1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Company Car

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Models' started by amoffat, Jan 10, 2003.

1. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    I am considering changing jobs soon within my company and it would involve 20-30k miles per annum. This means I would not be able to use my S3 due to the mileage. The gf would get the S3, as I would hate to sell it, and I would get a company car.

The downside is that I have to use my companies car scheme and would only be able to go up to the £19-21k without paying too much. Already looked at the S3 and its silly £££.

The less the car costs, the more ££££ I save.

My main priority in ascending order is speed, handling, luxury. My shortlist is huge but these are the 'favourites'.

1. VW Golf R32 (no extras needed so that helps, but it does cost a bit... waiting for a quote)

2. Mini Cooper S (fully loaded - total cost just under £19k)

3. Ford Mondeo ST220 (Silver, Red Leather Recaro's - same as S3's)

4. Seat Leon Cupra R (bit too similar to the S3)

5. Honda Civic Type R

6. Focus RS (but that interior /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

7. VW Golf GTi PD150 (not sure about diesals)

I know the Ford is a Ford, but its sooo fast for the ££££ and it is only a company car.

What would you do?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. nicks3

nicks3 Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    R32 mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  4. Moresauce

Moresauce Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    Well here is my two pennies worth on your thoughts!

1) Golf R32 - good car, but Focus RS does it all cheaper, could be a long wait, it a cheap Audi

2)Mini Cooper S - great car, cool image, fun, different to an S3 so you won't feel like your just driving a wannabe car. MY CHOICE

3)Mondeo ST220 - very quick, rep mobile, ugly, just a rep mobile with a big engine

4)Seat Leon Cupra - as you say just a cheap and not as good S3, is quick though, high spec, good deals available

5)Honda Type R - a bit max power! quick, good car, very nickable

6)Focus RS - great car, still just a fast Ford, ugly, horibble interior, again you be thinking S3 everytime you where in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7)Golf PDi - great car, talk to JPR, the emmissions regulations for company cars won't kill you for tax, great spec, loads of options, look good MY SECOND CHOICE

Happy hunting, the other thing is to buy a A3 1.8T Sport Quattro with some extras and it could be a good buy or even a A3 Diesel.

5. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    I'm not interested in emissions doesn't bother me as its not used in our company car scheme as the lease would be in my name avoiding tax.

The 1.8TQ is more expensive than the R32!

Not interested in whether it can be stolen easily either, not my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I am on a similar wave length with the car choice though.
  6. nicks3

nicks3 Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    Moff, how does the co car scheme work to avoid tax?
  7. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    Cars are leased in employee's name, and a loan is paid into your wages each month...... goes a bit like that. You get a set figure each month for a car, you can upgrade or downgrade choice is the employee's. Employee also has to make a set contribution, and then contribute if he/she upgrades and then pay for extras, but the extra's are taken over the lease period and not payed for up front.
  8. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    Stretch to the S3... go on... you know you want to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I got one on the company, and it is loads cheaper than owning one. I would never be able to buy one, but can run it as a company car...

Just means I have to live in the boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  9. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    for what its worth Moff, if it was me I would get the Focus RS out of that list, with the Golf a close second...
  10. gtdog

gtdog Member

[Jan 11, 2003]
    The trouble with the Fords and Japs is that you would allways know, every time you saw an Audi whilst driving it that you chose second best.
    The Minis are a scream, classless, and dare I say it even fashonable.
    Tough call but I would agree with moresauce. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  11. Moresauce

Moresauce Member

[Jan 11, 2003]
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Go get than Mini Cooper S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  12. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jan 12, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stretch to the S3...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't want to end up having two! My gf would drive my S3, so I would still get to play at weekends etc.

Had a good look around a Mini this weekend, not too sure, bit too Noddy and I'm not sure if it is fast enough for me. ST220 is off cause I'm no rep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and Alfa 147GTA is now on. Still very confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  13. Moresauce

Moresauce Member

[Jan 12, 2003]
    That Alfa is very sexy I had a good look at one at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, lovely interior and damn good performance too. Not a bad choice
  14. gtdog

gtdog Member

[Jan 13, 2003]
    Just not built terribly well yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  15. Moresauce

Moresauce Member

[Jan 13, 2003]
    Regarding the Alfa did people see the article in the drivng section of Times/Telegraph? Basically it say what a good car this was but the owners had spent more time with it being fixed from bits dropping etc. than using it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

On the plus side they still loved the car and won't change it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  16. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jan 13, 2003]
    Wow this is hard work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have cut the list down a bit further, but added more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Now I am confused as to get a convertible or a hot hatch. For the money it is harder to find a decent convertible, I would still have the S3 at the weekends so maybe I should look at all this from a different angle.

Spoke to the Leasing company and they are able to get a hold of any of the cars that I am interested in. This is the final list:

1. R32
    2. Focus RS
    3. 147 GTA (white)
    4. Alfa Spider Lusso (Elec hood, met blue, beige momo lthr)

I did have a chance to sit in the R32 at the NEC, and although I did like it, it wasn't quite up to the S3's stds. The Alfa GTA has to be my favourite at the moment, on the Alfa website there is one in met. white, and it looks amazing. I know white is a weird colour and I have always hated it, but this looks good.

Bit worried about price at the mo though, have to wait and see. I should be sensible and go cheap, as I will be throwing ££££ away on a car that won't be mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I do get the option to buy at the end of the lease though.
  17. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jan 13, 2003]
    Also, the problem with my list is that, I won't be able to test drive the R32, RS or GTA as they all have waiting lists, and no dealer have or will have demo's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I think that is appalling, with all the dodgy reviews about the RS and torque steer etc, it could be a nightmare to drive, or really good fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  18. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jan 16, 2003]
    Been to see a Focus RS today. Couldn't get the keys, as it was a customers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif From the outside, it does look a beast, but I still can't get used to the MAX Power steering wheel and handbrake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif there bloody awful. I was on a new RS forum earlier and some are trying to change the steering wheel to the ST170's, cause its that bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Its a car that i nearly there, but not quite. Bit like most cars on the road (except Porsche etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

I tried to request a test drive and the salesman told me that he will call Ford UK to organise a car, but it would probably take 3-4 months! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
  19. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Jan 16, 2003]
    I would be a bit concerned..... a) I wouldn't buy a car without the test drive and don't want to have to wait but b) if they are that NOT interested in your business before you buy the car, what will they be like after you have bought it?

My dad just had similar problems when trying to buy a Focus. Okay so it's not the same sort of money, but the salesman at the Ford Dealer just could not be bothered with him at all. He ended up going to a different dealer, but Ford nearly lost the sale over it.
  20. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[Jan 17, 2003]
    DON'T GET THE SPIDER!!!

Unfortunately, I speak as an ex-Spider Lusso driver, and it breaks my heart to have to say it...

Much as I loved the car (the driving experience is bloody amazing) the car had too much scuttle shake (it's based on the Fiat Tipo chassis) and we had some problems. To name a few...

Air Con packed up - lots of times
    Hydraulics for the roof packed up - THIS WAS SERIOUS! - roof got stuck half up, half down

However, for the driving experience it was incredible, and the noise from the exhaust - WOW!

We had the car for about 4-5 months in the end, but the hydraulics for the roof was serious enough for us to part-ex it. Sad really, but there you go...

Hope that helps

Alex.