New Car Decision...

Palacemads3

Reaction score
Hi. Hopefully looking for some thoughts and opinions here...

I had my S3 stolen 3 weeks ago, been paid out by the insurance and now looking out for a new car. My new car is going to become the 'family' car for an 18 month and 6 year old, with also the potential of a new dog in the next couple of years. Unfortunately, because of this the other half has scuppered my plans of an S5. So this leads me to the options of an A4 Avant or Q5. My history of cars over the past 13 years has been two s3's and a Clio sport 172 before them, so I've had very good performance from cars for a number of years.

With regards to the A4 I'm thinking about either an S4 or the 2 litre TFSI 254bhp model. Does anyone have any experience of driving these two models? Obviously the performance of the 2 litre won't match the v6 engine, but is it still of good enough performance to keep me happy and potentially save me some money?

Any comments on experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Firstly congrats on the growing family mate, that will keep you busy : )

Secondly sorry to hear about the S3, there's some scum out there that have no respect for those that work hard to have nice things!

I also have an S3 and like you needed something bigger to help with 2 kids and now 2 dogs, therefore an estate car was required.

I didn't want to compromise performance so the S4 Avant ticked a lot of boxes for me, however I understand your comment on cost and this clearly isn't a cheaper option over the S3.

Test drive in the S4 sealed the deal and the overall experience was something special over the S3 saloon which I have owned and loved for the last 1 1/2 years.

Can't comment on the 2.0 TFSI 245bhp model but I imagine it will provide plenty of go in most circumstances without the 'theatrics' of the S4 model with the noise, looks wise the S4 is very covert so not much in it to the untrained eye.

Test drive both and see if you can live with the 2.0 coming from the S3, however I'm sure the S4 will make you want it so maybe don't test drive if you don't think you can push to that with finances etc.

Good luck with your choices, I'm sure others on here will provide some good feedback on experiences.

Reactions: Kestrel
Thanks.

I have had a good look round and some of the deals that seem to be available on both the A4 and S4 I think my budget will stretch to either one. I think you're right about the test drives - have got a couple booked for next week so will see how they go.

My only other slight concern of having an S4 is the fear of it being stolen again. Does anyone on here know if S4's, in particular the Avant are being targeted as the S3 seems to be regularly at the moment.

Depending on the size of dog, I'd look at steering clear of the Q5 as the boot really isn't that big, and if you go for a fixed dog guard, then it's even less space. The A4 Avant is a better option IMO as I looked into an Q5 or an A4, the Q5 boot size was the deciding factor on saying no. I have a GSD x Husky, he's about 30kg:
y4m4p5184_awtfKLtCFMqxp9a73HVXNuTShBZdQ9Q7xQfHYYrcyLWdOM8aAlMvLp_MIboTcgQQ-hW0HyV-z5_SCTX3TlQCoQ1lA9Ahf0ImCoMnhuFCz15L42LfDgOpfYkptJJigK0vBFEH747M7wTAeBEzPrce2_BkMOzndQ-_MzPPYY8Abv1l0qB-1oWy2iP5ZhgaWj2S1HaIMq76y1l8-3Q

In a Q5 he didn't really have enough room due to the rake of the rear screen, but in the Avant, he's got plenty. Also bear in mind you'll probably need some boot space for the kids things too! (Maybe an A6 Avant :D )

Also I intended on getting the 2.0 TFSI 254 Quattro version, and price wise once I'd put a little spec on it, leather seats, 19's, VC, L&V pack, heated seats, electric mirrors nothing too exotic it was actually cheaper to get the S4, so the deal was done!

Not heard about S4's being targetted, I guess it depends on the area (not suggesting you live in a dodgy area, but you know what I mean) and luck, you could look at having a secondary immobiliser fitted, but if they are that intent on stealing it enough to get inside and tear things apart, I'd rather they took it than leave me to clear up the mess they leave behind.
Did you have GAP Insurance or anything on the S3?

