New Car 'Running in'

StefRobinson

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, first post etc.. :)

I was just wondering roughly how long would a car normally take for the engine to start to 'run in' and loosen up?

Picked up my brand new A3 Sportback 1.6TDI SLine Stronic in Daytona Grey yesterday! :)

At the moment, the engine does feel slightly tight, which is obviously to be expected as it only has 30 miles on the clock!

Am I right to assume that I will start to see an increase in MPG over time, when the engine hasn't literally just left the showroom?

I've read a few interesting threads here around MPG and the Audi Drive Select. This morning's run to work (18 miles), I managed to get 53mpg with the ADS in Efficiency, and I was driving it like I was scared to use the accelerator!! I did expect a little more to be honest, but it's better than the old car!

I think I'm going to pop the ADS into Auto instead of Efficiency, as I think a few people have commented that it's a better drive and throttle response, and some have actually achieved better MPG in Auto. The Efficiency mode does seem rather a dull drive in terms of having the press the accelerator quite hard to actually move at all.

I'm just interested in everyone thoughts and experiences :)

I think Auto is the 'default' as it were (or 'normal'), but I haven't actually tried any of the other modes (other than dynamic briefly). What does comfort do? Is it half way between eco and auto?

The mpg should go up over time I think, as well as the performance.

There is a section in the manual on running in.

In summary:
For the first 1000km (600 miles) don't go over 2/3 max revs. Don't use full throttle, and don't tow anything.
For the next 500km (300 miles) gradually increase the revs and throttle you use.