1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Audi. A bit disappointed?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rich1068, Aug 2, 2006.

?

The whole Audi owning experience. I'm...

1. ...ecstatic. My life is complete.

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. ...a bit let down. I was expecting better.

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. ...hating it. Waste of money.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. rich1068

rich1068 Member

[Aug 2, 2006]
    I've had my A3 since June 6th and I've clocked up nearly 3K miles but to be honest guys I'm a little underwhelmed with the build quality. Everything seems as solid as a rock and you can't argue with the design or quality of the materials used (sort of VW before they lost it :lick: ) but everything is just a little well... noisy, for want of a better word. At the moment I'm experiencing squeaky door seals, one day it's fine the next they make themselves known. Open the door and shut it again and the noise has gone. If you let the drivers window do it's own thing and go right up to the top I get a slight knock, pull on the switch again and it's gone. I also got a noise from the rear seat that was solved by ever so slightly pulling up the head rest. Sometimes I have to just touch the handbrake to stop it buzzing. You get the idea.

Now none of these are the sort of complaints that would have me banging on the dealers door first thing in the morning or firing off letters to Audi Customer Services but they are irritating and take the shine off owning a £24k car. The other thing you won't want to hear is that I never had anything remotely like this with my Octavia RS. Cheaper materials, harder plastics, made on a budget by East Europeans and no complaints in three and a half years.

The thing that concerns me I suppose is that Audi is going the way of VW. In a former life I had a very problematic Golf MKIV and on one of my many visits to the dealer I was told by the head of after sales that VW were making and selling more and more cars and that something had to give, in his opinion it was build quality. Is this happening with Audi too in their pursuit of for example, BMW? I chose Audi over VW, in fact as I saw it I leap frogged VW. As far as I'm concerned I can't see the point in VW, why buy one when you can by a Skoda? I was able to stretch to an Audi and expected the whole experience to be one of unbridled joy and general smugness but it just leaves me a bit........... disappointed.

So on to the purpose of the poll and thanks for staying with me this far. What is your overall experience of your new car? I know that most people who respond to questions like this will be those who have had problems but I'd really like to get a vote from those who are ecstatic about the whole thing too. Also I'm saying new cars (eg last couple of years) because everyone knows that older VAG offerings were made out of iron girders and Kryptonite :biggrin:

<Edit> I've put this in General because I'd like to hear from everyone, not just A3 8P owners </Edit>
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. unkle

unkle Beer God

[Aug 2, 2006]
    Can only speak from my perspective, had two brand new Audi A3's in the last two years, never had so much as a sniff of a problem with either, only concern with build quality was some bobbling of the seats material but probably my fault....
  4. Just Plain Old

Just Plain Old Active Member

[Aug 2, 2006]
    I think you need a middle of the road option,,, something like, 'it's about what I was expecting'??

Actually I like my current S4 a bit more than that!:smile:
  5. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Aug 3, 2006]
    My A4 was pretty much faultless,but dull.
    My A3 is a pile of more-expensive-than-my-A4 garbage,and still dull.
    I won't be going anywhere near an Audi garage when I renew.
    Next.
  6. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Aug 3, 2006]
    My new A4 is spot on... I can't fault it or Harrogate Audi at all. I did notice when I test drove the A4 2.0TFSI and the A3 2.0TFSI back to back that the A3 felt lesser quality of the two.
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 3, 2006]
    I think it is inevitable that these sorts of problems will start to creep into all of the more expensive makes of car. We've seen it for a while with Mercs and BM's, Audi would be naturally next.
    New car sales have seen a massive drop in the last few years, primarily because of most people opting out of company car schemes, seeing the light and buying secondhand. You can't maintain a hugely expensive infrastructure without the bulk fleet sales and rather than put new car prices up you have to cut corners. This is a trend rampant in pretty much all industries albeit for different reasons. It's just quite bizarre that on this forum we're seeing more problems with brand new cars than with older models and it's not just the impact of the bathtub relability graph i.e. generally a product will be most unreliable either when its brand new or when it's very old.
    Bowfer what alternatives will you be looking at when you renew as MB and BM won't be any better than Audi and then there's only Lexus for a prestige brand for sensible money?
  8. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[Aug 3, 2006]
    Yeah, you definately need an "average" option - I did 32,000 in mine in 10 months and while it had a few problems, overall (considering that the mileage is nearly 3 years worth if using average miles) it wasn't too bad.

The biggest problem I think is the dealers and their attitude. If you find one you get on with and you look after them, they will generally look after you though.