1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new a6 owner close to tears!!

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by fastredz, Jun 2, 2004.

1. fastredz

fastredz New Member

[Jun 2, 2004]
    hi guys

im new to the audi net forum you will usually find me on 300zx.co.uk forum hence the user name fastredz,

ok then down to buisness i bought a audi a6 1.8t 98r last week and the rev counter or the spedo dont work at all, im sure the previous owner mensioned a faulty relay?? where are these relays??

he also mentioned that he earthe the instrument cluster somwhere and now when i remove the key the instruments light up and the tem gauge goes right round to max,

but when i turn key on the whole dash goes off again!!

i dont have the driver info system on it

the imobiliser light works

and some other lights works as well millage doesont work or the trip meter

how could i check to see if i can find the fault
    could it realy be a relay or have i bought a lemon DOH!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

any help much appreceated

dewi
    north wales
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. Jims5543

Jims5543 New Member

[Jun 2, 2004]
    I dont know if this helps but it seems from my experiance with my A-6 that a LOT of electronic systemsn in the A-6 are inter-related. Our Power seat shorted out, disabling the power windows and the interior lights, as well as making the dash go haywire.

A simple malfunction in these cars seems to throw the entire car into a spin.
  4. sundeck

sundeck New Member

[Jun 2, 2004]
    How did you resolve this problem? as I have something similar
  5. fastredz

fastredz New Member

[Jun 14, 2004]
    well the tears have finally stopped a new instrument panel was fitted and it all works fine now!!

got a brand new set for £75 bargain audi wanted £450 + vat + fitting ffs
  6. jgrand

jgrand Member

[Jun 16, 2004]
    Did you just remove the original cluster and replace it with the new one? I heard that Audi needed to do something to code the new cluster to the car otherwise it wouldn't start (I'm asking as I might be doing something similar to my S3 soon).
  7. fastredz

fastredz New Member

[Jul 17, 2004]
    car going into garage to have it done next weekend will let you know how i got on,

and yes i think the imobiliser has something to do with the replacement clocks as my car wont start with the new clocks till the mechanic reprograms the new clocks for me