................
  7. A3simon

A3simon Member

I have the symphony 2 head unit with Bose that says Bose when you switch it on and it does have gala. I cant find anywhere that states how to adjust it though
  8. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Active Member

With Concert+BOSE, you get a GALA option in the menu which you can adjust. With Symphony+BOSE, GALA is present but you can't adjust it or turn it off.
  9. RobB

RobB Member

On the old Symphony and Concert units (IIs), GALA was the speed dependent volume control when you didn't have BOSE. You could adjust its sensitivity up or down. With Bose (i.e. mine with a Concert II unit), it had something slightly more sophisticated which you could not adjust - it was an automatic set up that changed the sound output dependent on background noise rather than just the speed of the car using a microphone in the panel on the roof above the centre console where the interior light is.

Not sure why your new unit has BOSE speaker covers, but no BOSE logo on start up, and GALA. Maybe it has all changed in the new III unit, but seems a bit odd. Is it all correct? I would suggest trying another one at a dealer to check.

In terms of getting into the BOSE settings, "BOSE" is simply the company who has provided the amp and speakers to provide an improved sound - on mine there are no specific BOSE settings, just the usual base and treble (you get mid-range on the Symphony too though).
  10. stan

stan Member

I had a radio with bose replaced under warrenty on my old a3 afterwards it didn't display bose when switched on,so took car back 2 mins later car back with bose on display, they forgot to do something.
    So it can be switched on/off some how.
  11. tibbs

tibbs Member

I've bose with concert II and there's no Gala, bose logo comes up on startup though
  12. timps

timps Shakersville

Vagcom can switch the Bose logo on & off on the concert II (no idea on concert III).

But according to a few guys that have run tests in the USA it does not alter any sound settings, that side is handled by an extra wire in the radio harness that grounds a specific pin at the back of the radio. This cuts the headunits own amp and & removes the Audi EQ settings to give a flat output, all the Bose EQ settings are then handled internally by the Bose amp and cannot be altered (Except your standard base, mid,treble).

So any Audi radio you put in a Bose equipped car should be put into Bose mode (sound wise) due to this extra wire however it will not display the logo unless coded by Vagcom or equivalent.

If your car has had a replacement radio at pdi (mine did) this could be the reason.

This was correct for the Concert II could be totally different on the Concert III.
  13. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

You should set that as your default answer David.

"please read the manual"

Ever so helpful.

My headunit (sorry,not a clue what it's called - single play CD ) flashes up 'Bose' on start up too.
    I'm pretty sure you can adjust the gala setting too,as I seem to remember I stumbled across it once.
    I stand to corrected on that though.

If you do a google search,there are several websites that claim you can get into a Bose 'graphic equaliser' mode,by pressing certain buttons on the head unit.
    From memory,they say the standard settings are 0 right across the board,with adjustment of +5 and -5 possible.
    Whether this works or not,I haven't a clue.
  14. C_Audiboy

C_Audiboy Vroom Vroom

Me too. The Gala with Symphony II and Bose cannot be adjusted. I've had 2 dealers try and they cannot change it either. I hate gala, its ****.
  15. mfspen

mfspen Member

16. timps

timps Shakersville

That’s for the Symphony I the equalisation settings don’t exist in the Symphony II / Concert II so probably not in the Concert III

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/symphony2.html

And after testing it was found that vagcom does not alter the equalisation the extra wire does that it just makes it say Bose on the radio.
  17. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Having had a fiddle with it,I can't see how I got gala to appear.
    I can get all sorts of other stuff,like TP volume and switch on volume etc.
    It must have been a loan car I got gala to appear on.
    Could have been an A4 loaner I had which,as well as bass and treble,had 'mid' adjustment too.
    My car doesn't have that.
  18. jordychris

jordychris Member

thanks for your replies
    have been playing around seems concert 3 with bose comes with gala displayed in the menu but with bose you need to turn it to auto, manual
    says this is audiopilot correct me if i am wrong.
    regarding bose displayed on start up i have rang dealer but still not returned my call 4 hrs later
    i ordered bose it has bose badges on front speakers and it is LOUD on half volume so just the display to sort hopefully
  19. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

'rang dealer but still not returned my call 4 hrs later '

Welcome to Audi ownership
  20. jruibarroso

jruibarroso New Member

if you want to remove "BOSE" function you only need to remove the wire connected to pin BO SE on CDC connector, reebot et voilá , nonBose Audio system ( 2 passive loudspeakers at front and 2 active at rear ):blackrs4:
  21. RobB

RobB Member

The Concert II had "Dynamic Noise Compensation" instead of GALA. Obviously from your quote the III gives you the choice. If Audiopilot is an option, then I presume that this is the new name for it - it is the same name as in my friend's BOSE equipped Mazda RX8
  22. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but do any of these new radios have a connection for a DAB box? I remember a thread a long while back that said someone had seen something in VAGcom that was like a dormant function in the Symphony 2, but never heard any more of it.
  23. jruibarroso

jruibarroso New Member

Audi Concert 3 don't have DAB connection, the new feature is AUX IN mode selection, for external audio input, like ipod