New Audi A3

Me21

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a brand new Audi A3 with PCP as I've received a pretty appealing quote from drive the deal, see below:

Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0 TDI 150PS
Audi Sound System w/ 10 Speakers
Black Styling Pack
Brilliant Black Paint (I'm after a black car, wasn't convinced paying an extra £525 for phantom black?)
Comfort Pack
Heated Front Seats
Hill Hold Assist
Sat Nav

£5,000 deposit
£254.38/mo for 47 months
£11,852 GFV

Are there any extras that you would/wouldn't recommend?

I've seen mixed reviews online regards to which suspension to go for on the S-line, which would you guys recommend?

There's a few month lead time on these at the moment, if I bought today I would receive delivery in June/July, so I'm looking to order in the next month or two for a delivery early in September for the new 64 plate.

Matt

Reactions: Psyman79 and Sandra
Hi Matt, welcome to audi-sport.net. Good luck with your choice of car. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Welcome to the forum, regarding options/extras..it's all down to personal preference. Have you test drove one? Try the 184ps you might like that

Welcome to the forum, regarding options/extras..it's all down to personal preference. Have you test drove one? Try the 184ps you might like that

I've not got round to test driving one yet, possibly this weekend or the next weekend.

I've been told that the 184PS is a bit of a waste on the front wheel drive as there is a lot of spinning, therefore the quattro is recommended (this coming from a salesman...), however I'm only 21 so the 184 Quattro is quite a bit more expensive on insurance + to buy.

Edit:

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Hey there, welcome to the club.

I'm sure there'll be plenty people on to suggest what they'd spec but obviously its completely down to what you want/need. Have you thought about the folding mirrors? they were standard on my last car so overlooked adding them, wish i had though.

With regards to the engine, do you do enough miles to justify the diesel as the 1.4 TFSI COD is a good engine and that would give you more money for toys :)

With regards to suspension, i have the S-Line sports and love it but again thats personal choice. I can see how some people would think it harsh as you do notice the bumps.

Si. :)

The Interior light package adds a touch of class to the interior and personally I think is well worth the extra £170 on an S-Line.

The Light and Rain sensor package is also very useful and again is good value at £150.

The Through-load facility is useful if you every need to carry an long items - £150.

I've not got round to test driving one yet, possibly this weekend or the next weekend.

I've been told that the 184PS is a bit of a waste on the front wheel drive as there is a lot of spinning, therefore the quattro is recommended (this coming from a salesman...), however I'm only 21 so the 184 Quattro is quite a bit more expensive on insurance + to buy.

Edit:

Not true. If you floor it in first and second then yes you'd expect wheel spinning, you'd expect that in any car to be honest. Drive normally and it won't spin

The Interior light package adds a touch of class to the interior and personally I think is well worth the extra £170 on an S-Line.

The Light and Rain sensor package is also very useful and again is good value at £150.

The Through-load facility is useful if you every need to carry an long items - £150.

Light and rain is part of comfort pack :)

Reactions: PilotAudi

He has comfort pack in his options list so the light and rain sensor pack is included in the comfort pack :)

Edit-psyman beat me to it

Reactions: Psyman79
Welcome Matt, there are numerous options available however you have to be governed by your finances as I was. Just work out 'must haves', then with any spare finances add other items you would like.

Edit:

Who told you that???? Salesman is an idiot. Or he thinks he can sway you into buying a Quattro.
I find traction no problem what so ever, I'm sure if I tried to leave every set of lights flat there might be a problem, but even with spirited driving I've not found any issues. What I have noticed is that the 184 doesn't seem to have as much low rev torque as some diesels, such as the BMW. It drives very similar to a petrol car in some respects.

All in all its a great car, but the only way is to try one your self.

Not true. If you floor it in first and second then yes you'd expect wheel spinning, you'd expect that in any car to be honest. Drive normally and it won't spin

I agree. I've been driving a 170 A3 for many years and I don't get any problem with wheel spin. It all down to how you drive.

My next A3 will be a 184 and will be a quattro, mainly because I want s-tronic and Audi only do a 184 with s-tronic as a quattro.

If you drive a front wheel drive car with any poke even 184ps you will get front wheel spin. If you don't you aren't driving. Just my view ;-)

Wheel spin is caused by torque, not by power, and healthy dose of stupidity of course...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5pot, JohnM100, veeeight and 2 others
If you drive a front wheel drive car with any poke even 184ps you will get front wheel spin. If you don't you aren't driving. Just my view ;-)

It is possible to get wheel spin, if that's how you drive. But equally it's possible with experience to be able to balance the throttle and clutch to be able to avoid it, even when driving quickly.

