1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chrome Wing Mirrors Needed - Vandals - Help?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by IanL-S3, Jan 13, 2005.

1. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Hi

Just went down to my car this morning and both wing mirrors have been kicked off and taken! I push them back out the way normally.

Still in shock to be honest.

Looks like i'll have to give up driving my car and/or move.

I've got a £250 excess on my insurance.

Should i claim insurance?

Can anyone please help with sourcing chrome wing mirrors (both sides)?

Fitting - is it easy?

Sorry for this incoherent ramble. Feel sick.

My only thought to stop me going mad is that there are plenty of people eslewhere with far greater issues.

HELP PLEASE?

Only owned the car 2 weeks and my first decent car in 9 years.

2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Dude that seriously sucks! Speak to Jedi as he may sell you his ones hes just taken off his car. I can sell you the in.pro ones for a good price if you like but i doubt you would want imitations after you have had the real thing (although these would be far less painful if stolen!)

Cheers

Rich
  4. jediknight

jediknight Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    one of the reasons i dont want them on my car (apart from the fact they look pants)

sorry to hear of your missfortune though...

.. mine already have a new home though
  5. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Thanks Rich

There is another s3 on my street and a few cars twice my value. So i take it personally.
    In fact my old clio last week had its wing mirror kicked off at my dads!! He thought it was a 'racist' thing. But i'm not so quick to say such thing. But now.....
    Either way i'm gonna move. Was planning on getting a house with garage next year (car first! house second! doh!)
    Anyway i think i'll go back to driving the clio for a while.

Will PM Jedi and see what he wants for them.

How much are the in pro ones. And could you post a pic?

I would pm this..but again its useful info to all.

Thanks Rich

6. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Sorry to hear that dude! thats so bad.

I wouldn't claim off your insurance as you'll be paying them back for the next 3 yrs. You should get a set of eBay for around your excess money.
  7. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Doh! But thanks for letting me know jedi.

Will look into price of blacks and maybe switch them back to silver in the future.

I'm loathe to claim insurance as it would be my first claim ever! I want to claim insurance for my mistakes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  8. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Thanks Nervus..i'm not thinking straight at the mo.

Need a stiff drink, but need to drive to police station to report it. That wouldn't be good idea!

Cheers again guys. Having never owned a 'flash' motor, i never thought of this particular downside.
  9. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 13, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ian Logendra said:
    Thanks Rich

There is another s3 on my street and a few cars twice my value. So i take it personally.
    In fact my old clio last week had its wing mirror kicked off at my dads!! He thought it was a 'racist' thing. But i'm not so quick to say such thing. But now.....
    Either way i'm gonna move. Was planning on getting a house with garage next year (car first! house second! doh!)
    Anyway i think i'll go back to driving the clio for a while.

Will PM Jedi and see what he wants for them.

How much are the in pro ones. And could you post a pic?

I would pm this..but again its useful info to all.

Thanks Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go mate.

[​IMG]

They are £61.39+vat

Rich
  10. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Rich i've found them on your website

Jedi - would you please be kind enough to give me a ball park figure i should expect to pay for 2nd hand mirrors?

Cheers
    Ian
  11. jediknight

jediknight Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    well i did a straight swap to be honest, my alu ones for a set of blue colour coded ones. (i owed the guy a favor anyway)

I presume if they kicked them off then you need the whole wingmirror... not just the cover!?

did it not damage the door where it bolts on then?

you can get some alu mirrors of german ebay for about £200 but then you would need to buy new mirror glass so the bend was on the drivers side (germans will have it on the other side)

HTH
  12. jediknight

jediknight Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
  13. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Thanks for that link. Seems ideal. and not too far off my excess. Phew - was panicking initially at what i imagined the cost was gonna be!

yeh the more i think about it - seems like they may have been nicked to sell, rather than "mindless" vandalism. i.e both sides done, no broken mirror glass, and no other cars affected. I'll mention to police to that they may have been stolen
    And will put a watch on ebay.

Thanks guys - you've made this experience far less painful than it would have been on my own.

If you're ever up in Glasgow - beers on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not that you'd want me to be a designated driver in my clio!!
  14. C_Audiboy

C_Audiboy Vroom Vroom

[Jan 13, 2005]
    That's bad news mate. Coming from Glasgow also it makes me worry about mine.

I'll bet you wanna track them down and kick lumps outta them!

To be honest, I never thought of the alu mirrors as a target for theives.

Hope you manage to get a pair that does not leave too much of a dent in the wallet.
  15. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Sorry to hear about this Ian. Get some normal ones on there (or Rich's Inpro ones) for the time being and swap them when you move!