Cuke, I had wondered about diesel but I don't think I do enough miles, I don't imagine it will be more than 10k a year and going to work is only around 6 mile round trip.

I do wonder whether the s4 may come in cheaper too, particularly once the depreciation costs are factored in.

Triple...thanks for your thoughts re a dog, that's certainly useful to know! And regarding the GAP, that rather a sore point!! It ran out 5 weeks before the car was stolen. I would have had around £19k in my pocket had it been still running.

Sorry to hear about the S3 being stolen.

Out of the two cars it has to be an S4. Looks and sound seal the deal. Navarra blue and red leather :sign yum:

Reactions: Daggerit
Hi mate i have not heard of any S4,s being stolen it just seems to be the S3 , just get your self a steering lock and you should be able to sleep at night.

Sorry to hear about the S3 being stolen.

Out of the two cars it has to be an S4. Looks and sound seal the deal. Navarra blue and red leather :sign yum:

Just like this one....

The Navarra blue and magma red is lovely - was worried when I ordered, zero regrets now...

250 miles into S4 ownership - the technology is superb. Averaged 34 mpg so far,.. albeit running it in.. monthly costs are very similar to the 2.0T Quattro by time options are added... discounts of up to 15-16 % to be had if you're willing to travel far afield ...

IMG 1186

Reactions: milestonenong, THQuattro and SPIKE_
Just like this one....

The Navarra blue and magma red is lovely - was worried when I ordered, zero regrets now...

250 miles into S4 ownership - the technology is superb. Averaged 34 mpg so far,.. albeit running it in.. monthly costs are very similar to the 2.0T Quattro by time options are added... discounts of up to 15-16 % to be had if you're willing to travel far afield ...

View attachment 134594
That's the one!

Just like this one....

View attachment 134594

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICEEEE! good looking with the alum pack! I ordered one with black pack with black seat. However, IMO the grey and red looks awesome too, but it is bit hard to take care of those seat with those colour!

Btw, the do you think multi V spoke wheels are hard to clean?

Hi. Hopefully looking for some thoughts and opinions here...

I had my S3 stolen 3 weeks ago, been paid out by the insurance and now looking out for a new car. My new car is going to become the 'family' car for an 18 month and 6 year old, with also the potential of a new dog in the next couple of years. Unfortunately, because of this the other half has scuppered my plans of an S5. So this leads me to the options of an A4 Avant or Q5. My history of cars over the past 13 years has been two s3's and a Clio sport 172 before them, so I've had very good performance from cars for a number of years.

With regards to the A4 I'm thinking about either an S4 or the 2 litre TFSI 254bhp model. Does anyone have any experience of driving these two models? Obviously the performance of the 2 litre won't match the v6 engine, but is it still of good enough performance to keep me happy and potentially save me some money?

Any comments on experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Hi there

Bit of my thoughts here. I ordered s4 avant a week ago, which is expected to come to Syd around Nov. I have consider same question as you asked choosing A4 fully loaded and s4.

In Au, if you fully option an A4, the price would be closed to a basic s4. However, for S4 hips of options come as standard (incl pre sense system). Maybe, if you add B&O, sunroof, virtual cockpit, the s4 is well-equipped and good to go as daily driver. I presume U know that ABT can upgrade 254HP a4 to 330HP roughly. Thinking about it in this way, paying some extra to get a V6 and quad-pipes + some pop & cracks, which I believe would give you some fun to drive. 1,300-4,500 RPM, low rev can give you 369 lb-ft (500 Nm), which is a different experience from a 4-cylinder engine.

If I were you, I would go to the spec sheet, have a look at the base model s4 to see if there is any option you need the most and like to add on. Compared with fully loaded A4, see how much difference is. If the gap is ok for you, test drive S4 and a4 to see if it's worth paying the premium for v6.
In Au, mine, basically fully loaded, has only $17k difference from fully loaded a4.

