New alloys wheels

Kully14

Reaction score
2012 A5 Cab has the 19 inch Sline wheels however thinking about upgrading. Looking to go for a set of black 20 inch as the car is white. Tyre size is either 255/35/20 or 265/30/20.. I don't want to sacrifice the ride comfort for look so any advise is appricate as not sure. Also these wheels will be from dealers your local alloy shop. Looking at the VITA DTM however never purchase wheels from the aftermarket so not sure if it's a good investment.

Any advise / thoughts will be aapicated

You want 265/30/20. Also need to check the other specs of the wheel to ensure it will fit. Important one is the offset.

I stick to OEM alloys personally, but if I went aftermarket it would only be the well known brands.

On paper they will fit etc however looks are not everything as too me comfort / ride is key. Looking at RIVA DTM wheels

Your issue is keeping the overall wheel diameter the same. A 255/35 will have a substantially larger tyre wall, so that with the increased rim size will mean a larger diameter, which will knock out your speedo and odometer, and potentially have adverse effect on ABS and gearbox. Every inch in rim size you increase, you need to decrease the tyre profile by 5%. Afraid bigger wheels will result in less comfort for this reason. To be fair I never notice much of a difference...

There is also insurance to consider as they will require you to have OEM spec tyres.

Car already has 255/35/19 Wheels and debating either to go for 255/35/20 or 265/30/20 but want the comfort so not sure. Anybadvuse is appricate as it's not about the money but ride is crucial and then look

Need to contact the insurance company however I know I will have to pay more

Yes but the increase in wheel size will result in a difference of 3.7%. Most will say don't exceed 2%. Going down 5% in the tyre profile 30 vs 35) will compensate for this. The additional width (255 vs 260) will provide a bit more tyre to help with comfort.

If comfort is your priority then you want to go for smaller wheels not larger...

Insurance will require you to have the OEM spec tyres for load rating and speed rating.