New car detailing advice

TurboBen

Reaction score
I should hopefully be taking delivery of my Sepang S3 saloon next month, and, following on from a previous thread, I get the impression most people are of the opinion I should keep the dealer away from the paintwork and do the detail myself.

What advice can people give me? What products would you recommend?

I was looking at gardx from the dealer. I wouldn't get it from the dealer, but it can be bought off ebay for about £20. Is it worth it? Are there any better products out there or are they just a waste of time?

Ideally if someone could point me in the direction of a decent detailing kit I would be grateful. Not too expensive though!

Any advice would be most welcome. I've had my current car 7 years and it's been through a machine wash once :shrug:

I should hopefully be taking delivery of my Sepang S3 saloon next month, and, following on from a previous thread, I get the impression most people are of the opinion I should keep the dealer away from the paintwork and do the detail myself.

I was looking at gardx from the dealer. I wouldn't get it from the dealer, but it can be bought off ebay for about £20. Is it worth it? Are there any better products out there or are they just a waste of time?

Ideally if someone could point me in the direction of a decent detailing kit I would be grateful. Not too expensive though!

Any advice would be most welcome. I've had my current car 7 years and it's been through a machine wash once :shrug:
Turbo
I get my car soon and also have the same question so will follow this with enthusiasm.

Turbo
I get my car soon and also have the same question so will follow this with enthusiasm.
@TurboBen @Kings999 - Plenty of info here guys
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-car-detailing.224713/

& here (if you dare lol)
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/

Thanks for that. Kind of just confirms that most dealers should be kept away from paintwork. Anyone had any experience with JCT600 in Hull?

That second forum is a bit information overload tbh, I wouldn't know where to start :scared2:

Definitely don't let the dealer touch your paintwork, especially with GardX or any paint protection system. If you don't want to go too OTT simply buy a decent wax, decent tyre sheen and some decent shampoo. I'd start with some Megs NXT, easy to use and decent product, cheap too! Megs Tyre Endurance Gel sorts your tyre sheen out. Megs Gold Class Shampoo with a lambs wool mitt, two buckets and a grit guard. Do you have a pressure washer? For further protection, some Poorboys Alloy Wheel Sealant.
You can get addicted to detailing like me and BH above! And it gets very expensive. Nearly forgot, plenty Microfiber clothes. Costco do 30 large towels for £11.
That should get you started and you'll have change out of £50. Happy new car cleaning! :racer::racer:

Reactions: Forbzeeee and Bristle Hound
I got Audi to GuardX my S3, didn't pay anywhere near what the rrp is. I think it's blooming brill, I jet wash my car at the local BP once a week, only use rinse and wax options and then once a month I've been getting a local valeter to use the additional GuardX pack to go over the car properly.

I'm happy... but others love the whole DIY detailing - which I don't

I have Sepang and, yes... detailing is addictive :smile new:. I'm two months in and still learning with each wash!!

After some great advice, and the links above, from BH @Bristle Hound I'm enjoying it!!! I used to have my previous S3 washed by my valeter (...who selfishly moved away) so I was a complete novice.

My tips echo those above from @Scottyg - decent, reputable, non-expensive products at first, see what you like and then you can start trying others, like I have. :)

Reactions: Scottyg, Kings999 and Bristle Hound
and, yes... detailing is addictive :smile new:
oh and Expensive.
I'm not a big spender but did a quick reckon up an Iv'e spent over £500 in the last 2 years, but there again I am keeping 4 cars in the family clean each week (now where is there a Smilie with a sore Elbow)

Read that before. He went through a very lengthy process with some expensive products. However, the results speak for themselves.

Dont use polish use a wax or glaze on a new car.................

^^^^that depends on how bad your dealer is if you choose to let them clean it. :racer:
Easy answer to that Scott - Don't let ANY Dealer clean your car EVER!

Reactions: voorhees
I'm a valeter employed by Nissan but also have a very close eye for detail.

When cleaning a new car I NEVER use a brush I always use a sponge and very good shampoo (we use AutoGlym products in my garage) and then dry it with a large drying towel as some dirt particles can be picked up using a chamois. I then express wax the entire vehicle as the paint still has protection from the factory.

Sometimes tho depending how long car has been sat around I may have to clay bar to rid off any contamination or overspray left behind. If you don't trust your dealer tho then take my advice and first thing is apply a good coat of wax! I prefer autoglym HD wax or chemical guys!

If got any questions then please don't hesitate contact me bud

I'd never use a sponge on my car. Probably the worst washing product at dragging dirt across the car.

I'd never use a sponge on my car. Probably the worst washing product at dragging dirt across the car.

But if you've already washed the car off before hand and store correctly there should be issue with dirt being dragged across

Just saying

No matter how well you prepare a car and how well you store or clean your gear, sponges will always get bit of grit stuck in there wee holes! It's the nature of there design. Sponges absorb everything, water, grit and everything else. At some point one or more of those hidden in the holes bits of dirt is going to come out and scratch your paint work.
I'm also a trained detailer/Valet and Autoglym approved via my mates company. Albeit in 97-2000!!
MF wash mitts or Lambs Wool will absorb the dirt but not dump it back on the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound
I'm a valeter employed by Nissan but also have a very close eye for detail.

When cleaning a new car I NEVER use a brush I always use a sponge and very good shampoo (we use AutoGlym products in my garage) and then dry it with a large drying towel as some dirt particles can be picked up using a chamois. I then express wax the entire vehicle as the paint still has protection from the factory.

Sometimes tho depending how long car has been sat around I may have to clay bar to rid off any contamination or overspray left behind. If you don't trust your dealer tho then take my advice and first thing is apply a good coat of wax! I prefer autoglym HD wax or chemical guys!

If got any questions then please don't hesitate contact me bud
@BennybS3 - I'm sorry my friend I'm going to have to comment on your post

Sponge - You should never use one to clean a car. No matter how well it is stored/looked after
AutoGlym shampoo is ok, but wouldn't class it as a decent one
MF drying towels - should be washed after every use. Ideally you should use at least 3 large towels to dry a car
New cars have zero paint protection on them from the factory
I would never trust ANY dealer to clean my car, ever
First thing you should do when you collect a new car is strip everything off that the dealer has put on it, as a rule it has been badly applied and c rap quality gear. Its all about the prep

BUT it might be just me and my OCD kicking in good time lol

As always, just my opinion of course ... :hi:

Reactions: Blackwhite and Scottyg
Love dipping in and out of DW to read up on new stuff. Some of the guys over there spend crazy amounts trying all the new products etc. either they are still single or got mega bucks!! :respekt::greedy dollars:

Love dipping in and out of DW to read up on new stuff. Some of the guys over there spend crazy amounts trying all the new products etc. either they are still single or got mega bucks!! :respekt::greedy dollars:
@Scottyg - I know what you mean
I always end up spending when I spend time on there. However, I did need some stuff - honest! lol

Reactions: Scottyg and Blackwhite