Rich.
  16. marctwo

marctwo Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Sorry to hear the news, that's really cr*ppy.

I avoided getting the Alu mirrors for this reason too. Before I bought my car I was looking at one at my local stealers and the next time I went back for a second look the mirrors had been nicked. Last time I was there I noticed that the dealer had removed the covers to prevent this happening again.

I hope you get it sorted soon and that it won't spoil your enjoyment of a great car.
  17. tomost

tomost Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Ian sorry to hear that. I would be sick just to find a dent or scratch on my car but for some thieving git to do that to your wingmirrors. You are rightly gutted.

I am a believer on what goes around, comes around, so maybe the b*****d got run over on the way home.

tomo.
  18. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    I wouldn't take it personally mate, I'd bet these were nicked to order saying as there £500 from the dealers.
  19. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Yeh - now that i've calmed down a wee bit i think you are right nervus.

Sod locking wheel nuts - need locking mirror somethings!!

My clio is worth less than one wing mirror without glass on my audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would be nice if the stolen mirrors exploded if taken 100 metres from the car or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (stupid and flawed i know - but makes me feel better!)
  20. marctwo

marctwo Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    RacingTeatray said:
    That's so unamusing. I feel for you.

My local dealership here in East London (Docklands Audi) takes all the chrome mirrors off its in-stock S3s to avoid this happening - apparently it's a real problem for them.

I learnt this once when down one morning to drop the car off for a service and asking the sales manager whether he knew that the otherwise very smart approved-used S3 sitting by the entrance to the show-room had no wing-mirrors....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was talking about as I live in Docklands too. When I asked them about it they also told me a story about getting into work one day to find 3 TT's up on bricks with their wheels missing! They've got cameras etc etc but there's just no stopping some people. No wonder my insurance is so high!! If they spent more time on their own cars instead of wrecking other people's then maybe they would not look like they had just driven through Halfords covered in super glue.
  21. RacingTeatray

RacingTeatray Freezing in Moscow

[Jan 13, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    marctwo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    RacingTeatray said:
    That's so unamusing. I feel for you.

My local dealership here in East London (Docklands Audi) takes all the chrome mirrors off its in-stock S3s to avoid this happening - apparently it's a real problem for them.

I learnt this once when down one morning to drop the car off for a service and asking the sales manager whether he knew that the otherwise very smart approved-used S3 sitting by the entrance to the show-room had no wing-mirrors....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was talking about as I live in Docklands too. When I asked them about it they also told me a story about getting into work one day to find 3 TT's up on bricks with their wheels missing! They've got cameras etc etc but there's just no stopping some people. No wonder my insurance is so high!! If they spent more time on their own cars instead of wrecking other people's then maybe they would not look like they had just driven through Halfords covered in super glue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I see! Grille badges (eg quattro or S3) and centre caps are other favourites especially if you have RS4 alloys.

I've just moved into a gated development so hopefully the car will be safe behind the electric gates.

Actually the insurance where I am in SE16 is cheaper than if I was in smart SW7 (where the gf is) - apparently the theiving classes go off stealing in the classier neighbourhoods rather than on their own doorsteps!
  22. Drysdale

Drysdale Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Ian - check my reply in you wanted thread in the trading post. Found what you're looking for, less the glass!
  23. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Sorry 2 hear that m8, i would be heart broken, put a cheap pair on, move house then get proper 1s back on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  24. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Cheers Rick.
    I went for these
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4519416873&fromMakeTrack=true
    They do electics for 50quid more, and with indicators in for another 10. but no point.
    Cheap as possible at the mo.
    But thank got they didn't scratch or damage the rest of the car. A pretty professional job!!
    also i see Vagparts do a retracting S3 jobbie!! Maybe one day when i get that big mansion with garage, i'll get them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  25. bigshout

bigshout Member

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Ian, the ebay listing is for a bid which still has 6 days left. I'm sure they will increase in price coming nearer to auction end. Good luck buddy.
  26. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Jan 14, 2005]
    If you really want some more mate just get some in pro ones of rich. Thats my S3 he used in the picture to show you and believe me you can only tell the difference if you touch them!

Plus if it does ever happen again it won't cost so much to repair!

Good luck!
  27. RAPS3

RAPS3 Well-Known Member

[Jan 15, 2005]
    Ian, As said on other thread, I have some mirrors sat in the garage. They're complete units, not Alu though, theyre azure blue. Then get some Inpro ones of Rich and Bobs your uncle.