New Audi A3 - Paint Damaged by Valet

"body care package" i assume they are talking about the autoglym package they are going to put on the car , do your self a favour ,get your new car , check it over , make sure you are 100% happy before the dealer touches it.

Then RUN with it very fast !

The bodycare package is a load of rubbish, get a recommendation from the forum of a good detailer and treat your new pride and joy to a custom detail.

You should check this out , this was my phantom black mess before it was detailed by N8 ( Hi Nath )

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=80010

The write up and pictures speak for them selves.

It really bothers me that main manufacturer dealerships cannot properly detail a car! I'm sure like most people, before I started getting interested in detailing, I would have thought a main dealer was the best place to take your car to get the paint sorted! As it turns out, most know absolutely nothing about proper paint care and/or preparation and their paint care packages are usually hugely over-priced and poorly applied! Having spent some time researching detailing and having a brother that runs a detailing business, I know what great results can be achieved and how hard it is to get right. It's a shame main dealers don't take as much pride in their work as the quality detailers out there. Rant over. Sorry!

Xerohour - good on you mate for sticking to your guns and not just accepting it. I'm glad things have worked out for the best and really hope you end up with exactly what you want (and paid for!).

Dropped into Audi today to sign all the relivent paper work and have a quick scoot around the car to see if everything id asked for was present and correct. Walked into the compund to see me beautiful new Ibis Black Edition. The new toys are amazing!

Interior Light Pack: Really! classes up the interior from the footwell bathed in light to the handles glowing red with the cabin getting the same treatment! Worth every penny of the money audi gave me!

Bluetooth: Paired perfectly and operated exactly as it should with my iPhone 3GS (was slightly worried i may have issues) Voice control is really impressive!

Heated Seats: The controls arnt as slick as the system in the A4 but damn are the heaters effective! :laugh:

Folding Mirrors: Dont fold nearly as far in as i would have expected... Nuff said!

Light and Sensor Pack: I didnt really get to play with this stuff other than the cars headlight switched on instantly when the key went in the ignition and i noticed the controls on the rear view mirror.

Tire pressure sensors: No idea where this information is but i assume it was present and correct by the presence on the "Tire Pressure Set" button on the dash... No idea how this system works but im just glad it there.

Collecting the car on Tuesday Morning, hopefully the majority of snow/salt/grit should have dissapeared by then! Ive been given a new reg number and 12 months tax (suprised by that)... Im actually going to miss my Phantom Black BE as its run in beautifully and once the paint has been sorted im sure will be someone pride and joy one day. Cant help but be nostalgic about it!

Role on Tuesday!

Dropped into Audi today to sign all the relivent paper work and have a quick scoot around the car to see if everything id asked for was present and correct. Walked into the compund to see me beautiful new Ibis Black Edition. The new toys are amazing!

Interior Light Pack: Really! classes up the interior from the footwell bathed in light to the handles glowing red with the cabin getting the same treatment! Worth every penny of the money audi gave me!

Bluetooth: Paired perfectly and operated exactly as it should with my iPhone 3GS (was slightly worried i may have issues) Voice control is really impressive!

Heated Seats: The controls arnt as slick as the system in the A4 but damn are the heaters effective! :laugh:

Folding Mirrors: Dont fold nearly as far in as i would have expected... Nuff said!

Light and Sensor Pack: I didnt really get to play with this stuff other than the cars headlight switched on instantly when the key went in the ignition and i noticed the controls on the rear view mirror.

Tire pressure sensors: No idea where this information is but i assume it was present and correct by the presence on the "Tire Pressure Set" button on the dash... No idea how this system works but im just glad it there.

Collecting the car on Tuesday Morning, hopefully the majority of snow/salt/grit should have dissapeared by then! Ive been given a new reg number and 12 months tax (suprised by that)... Im actually going to miss my Phantom Black BE as its run in beautifully and once the paint has been sorted im sure will be someone pride and joy one day. Cant help but be nostalgic about it!

Role on Tuesday!

The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System fitted to the A3 uses the ABS sensors to detect differences in rotational speed of each wheel that results if a tyre has lost pressure. This is known as 'indirect' typre pressure monitoring - as opposed to the 'direct' method, which uses sensors in the tyre that actually measure the tyre pressurex and transmits them to the car's on-board computer.
I agree with you commet about the folding mirrors - I expected them to fold almost parallel with the door windows, rather than at a most obvious angle.

I noticed your thread whilst searching Audi A3 Paint Scratches/Swirls on Google. It appears I have the same problem as you on my 2010 Black A3! I have pictures that are identical to yours, but couldn't figure out how to add them on here!

