1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Audi and A New Memeber

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by darrenp, Jun 5, 2003.

1. darrenp

darrenp Member

[Jun 5, 2003]
    Hi there,
    I am a new member (from N. Ireland) to this forum and a new Audi owner as of last Friday, a 1999 110 TDI SE - I'll up load a picture very soon.

Anyway, has anyone any advice on anything to keep an eye on, - this is my first Turbo Diesel.

One thing, when going through the gears at about 2000 revs there is a 'drolling/vibrating' sound - is this a normal diesel sound or would something be loose and vibrating.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. tobybutler

tobybutler New Member

[Jun 5, 2003]
    Hi Darren, keep an eye on the road!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Not sure about the TD though.
  4. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Jun 5, 2003]
    Not sure, although I've been driving an A3 1.9TDi this week and it chugs like a tractor when idling, or low rev's.

In fact was wondering this myself - why do the diesels sounds like tractors when theres no/little engine load, but don't sound too bad when they are up and going !?
  5. paulshaw

paulshaw New Member

[Jun 8, 2003]
    I pointed out the same kind of noise on my car to a friend who is a mechanic and he reckons it's just the turbo spooling up..................(I hope he's right !)
  6. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Jun 10, 2003]
    Sounds like the turbo spooling and all that torque rattling the transmission etc. I can't say if this is normal or not, but I guess its a feasible explaination /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif