New car... time to swap RNS-E, few questions

Nickl

Reaction score
Hi,

I previously fitted my RNS-E unit into my old A3 which had a Symphony II unit and it was really easy (didn't have BOSE/MFSW/GSM prep), didn't even require any Vagcom/VCDS coding however I have just bought a new A3 with a few extra goodies that I fear may make it a more complicated job. Was wondering if you could let me know what I'll need.

The car is a 2008 A3 with the new double din symphony unit, it has multifunctional steering wheel, BOSE and GSM mobile prep in armrest.

Will I still need a GPS antenna or will this already be installed into the sharkfin with the phone prep? Will my existing KUFATEC harness still work or will I need to order a new one because of the BOSE or will I just be able to move some pins in the existing one? And lastly will I need to have some coding done after the installation?

Finally here's some pics of the new car:

a31.jpg

a32.jpg

a34.jpg

Since its a 2008 car with a Concert unit you will already have the Quadlock so no extra harnesses needed.

For your Bose all you have to do is move a pin , you also might need to buy the 32pin AV Connector to keep your AUX-in connection working.

GSM Prep gives you the sharkfin but im very confident that it will not include a GPS antenna, so you will need one

Coding 100% needed

And for newest maps of the RNS-e just drop me a pm, i can sort you out
:)

Oh , i forgot! Lovely car mate :)

Last edited:
Some people change the whole system (including me) and some learn to live with the fault and the -kinda- worst FM reception

I have my old antennas(upper&lowerunits) which I think u will need for ure radio reception as I changed my single din unit to double din and changed my tailgate antennas with two I bought from Aristides , so pm me if ure interested

Hehe things do change hands around here!

Yeah, the old antennas would work just great, my car is also a 2008 model (had the concert unit) and with the old antennas everything works great now

Since its a 2008 car with a Concert unit you will already have the Quadlock so no extra harnesses needed.

For your Bose all you have to do is move a pin , you also might need to buy the 32pin AV Connector to keep your AUX-in connection working.

Thanks for all the quick replies, few more questions:

Sorry so will I need to use my Kufatec harness or will the concert unit already have one? If it already has one I guess I won't need to move any pins? Not sure the car has an AUX-in connection?

Since my car is a MY08 (2008/6 Production) i`m thinking they will be the same

So yeah, since it has a symphony double din unit already no harnesses needed as said before. But you will have to move the BOSE wire for the system to work properly.

Just get the car and if it has the AUX-in port we will sort that out too :)

what yer got in there now interms of head unit?

i bought the newer chrome button version (08 model) off Geriant on here - newer amps were needed

Chrome button what, rns-e or concert? as all rns units use the same amps as I've had old & new in my car & never an issue with antenna thrown codes.

Concert stereo with 6 disc changer to replace the old 6 disc unit i had (cd, radio, cassette unit) - old 1 looked a bit dated