Last time I looked F1 cars had two wheel drive, massive power no traction control these days and weigh very little. Apparently they 'can' get wheel spin at one hundred and fifty plus but they don't, perhaps they're not driving then?

Last edited:
Agree with that Steeve. To drive quickly and smoothly pulling away on bad surfaces is way better with quattro. Also the ride quality and feel is so much better. The only cars I have compared like for like fwd and quattro have been Audis. A3 170, A5 2.0 and 3.0 and A7. The bigger the car the worst fwd felt by comparison with quattro. The A3 is ok but you have to drive very carefully and without enthusiasm with fwd. You will gather I am sold on quattro, about to get our 9th.

Agree with that Steeve. To drive quickly and smoothly pulling away on bad surfaces is way better with quattro. Also the ride quality and feel is so much better. The only cars I have compared like for like fwd and quattro have been Audis. A3 170, A5 2.0 and 3.0 and A7. The bigger the car the worst fwd felt by comparison with quattro. The A3 is ok but you have to drive very carefully and without enthusiasm with fwd. You will gather I am sold on quattro, about to get our 9th.

I disagree completely.................. how on earth does Quattro improve ride quality? There's no doubt if you want to get off the line quickly then for the unskilled it helps. It does have its benefits, but it doesn't mean only 4wd cars are any good.

I suggest you try a Focus RS or a quick Caterham but they needs a bit more skill than average.

I disagree completely.................. how on earth does Quattro improve ride quality?

... you have to realise that some people here believe that Quattro will allow them to drive on water, save the planet and it may even be able to cure illness! Yes Quattro is that good!

Reactions: Bushy1805 and cuke2u
Have driven Careham and Élan twin cam stage 2 . They are RWD.
In terms of ride quality with quattro you avoid the scrambling which IMHO gives a more planted and secure feel,

Sorry you disagree but having driven 200,000 miles with quattro I am convinced. Love RWD also and have a classic sports car with RWD .

Certainly isn't a walk on water feature, just pretty damned good.

Who told you that???? Salesman is an idiot. Or he thinks he can sway you into buying a Quattro.
I find traction no problem what so ever, I'm sure if I tried to leave every set of lights flat there might be a problem, but even with spirited driving I've not found any issues. What I have noticed is that the 184 doesn't seem to have as much low rev torque as some diesels, such as the BMW. It drives very similar to a petrol car in some respects.

All in all its a great car, but the only way is to try one your self.

Salesman indeed, I imagine he was more interested in his commission rather than what I actually want/need which is why I find drive the deal amazing.

Oddly enough I've checked the insurance today and there is no difference between the 150 & 184, however there is a big increase on the quattro.

When I get round to test driving I'll see if I can drive them both preferably!

Does anybody have any comments on the difference between the brilliant black and phantom black paints?

Edit: h5djr the light package does look appealing, I'll have to look into it further! I originally wanted the through load but even as one of the cheaper extras, I don't think I'd have any use for it, just a nice extra to have.

Agree with Pilot - I've had both FWD and 4WD high powered Golfs and I have a 2.0 litre MX5. I could drive the 4WD Golf much faster and more confidently than the FWD, AND it was a more composed ride. To go fast, the Mazda has to be driven more skillfully admittedly but even so, without the traction control switched on, I just couldn't drive it as fast as the 4WD Golf without the back end getting all wagly! Now it's horses for courses, but I like to drive 'enthusiastically' with all the power getting to the road, keeping the car secure and composed. Quattro every time...

Reactions: PilotAudi
Salesman indeed, I imagine he was more interested in his commission rather than what I actually want/need which is why I find drive the deal amazing.

Oddly enough I've checked the insurance today and there is no difference between the 150 & 184, however there is a big increase on the quattro.

When I get round to test driving I'll see if I can drive them both preferably!

Does anybody have any comments on the difference between the brilliant black and phantom black paints?

Edit: h5djr the light package does look appealing, I'll have to look into it further! I originally wanted the through load but even as one of the cheaper extras, I don't think I'd have any use for it, just a nice extra to have.

Interesting about the insurance because I've checked with my current insurance company and they will charge less for my new 8V 184 s-tronic quattro than I currently pay for my 170 FWD. Obviously the new car will be worth a lot more as well. Perhaps they think I am less likely to put a quattro into the ditch!!! Both are based on max NCD £50 excess. I've also been shopping around and I am currently with LV but John Lewis are working out even cheaper and also offer excess insurance.

