New car or walk away

andyrg

Reaction score
Right guys have a 2001 s3 68k on the drive in loan from my motor trade mate, he said to try it for a bit.

Issies ive found that donr want me to be out off and wondered if there were common issues. Here goes

1) break pedal is near on on the floor before the breaks work, discs look poor tbh but didnt think that this wiuld cause that? Ideas?

2) bits of bodywork need tarted up here and there.

3) clutch has about a inch of play on pedal like slack before it does any thing and the clutch when ar say 3000rpm in 6th up a hill sdoes lift the revs a little then falls soni guess it needs a clutch.

He wants 2300 for the car as a favour to me as he has it up for 3650...

He will pay for the parts to fix but the clutch sounds like a pricey job

Opinions please ;)

It's probably never had its clutch changed so that needs to be done. Brakes are probably the same so discs and pads and fluid should help the feel of the brakes. If he's paying for it all sounds good? The check for usual paint bubbling etc. more info is in the stickies section. I suggest you have a good read before you buy!

I will the top passange side were the 1/4 joins the roof has some bubbling. ..

Sounds like a cheap car if only 68k on it.... Other problems are nothing major... Cambelt will be due for a change... Do water pump as well.... Still not pricey... All depends whether you like it or not.... Usually gets you the minute you drive it and give it some beans.... Did me anyway....

Sounds like a cheap car if only 68k on it.... Other problems are nothing major... Cambelt will be due for a change... Do water pump as well.... Still not pricey... All depends whether you like it or not.... Usually gets you the minute you drive it and give it some beans.... Did me anyway....

needs a clutch , and could need a cambelt , and some body work , and you say a cheap car lol , :nyah:

Every car needs a clutch and timing belt change, I rather buy a car that hasn't yet had it but for cheap. The reason is I've seen (and know) of dodgey people who are forging very legit looking receipts or getting their friends to print out an invoice for them when it hasn't even had it done! Or clock the mileage back with new MOT certs showing the new mileage and fake garage receipts showing the same mileage! Even been offered for mine to be done but what's the point? I bought my car at 150k because it was an honest car with shed loads of work done to it!

Reactions: JudderMan and thegoal007
Every car needs a clutch and timing belt change, I rather buy a car that hasn't yet had it but for cheap. The reason is I've seen (and know) of dodgey people who are forging very legit looking receipts or getting their friends to print out an invoice for them when it hasn't even had it done! Or clock the mileage back with new MOT certs showing the new mileage and fake garage receipts showing the same mileage! Even been offered for mine to be done but what's the point? I bought my car at 150k because it was an honest car with shed loads of work done to it!

And yours has been used instead of being laid up for months at a time. If a car hasn't done 12k miles a year then I'd worry.

Has you motor trade mate said that he will fix the problems then no matter what the price?

I'm assuming he will do all the work himself or get someone else to do it for peanuts as he's in the motor trade? Other wise it will be pricey bill for the discs, pads, fluid and clutch kit all to be purchased and replaced.

If you do take the car then the oil pick up pipe could probably do with being cleaned out or replaced as well tbh (£12ish).

Yeah the oil pick up doesnt bother me, I had a clio running a 20vt so the engine im not so bothered about. Its the 4wd system that worrys me doing the clutch.

Hell do the work him self but no doubt ill have to help! I dont mind I work for him on a Saturday doing clio belts on the 172/182s

Ordered new breaks to be done today and neee to sort clutch regardless if I buy or not hell have to replace this stuff any ways

Does it have a stack of service history to backup the mileage? For 2300 personally, I'd take a punt and fix it up to enjoy it, throw in a few subtle mods along the way. Running a car like an S3 is never going to be cheap anyways, it's a high performance hatchback! Bear in mind that after you have spent the monies to fix it, keep it for a while to make it worthwhile, and not sell it 6 months down the line and moan how much it cost you during that period!

It was a good, and still IS a good car! :laugh:

It was a good, and still IS a good car! :laugh:

bought it from a dodgey Chinese guy! :p

funny enough one guy came up to me and days! "DVD fo sale! £2 each or 5 for £10!" And I thought Asians were dodgey! Lol

And yours has been used instead of being laid up for months at a time. If a car hasn't done 12k miles a year then I'd worry.

I wouldn't. Mines only done 71k miles & has averaged between 5-6 K a year.
I do have access to 3 other cars mind, but as the 2nd owner I know its a good 'un ;)

I would look for a stack of receipts or MOT history tho.

Reactions: 16Klappe
needs a clutch , and could need a cambelt , and some body work , and you say a cheap car lol , :nyah:
Obviously what you class as cheap and what I class as cheap and what you pay for your work and what I pay for my work are worlds apart fella....:whistle2:

Personally....

I wouldn't touch it for more than £1800.

Regardless of mileage if a car hasn't been looked after it hasn't been looked after. An enthusiast car like an S3 SHOULD be faultless; if my brakes were spongey or my clutch had play then if would be sorted straight away. And I've only got a lowly A3.

I would rather a 140k car with excellent history than a 70k car with faults.

Personally....

I wouldn't touch it for more than £1800.

Regardless of mileage if a car hasn't been looked after it hasn't been looked after. An enthusiast car like an S3 SHOULD be faultless; if my brakes were spongey or my clutch had play then if would be sorted straight away. And I've only got a lowly A3.

I would rather a 140k car with excellent history than a 70k car with faults.

Lucky the guys not selling to you then! :moa:

Reactions: 16Klappe
But still has fault.

Doesn't add up, why maintain a 10 year old car at the main dealers but have a dodgy clutch and brake issues.

Sure the history is genuine?

Car has full dealer history.

I haven't had the best experiences when going to main dealers tbh.

They don't come across as particularly knowledgeable or clued up about cars that are out of warranty and ageing; hence why even though it has full dealer history- there are still issues? Doesn't quiet add up.

I walked away from this. To many issues

Wise choice I reckon! There are plenty more out there...

As an example, I just put mine through its MOT yesterday & at 10 years old, it never even had one advisory.

Properly looked after :)