New car... 2.0TDI -> 2.0TFSI

scaramanga

Reaction score
After many years of being sensible and driving diesels, swapped my 2.0TDI (140) for the 2.0T a couple of days ago...

Haven't put many miles on the new car yet, but first impressions are very good. Had forgotten just how much smoother/quieter petrol engines are! Was v worried about missing the torque of the diesel, but the 2.0T pulls surprisingly strongly (and haven't been above 3k yet).

New car doesn't have BOSE (which i had on the old car)... but i don't actually miss it. The reqular system is 90% as good IMHO as long as you aren't pumping the system at seriously loud levels.

Only thing i miss at the moment is the 450 mile range on old car!!

scaramanga said:
After many years of being sensible and driving diesels, swapped my 2.0TDI (140) for the 2.0T a couple of days ago...

Haven't put many miles on the new car yet, but first impressions are very good. Had forgotten just how much smoother/quieter petrol engines are! Was v worried about missing the torque of the diesel, but the 2.0T pulls surprisingly strongly (and haven't been above 3k yet).

New car doesn't have BOSE (which i had on the old car)... but i don't actually miss it. The reqular system is 90% as good IMHO as long as you aren't pumping the system at seriously loud levels.

Good luck with the new car, I am going the other way, as I need the 450 mile range, it will take some getting used to !

Cheers

:think:

Get used to the 300 mile tank at just over £50 a fill. Would rather have the 2.0T anyday :)

good to see a few more coming back to the sweet smell of Petrol, you won't regret it,

I dream of 300 miles tank ranges!! :racer:

I came from a 2.0FSI A4 to the 2.0 TFSI A4 The MPG is excellent for such a quick car I have had 500 miles from a tank which was travelling form yourkshire into the centre of London and back, and I have heavy right foot.. My car will be back at the dealer next week at the gears are crunching in 4th 5th and 6th.... but I've read this is common fault on the gear box in the TFSI. Enjoy it....

killbill said:
Good luck with the new car, I am going the other way, as I need the 450 mile range, it will take some getting used to !

Cheers

:think:

Not really! I went the same way but I went from 220 miles to a tank of optimax to 420 :)

J.

Sounds good scaramanga. I'm sure if I returned to the petrol fold it would have to be a turbocharged engine as the torque is the one thing I'd miss. Plus 35mpg doesn't sound too bad to me at all!

scaramanga said:

Congrats on the new car. I've recently done exactly the same ! As you say, the torque on the 2.0T is very good, and you can drive it in a very lazy fashion if you want to (change up at 2000rpm in every gear !). Silky smooth and quiet too.

Fuel consumption is not as bad as I exepected. Just done a 30 mile run, mixture of A roads and M-ways, and got 36mpg.

scaramanga said:

Thats odd, we get 410-430 miles from every tank!

Smudge973 said:
I came from a 2.0FSI A4 to the 2.0 TFSI A4 The MPG is excellent for such a quick car I have had 500 miles from a tank which was travelling form yourkshire into the centre of London and back, and I have heavy right foot.. My car will be back at the dealer next week at the gears are crunching in 4th 5th and 6th.... but I've read this is common fault on the gear box in the TFSI. Enjoy it....

A4s have a 70 litre tank though?

Vertigo1 said:
In a 2.0T!? Don't think so somehow.

Sounds feasible.

55 litre tank = 12.1 gallons
If you are doing longish journeys, you can easily get 34mpg, which gives 411 miles.

Unless I'm much mistaken, we're talking averages here, as the 450 miles quoted for a 2.0TDI is certainly an average as opposed to the maximum possible.

Given that, 34mpg is not average for a 2.0T. If you want to compare the 2.0T at the top end of its economy then you need to compare like with like, which in the case of the 2.0TDI is over 700 miles to a tank.

The 2.0T is a great engine but please don't try to claim it's anywhere near as economical as the 2.0TDI

Hi,

Ive got a 2TFSI Quattro S-Line SE. Its now 7 months old, and have done 13100 miles in it.

Except the first three tanks, we have managed over 400 miles from EVERY tank. Quattro tank is 60 litres and fillups range from 55-61 litres. The DIS 100 hour average at the moment is on 32.9mpg.