Cheers

Hi

I've got the new Q5 with a four and two year old and we too are contemplating the dog situation. I think the new Q5 boot is perfectly large enough for a half and half dog cage and luggage. I got Navarra Blue SLINE TFSI petrol with 252ps. I don't do the regular long journeys so the diesel didn't make sense. Yes it obviously has less torque but is plenty punchy and has great acceleration when I need it.

Anything else you want to know just ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICEEEE! good looking with the alum pack! I ordered one with black pack with black seat. However, IMO the grey and red looks awesome too, but it is bit hard to take care of those seat with those colour!

Btw, the do you think multi V spoke wheels are hard to clean?
They're filthy after 250 miles .. brake dust magnets.....gonna be a devil to clean all those spokes, yep, but I have street parking and my last Bmw I had diamond cut wheels, and once they are Kerbed, they look bad.. can only be fixed once ...so I didn't go with the rotor look options...
going to get the car detailed properly in a few weeks time before the autumn... will cost £3-400, but proper job will help keep things easier to clean and looking good.

The red magma seats are really classy. ..
IMG 3105

Not garish , but lovely tone and the cross stitching is great. Massage function is also fun... first long journey tomorrow.
No Aluminium pack,this is standard in the UK ( I think in some regions it's extra..).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707147380378?advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Diesel&radius=1500&model=SQ5&sort=price-desc&make=AUDI&keywords=plus &postcode=eh223ln&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

If you don't mind almost new how about an SQ5 plus, sports diff and good spec level out the box - the run out SE model has just about every option. Good on fuel, plenty of grunt, 340bhp and 700NM, in the old tax bracket as well.
Boot is a bit smaller than you'd expect but plenty of room for my cocker spaniel's cage.
With no PX you should be able to get a good deal.

They're filthy after 250 miles .. brake dust magnets.....gonna be a devil to clean all those spokes, yep, but I have street parking and my last Bmw I had diamond cut wheels, and once they are Kerbed, they look bad.. can only be fixed once ...so I didn't go with the rotor look options...
going to get the car detailed properly in a few weeks time before the autumn... will cost £3-400, but proper job will help keep things easier to clean and looking good.

The red magma seats are really classy. ..View attachment 134635

Not garish , but lovely tone and the cross stitching is great. Massage function is also fun... first long journey tomorrow.
No Aluminium pack,this is standard in the UK ( I think in some regions it's extra..).

I think the alu pack is standard for s4, which we dont have to choose but the black optic pack (window trim, front grill, roof rail, rear diffuser frame in black). IMO the alum trim is wicked highlighting body line front to the rear.

I didnt test drive the s4 before I put my deposit. how is the throttle response ? does the new turbo tech mitigate the turbo lag ?

I've got a white s4 avant. 2 dogs and kid on the way.
Best car I have ever owned. Looked at a few different option 335d etc and s4 worked out cheaper per month.
I use it more as a toy and generally average low teen mpg
On a run can get around 30 driving like a granny.
Oh and the wheels are a bitch to keep clean even with a ceramic coating.

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions. The ideal colour would be Navarra Blue but if there is a stock order available I may take advantage of that.

Chris - re the Q5, how do you find the car handles if you want to have a bit of fun in it?

I have two test drives booked for next week, in an S4 and a 2 litre petrol version and another in a Q5. I will let you know my thoughts on the differences between them.

The fuel economy sounds quite reasonable on the S4. If I could average around 30mpg and then push it upwards on the long runs then that would be decent enough for me.

Has anyone specced the optional dampners on the S4?

Reactions: Daggerit
Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions. The ideal colour would be Navarra Blue but if there is a stock order available I may take advantage of that.

Chris - re the Q5, how do you find the car handles if you want to have a bit of fun in it?

I have two test drives booked for next week, in an S4 and a 2 litre petrol version and another in a Q5. I will let you know my thoughts on the differences between them.