Just wondered if you could offer me any names of people you spoke with etc… I have sent my first letter of complaint with pictures, but not holding out much hope.

Is this in the North West by an chance, and the work done by Car Cosmetics in Trafford Park on behalf of Audi? If so, Car Cosmetics are the biggest bunch of cowboys I have EVER EVER EVER used. How they have managed to get a contract with Audi is beyond me. I wouldnt even give them a wheel barrow to paint. A serious warning to all out there, AVOID CAR COSMETICS IN TRAFFORD PARK AT ALL COSTS.

Ok, Ill happily advise you the best i can!

Firstly prepare yourself for the longrun... This will not be a quick process but hopefully a rewarding one!

Your car should have no damage on it! Its as simple as that, and is a point you need to make clear as often as possible!

You bought your car on the premise of the one you saw in the showroom and thats what yours should be like. The law on new goods states that the good should be fit for sale and be in a condition that the buyer agreed to to complete the sale (In this case, Perfect) Unfortunantly the seller must be giveN the chance to correct the problem (Which "WILL" mean the car will have to have corrective work done on the paint) at this point the dealer should provide you with a car that is fit for sale (You should also be give a courtesy car during the period of repair as the process by LAW has to be of no inconveience to you! I STRESS THIS!). If after the work is done and the car is not up to standard you are in a much stronger position but we will take about that after.

Can you give me some information regarding your situation.

1# How quickly did you notice the damage and how quickly did you inform the dealership? (This is the most important factor!)
2# How much of the car is showing damage?
3# What have you said to the dealer/and what is your relationship like?
4# Where are you located (Just the area, not the sealership name at this moment as it could comprimise your out come)

Last thing, dont worry! I worried myself half to death during the process and it did neither my health or my family any good! You WILL get a resolution that you are happy with!

Sorry for the late response.

You weren’t joking when you said “prepare for the long haul”!!

1) I noticed the marks after 2 weeks after the car was washed, but marks under the door handles appeared within a matter of days. These are simply mars from my fingers where I have opened the door, (don’t have false nails or wear rings).

2) The swirls are all over the car, and marks under all the door handles, even the rear handles which had hardly been used.

3) So far, I have spoken with the car dealer, who took the car in, and advised me it’s because I washed it, and the paint is water based paint is soft, yet could not answer why the car had marks simply from my fingers where I had opened the door. When I asked him, if the paint is so soft, how am I supposed to wash my car and open the doors without damaging it, and why if this is the case do Audi not provide a better/harder lacquer, he could/would not answer!!! He applied Auto Glym Life Shine, but the problem still there. I was told at this point that he could do no more, so have taken it to Audi UK. Audi UK have seen pictures of my car, and it’s been back to the dealership to measure the thickness of the paint, which they have said is all fine. So at the moment, I am waiting on their official response, which If I am not happy with, I have been told it’s up to me to pay for an independent assessor to take the case further!

Will update when I actually get a response from them!

I can't work out how to add pictures???

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

this is why you never trust dealers with paint.

AudiA3007.jpg
[/IMG]
Side body panel

AudiA3001.jpg
[/IMG]
Under the door handle

Firstly Audi paint work is well known for being HARD, not soft. I have spent many hours detailing cars with vag paint and it takes noticably longer to correct with a machine polisher then many other manufacturers. The damage to the paint in one of the worse I have seen in a long time. The swirl marks are normally caused by bad washing techniques, but that looks like someone has gone at it with a sponge full of grit. The door handle is the one that is puzzling me. Your fingers alone should not mark the paint. Most damage to that area is caused by rings/false nails and the keys themselves as lots of people unlock the car remotely and then hold them in the same hand as the one opening the door causing them to scratch the paintwork.
My best avice would be to get a professional car detailer in your area to have a look at it. I would say all the damage is repairable if it is only as bad as it looks in the pics. The point is though that the top coat should not be that soft. Is it a brand new car? If so reject it as the paint issues will cause you nothing but problems for the rest of the time you own it. If its not new then get Audi to pay for a third party professional detailer that you choose to do a full machine correction. It is not cheap to be done, but the car will look brand new when it is finished. Dont let them take it to the Audi body shop to be polished as it will probably come back looking worse then when it went in.

Just had another thought as to why you may have only just noticed the marks once you washed it. When the car is valeted before delivery the valeters can use polishes that have 'fillers' in them. These are great for filling swirls marks and other small light blemishes so they are less noticable. They dont get rid of them but literally mask them. Depending on what shampoo you used you may of washed some of the fillers away making them alot more noticable. Worth a thought.