I would say its very possible. One think I will say is that if you drive the TFSI like a NA car on the throttle you WILL get 25mpg. Whereas if you drive it like a turbo you can get 30-40mpg every trip.

killbill said:

Cheers mate! 200 miles later still loving it, but can't wait for the engine to loosen up. Have to admit, I still think the 2.0TDI is a fantastic car and the 170hp version should be even better. That said, its amazing how much quieter its petrol-engined version is after you've driven a diesel for so long...

Suspect the residual values will be stronger on the diesel (even though i took a massive hit on mine on trade-in!)

da3m said:
good to see a few more coming back to the sweet smell of Petrol...

You can say that again!!! i'm just worried i may stop at the wrong pump cos the new car is almost exactly the same as the old one... May have to have "PETROL" tatooed into my right hand :)

mfspen said:
Congrats on the new car. I've recently done exactly the same !

Cheers mate - great minds and all that.... sorry to ask an ignorant question but is there a big difference between Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate ?

benw123 said:
Sounds good scaramanga. I'm sure if I returned to the petrol fold it would have to be a turbocharged engine as the torque is the one thing I'd miss. Plus 35mpg doesn't sound too bad to me at all!

Too early for me to give you a view, but i'm not sure you'd miss it... the shame about the diesels is the narrow torque band (ie. after 3500 its all over)... Haven't seen the torque curve but I'm assuming (read: hoping!) the 2.0T keeps going all the way up to 5000ish...

scaramanga said:
....Haven't seen the torque curve but I'm assuming (read: hoping!) the 2.0T keeps going all the way up to 5000ish...

It does.
2.0T torque curve is flat (280Nm) from 2000 to 5500rpm.
2.0TDI gives a bit more (320Mm) from 2000 to 2500rpm, above which it falls off gradually.
I have the curves on another PC - will try to dig them out.

I've not really experimented much with different petrol yet. Tried Texaco super unleaded and couldn't really tell any difference from their standard unleaded.

Vertigo1 said:
Unless I'm much mistaken, we're talking averages here, as the 450 miles quoted for a 2.0TDI is certainly an average as opposed to the maximum possible.

Given that, 34mpg is not average for a 2.0T. If you want to compare the 2.0T at the top end of its economy then you need to compare like with like, which in the case of the 2.0TDI is over 700 miles to a tank.

The 2.0T is a great engine but please don't try to claim it's anywhere near as economical as the 2.0TDI

Yes, I certainly agree that the 2.0TDI is much more economical than the 2.0T. I used to average about 46mpg from mine, but I do average 34mpg from the 2.0T.

These are the figures I get :-

10 min journeys to and from work (cold start) - 28mpg
50 mile run on A-roads - 36mpg
Constant 70mph on M-way - 36mpg
Constant 80mph on M-way - 34mpg
Typical average - 34mpg

Another thing about the 2tfsi is that the torque curve is sold as being flat when its not. They draw a flat line from 1800-5000rpm saying 280nm I believe, and I think in the small print its a 'at least' 280nm from 1800-5000.

Just like all turbo it surges to a peak at just over 3000rpm and drops off again. So the peak might well be 350nm at 3000rpm then dropping back off to 280 at 5000rpm. Linear it is not.

Xedos said:
Another thing about the 2tfsi is that the torque curve is sold as being flat when its not. They draw a flat line from 1800-5000rpm saying 280nm I believe, and I think in the small print its a 'at least' 280nm from 1800-5000.

Just like all turbo it surges to a peak at just over 3000rpm and drops off again. So the peak might well be 350nm at 3000rpm then dropping back off to 280 at 5000rpm. Linear it is not.

Did a quick Google :-

A3 2.0T :-
http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=215

Looks pretty flat to me !

mfspen said:
Did a quick Google :-

A3 2.0T :-
http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=215

Looks pretty flat to me !

Thats quite an ironic RR test, they measure wheel horsepower and compare it with flywheel and state its less than quoted :D

That dyno looks a little odd too.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g285/GTIAPRTUNED/2.jpg thats one curve from the 2l tfsi engine forget hp, just look at the torque curve.

Another one http://homepage.mac.com/cvervais/gli/dyno/peak_hp.jpg torque builds from 1800ish peaks near 3k.

another one http://eplabs.net/chip_fsi.jpg

Its quite easy to drive and feel the torque, disregarding 1st gear where you dont get boost till 4k anyway but later rpm, its still building until gone 3k. Im is not flat from 1800.