New Audi A3 Convertible

Matt

Reaction score
A new addition to the A3 range, the Audi A3 Cabriolet, has been unveiled today at the Audi factory
in Györ, Hungary.

This exciting new A3 variant builds on the outstanding success of its siblings and will attract a new
customer base by offering a compact premium Cabriolet with great functionality and versatility to
complement the stunning design of the car.

Vehicle Details
The A3 Cabriolet continues Audi’s strategy of having an electrically folding fabric roof on all its
convertibles. The roof on the A3 Cabriolet features an innovative Z-fold mechanism resulting in no
intrusion in to the car’s already excellent boot space when folded. Due to this innovative system the
roof needs no tonneau or cover when folded shut. Furthermore the roof can be opened in just 9
seconds, making it by far the fastest opening roof in the segment.

Exterior Features
The exterior design of the car is also subtly different from the A3 3 door and Sportback. The rear
features a new light cluster creating a perception of increased width, and unique ‘light strips’
providing the car with plenty of individualism. The front of the car features a modified headlight
design (with optional Xenon headlights including LED daytime running lights) and a stronger
integration of the trademark Audi single-frame front grille.

a31.jpg

a32.jpg

Interior Features
The interior of the A3 Cabriolet enhances Audi’s reputation for building world-class interiors and
accentuates the premium and sporty character of the car. The Cabriolet’s interior features subtle
yet stylish enhancements over the existing A3 range. Rear seat space is excellent due to the design
of the roof, and the car offers a highly competitive level of legroom.

Another unique selling point (USP) of the car is the wide through-load system. With the seats folded
flat, and the through-load system in use, the luggage space of the car is increased to 674 litres,
and the load length is increased by 150 centimetres. With the roof down the A3 Cabriolet has a
boot space of 252 litres, making it the largest in the segment.

a33.jpg

a34.jpg

Engines and Transmission
At launch the A3 Cabriolet will be available with a choice of 4 engines, 2 petrol and 2 diesel:

• 1.8 TFSI 160PS
• 2.0 TFSI 200PS
• 1.9 TDI 105PS
• 2.0 TDI 140PS

The 2.0 TDI 140PS is a member of the new generation of common-rail diesel engines that feature
greater efficiency and responsiveness, as well as significantly improved acoustic characteristics.

Each of the above engines, with the exception of the 1.9 TDI, is available with the option of a 6-
speed manual transmission or the acclaimed 6-speed semi-automatic S tronic gearbox. The 1.9 TDI
is only available with a 5-speed manual gearbox.
Technical Information for the above engines will be published at a later date.

Options and Specification
Initially the A3 Cabriolet will be available in two trim levels: Standard and Sport. Please see below
some key items of specification. Full specification will be published at a later date:
A3 Cabriolet Standard:

• Fully Automatic Electric Roof with manual locking mechanism.
• 16” Alloy Wheels – New Design
• Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
• 4-spoke Leather Steering Wheel
• Manual Air-Conditioning
A3 Cabriolet Sport
• Fully Automatic Acoustic Electric Roof with electric locking mechanism.
• 17” Alloy Wheels – New Design
• 3-spoke Leather Sports Steering Wheel
• Wind Deflector
• Driver’s Information System
• Dual-zone Electronic Climate Control
• Aluminium, Medial Silver Inlays

a35.jpg

a36.jpg

why would they build a new a3 cab on the exisiting platform? I thought it was due to be replaced in the next couple of years?

Or is it just a soft top version of the VW EOS?

J.

That just looks so like an EOS it's scary.
And I thought Audi wanted to distance themselves from VW.

IMHO it's better than the EOS - it's much shorter as it doesn't need to store a leaking folding metal roof!

why would they build a new a3 cab on the exisiting platform? I thought it was due to be replaced in the next couple of years?

VAG group quite often keep their cabriolets on the older platform for a while after a model change so that may well be Audi's stratergy with this one. It can then be made a plant set up to use the old rather than the new platform.

To me it looks like the existing A3/Sportback with a soft top!

if they facelift the current model with those front and rear lights and new front end next year I think it will sell well..

"VAG group quite often keep their cabriolets on the older platform"

Correct. Despite the new A4 the old A4 cabriolet will continue until the A5 cabriolet replaces it.

That looks awful IMHO. Far too close to the EOS. Which also looks awful!

The EOS looks awful. No question, it's just got a big ****.
The A3 convertible looks great, nice and tidy. Why say you don't like it when it just looks like the A3 you own minus the top??

that last picture of the rear reminds me of a squashed Aston Martin. anyone else see it? Not sure I like it all that much though.

Interesting to now see that the glove-box is lockable on the cabriolet, a strange omission on the current A3/S3 given the ability to have an ipod stored in there...

am I the only one who doesn't think it looks too bad?

Put it in a different colour and trim combination and I think it'll look very nice.

Admittedly, its a bit of a birds car, like the golf cab and EOS though... but it certainly solves the problem of women whinging about the size of the A4 cab.

madvw said:
am I the only one who doesn't think it looks too bad?

Put it in a different colour and trim combination and I think it'll look very nice.

Admittedly, its a bit of a birds car, like the golf cab and EOS though... but it certainly solves the problem of women whinging about the size of the A4 cab.

Yeah I quite like it. Although I wouldn't have one as it's a girls car (or hairdressers but same difference). My missus doesn't like it though lol.

Looks like all new audis are going to come with LED DRLs. Shame the S3 doesn't have them though.

Top down it looks good but with the roof up, looks quite bad =/

I like it with the roof down but looks pants with it up. Seems to be a love it or hate it car from the comments.

I like it - have deposit placed and initial spec decided - waiting for confirmation of full option availability and prices. Be a good car IMO, new 2l TDi should be pretty decent. Audi UK are telling me order will not be 'placable' until Q1 08 which is a shame, but should be here in tme for summer, not sure if that makes much difference based on this year tho!!

Think it is OK...wouldn't have in it my garage though!

What I would like is those headlights...:idea: I wonder if they'll fit my 8P - hmmm they look slightly bigger (perhaps they will fit the later model with SFG)