The fuel economy sounds quite reasonable on the S4. If I could average around 30mpg and then push it upwards on the long runs then that would be decent enough for me.

I've specced the dampers but won't be able to comment until o collect the car on Friday.

Mid 20s mpg is achievable normal day to day driving. I do short trips and drive it like I stole it
If there's not big difference in costs buying get the s4 because you'll always wish you had if got one and be envious if you see one on the road.
Been there before and makes you hate the car.

I've chucked it in dynamic and sports mode a few times and it's fun, handles well and gives plenty of grip from the Quattro. I don't have the optional sports suspension just the standard dynamic suspension. I mean it's still an SUV at the end of the day and has a higher centre of gravity than the s4 but certainly isn't wallowy.

Here's my
9ea90e543fcc2736c050430eb3f63ed6.jpg
Q5

I've got the optional dampers..all I can say is it's very smooth... didn't have it on my x3.. night and day ride quality.

34mpg for me average during run-in : urban and motorway..

I looked at both an A4 / S4 and a Q5 recently as a replacement for my FLS3.

Main reasons are more space, both boot and in the rear seats and also a better ride.

I love the S3, it's really really quick in everyday driving, gives great mpg for a Quattro dsg and has pretty good kit and a best in class interior.

But having had 3 years in S3's now the harsh ride on Uk roads is beginning to bother me - recently did a trip to the North and each and everyday became slightly less comfortable with the bumps and jarring on badly maintained roads.

Also there were only 2 of us in the car and, as we are not women, we didn't exactly have a large amount of stuff for a week but the boot was full and overflowed onto the back seat. I also drove to the pub on a couple on nights meaning there were 4 chaps in the car, all 6ft+, and it was cramped.

So having driven the S4 I loved it, it had the bigger boot and more space and ticked all the boxes for speed - the 2.0T 254 is still very quick too and has better discounts at the moment too - but both were still very firm on the suspension.

Back to back with the S3 the torsion Quattro is, I have to grudgingly admit, a better 'drive'....

But the additional smoothness of the Q5, ease of higher entry, sliding rear seat and quiet, meant that it just felt like a more comfortable place to be.

The 2.0T Q5 is not that far off an SQ5 too, although discounts are not big...

Navarra Blue
Panaramic
Virtual cockpit
B&O
Extended interior lighting
Led front and rear lights
Reversing camera
20' alloys.

Arriving soon...

Reactions: christuffley
Update...

I have now driven all 3 cars I was considering. The 2.0 litre TFSI Quattro drives really nice, very smooth and in many ways feels a lot like my S3 did, just with a little less grunt at the bottom end. The S4 feels more special, permanently feels as though it is on the edge just waiting to go, definitely will be lots of fun. The Q5 is a total chill out car, very nice to drive and can imagine cruising for miles in it. However, the Q5 is probably going to out of price range so I think that is ruled out.

That leaves the 2 A4's, after searching online for prices etc it would seem I can get the S4 for the same price, so it would seem silly to not go for it. I hope this doesn't seem a silly question - I have never owned an automatic before, my S3's were manual. The gear box in the S4 was constantly wanting to kick down, seemingly regardless of how much I wanted to accelerate. Was this due to the car being set in dynamic? I just know the other half will hate it doing that all the time.

In dynamic and sport it's always wanting to go.
Dynamic and in d is more chilled and smooth. Stick it in economy and it's so lazy and nice to cruise in.
Go for the s4 you won't regret it.
Dynamic and manual is great.

In comfort or efficiency, the S4 is quite a relexed cruiser... the gearbox never feels on edge... mine spends most of the time there, then when you see a clear bit of dual carriage way, switch to dynamic .. though need to play around a bit more ....

I had the exact same dilemma, 2.0TFSI Q or S4.... every time I start the S4, I smile.... that engine.... and in the end, price was the same. Insurance not too bad either...

And the deal has been done...S4 Avant ordered today.

Spec:

Navarro Blue
Comfort Pack
Light and Vision Pack
Storage pack
Adaptive suspension
Memory seats
Folding mirrors with memory function.
Carbon Atlas inlays.

Managed to get 15.5% discount so fairly satisfied with that. Just need to see how long the order will be now, they are going to look at stock orders to see if there is one close enough to my spec.

Reactions: Dunders, no_idea and Riko0073

Spec:

Navarro Blue
Comfort Pack
Light and Vision Pack
Storage pack
Adaptive suspension
Memory seats
Carbon Atlas inlays.

Managed to get 15.5% discount so fairly satisfied with that. Just need to see how long the order will be now, they are going to look at stock orders to see if there is one close enough to my spec.
Nice spec. Does discount include Audi finance contribution?

Couldn't really push myself to the sports diff.

Yeah, the Audi finance contribution is included in that. I could have probably got another £500 or so discount by going elsewhere but that would have resulted in travelling a distance so just thought it was easier to stick to my local(ish) dealer.

Great choice!

I'm picking mine up Tuesday and also coming from an S3.

I know what you mean about the ride in the S3, great on smooth roads but on the poor UK roads it does get tiresome, the S4 I demo'd for the day definitely soaked up the bumps much better and that was without adaptive suspension which I've also spec'd.

Hope you get into your new S4 soon, the 3 month wait on mine has been a test of my patience but all worth it.

I'll be happy with a 3 month wait, had a 6 month wait for my s3 saloon! What spec have you gone with? I'm reallly hoping the adaptive suspension makes a difference, I never noticed a great deal in the s3 but everything I've read says it does in the s4.

Yeah the settings in the S3 aren't that noticeable when it comes to the ride.

My spec:
Daytona
Magma red leather
Carbon atlas trim
19" V spokes (the mid range option)
Light and vision
Comfort and sound
Privacy glass
Keyless entry
Pano roof
Red calipers
Sport diff
Adaptive dampers

Think that's it.

2 more sleeps to go!!

Reactions: cuke2u and Keef
Enjoy! Would love to as some pics once you've collected it. I did consider Daytona, I've said if they find me a stick car I don't mind if it is. I'd have really liked the most expensive alloys, not that keen on the standard ones (they'll be horrendous to wash).

Reactions: Riko0073
Enjoy! Would love to as some pics once you've collected it. I did consider Daytona, I've said if they find me a stick car I don't mind if it is. I'd have really liked the most expensive alloys, not that keen on the standard ones (they'll be horrendous to wash).
Will definitely get some pics up once I get a chance.

Good luck with securing your S4 mate, I chopped and changed between Navarra and Daytona for some time, both lovely colours on the S4.

A stick car, not much use:
Stick car by francesco bernoulli d5efgpa

Spec:

Navarro Blue
Comfort Pack
Light and Vision Pack
Storage pack
Adaptive suspension
Memory seats
Carbon Atlas inlays.

Good discount, direct with a Dealer? My local one does not get anywhere near that. Which did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Having priced up some rather dull cars of late on my Company Car ordering tool, I'm getting closer to coming out of the scheme and getting my own S4. Yes I lose that perceived safety net of a full maintenance/accident/tyres kind of package - but I'd be paying something like £500 a month for a BMW 120d M Sport, or a Golf GTD.

Don't know if it helps Gary, but using carwow to get the quotes I managed 18.1% discount (with PCP). My local dealer initially offered a generous £2k, but within 10 minutes was matching the carwow quote. Not on a S4 though, but the principle is the same. I think at the end of the day, if the dealer can see what you can buy the car for elsewhere, they know the choice is going to be to sell you a car, or let you buy it elsewhere.

The best deal I got offered was through Coast2Coast, I then used that as leaverage with a dealership. They didn't quite match it but got close enough for me to be happy with it. I made it clear to the salesman I could get a better price but in return I expected to be well looked after and receive a good gift for the misses on collection!