Agree with Pilot - I've had both FWD and 4WD high powered Golfs and I have a 2.0 litre MX5. I could drive the 4WD Golf much faster and more confidently than the FWD, AND it was a more composed ride. To go fast, the Mazda has to be driven more skillfully admittedly but even so, without the traction control switched on, I just couldn't drive it as fast as the 4WD Golf without the back end getting all wagly! Now it's horses for courses, but I like to drive 'enthusiastically' with all the power getting to the road, keeping the car secure and composed. Quattro every time...

The two 184 s-tronic quattros I drove certainly felt much more 'planted' on the road in corners that my existing 170. I always thought the 170 was good until I drove the quattro.

Phantom is far easier to look after!

Glad to see Dave agreeing with my quattro views. ;-)

Interesting about the insurance because I've checked with my current insurance company and they will charge less for my new 8V 184 s-tronic quattro than I currently pay for my 170 FWD. Obviously the new car will be worth a lot more as well. Perhaps they think I am less likely to put a quattro into the ditch!!! Both are based on max NCD £50 excess. I've also been shopping around and I am currently with LV but John Lewis are working out even cheaper and also offer excess insurance.

LV are amazing, somebody crashed into my car last week and it's already in for repairs and the claim had gone through before the other party had accepted responsibility (they were with lv too, so they took responsibility for the driver). Unfortunately they won't insure me on a new audi.. They said it was due to my age so I may call them back and see what age I must be..

Phantom black is easier to maintain? How is this?

Interesting about the insurance because I've checked with my current insurance company and they will charge less for my new 8V 184 s-tronic quattro than I currently pay for my 170 FWD.
I think the Quattro is group 25 and the 184ps FWD is group 27? Is this the same for other Audi cars? Does this mean that Quattro is statistically safer?

Solid black requires a lot of effort to keep looking good. Phantom a highly lacquered pearlescent is a lot more forgiving and IMHO requires a lot less effort.

I think the Quattro is group 25 and the 184ps FWD is group 27? Is this the same for other Audi cars? Does this mean that Quattro is statistically safer?

I'd have said so, you're less likely to lose it in the snow or on a wet roundabout etc

I'd have said so, you're less likely to lose it in the snow or on a wet roundabout etc
This is a misconception - as has been discussed at length - on snow, Quattro has little effect on steering and braking. It does however provide lots of drive allowing the car to get to dangerous speeds, for the conditions, faster. However, the car won't stop any better with Quattro.

Yes but only statistically and risk is based on many factors .

Solid black requires a lot of effort to keep looking good. Phantom a highly lacquered pearlescent is a lot more forgiving and IMHO requires a lot less effort.

Thanks I'll definitely consider phantom in that case, the extra costs sure do add up though!

Has anybody here had experience with drive the deal? They're offering me a really great monthly price (in comparison to the dealership), the reviews online are amazing. Is it worth trying to haggle the price down or do they not budge because of their already incredible discounts?

Matt

Where are you based? It's worth doing some research on line DTD orange wheels etc. I ended up sticking with my local dealer who got very close to the best and better than most. Personally I have a good relationship with my local dealer which is worth a lot IMHO

I'm based in Worcester, I'll do some research online through orange wheels as well though.

The experience I had with my local dealer was okay but I think he was more interested in pushing me into buying one of the cars in their queue for delivery in March rather than actually finding out what I wanted. I made phone contact with Cheltenham (40 mins drive) a few times with enquiries without hearing anything back so obviously I was pretty annoyed about that and will probably avoid them.

My dealer knew I meant business when I told them prices I got from broker sites, he then came came very close to the price I was offered by a broker and I decided to place the order then. I've made changes since then and they've happily done it. I think it's best to find a dealer close to you who you can have a chat with face to face.
Tell them you want to speak to a different salesperson?

I put DTD's quotation (online) in front of the Audi main dealer salesman (Sytner Leicester) and he matched it. I got 8% discount.

Planning a test drive in upcoming weeks. However I'm currently in a whole new dilemma, aesthetically stuck between the a3 sline and the Mercedes a200 amg sport... May need to test drive them both.

I have driven both and whilst the merc is a very nice car, in my opinion the s-line is a far nicer place to be for all round quality and refinement.

Having said that would love the seats from the merc in the Audi.

There is just no comparison between the merc A and the a3.

Just try grabbing hold of a bit of dash in the merc and moving it around. Creaks like crazy. Try it in the a3. Silence.

It's the little things that really annoy me in the merc. Petty cost savings like the air vents. They look nice and look the same as a new SL but they are just cheap copies. Plasticy and horrible.

Audi seem to keep the quality there when they build smaller cars but other Marques just don't seem to bother