New A3 Sportback Black Edition purchase advice

And that told me then!
Driving a sport with dynamic on 18" rims at weekend so I'll gain my own perspective on this and choose accordingly.

Anybody on here have a prospective on the s tronic reliability and longevity?

Long lead time on factory order only just been accepted after 2 weeks and no build date yet. Been quoted upto 16weeks by dealer.

S-Tronic reliability and longevity, there are more than likely more S-Tronics on the road than manuals which must mean something. Looked after they should go on and on, I had a DSG R32 before and had 9 years trouble free motoring in it, no gearbox issues at all.

Man alive you take procrastination to a new level !!

Just teasing, the DSG / S Tronic technology has been around for at least 10 years now so reliability shouldn't be an issue. You do read of odd faults here and there but they are in the minority.

16 week delivery puts you into MY19 (Mid may onwards) so you may pick up some extra options as standard.

Man alive you take procrastination to a new level !!

Just teasing, the DSG / S Tronic technology has been around for at least 10 years now so reliability shouldn't be an issue. You do read of odd faults here and there but they are in the minority.

16 week delivery puts you into MY19 (Mid may onwards) so you may pick up some extra options as standard.

What extras would you get for the car being a MY19?

My Saloon Black Edition is due for April delivery (assuming nothing gets delayed) but i'm curious as to what you think maybe added as extra due to the MY19 model.

My Saloon Black Edition is due for April delivery (assuming nothing gets delayed) but i'm curious as to what you think maybe added as extra due to the MY19 model.
You won't get more optional extras on the My19 cars but some will come in at a slightly lower price ie the technology package

Reactions: Goner
I have an estimated build date of 2/04 so not sure if that will lead to any extra options. I know if you order the tech pack its taken into account where the minimum future value of the vehicle is concerned PCP wise, adds £500 to the value of the vehicle after 3 years. The pack is £1300.

Assuming your car is delivered in April it will be MY18. Cars built from around the 3rd week of May will be MY19

Last year, when MY18 started rear parking sensors became standard equipment rather than an option, there was a couple of other minor changes, I forget what. Audi put their prices up on the 1st April every year but the changes in spec normally have a higher cost than the price increase making the car slightly better value. All manufacturers increase the standard equipment on cars as the model life ages to help maintain sales.

MY19 changes will be announced in a few weeks. They also use the new MY to launch new / withdraw colour choices and other options

Last year anyone who ordered the 1.4COD automatically got the 1.5COD if their car was built from May onwards

Reactions: Goner

You may get Hill Hold Assist as this standard from now on - I think it depends on when the order was confirmed

You may get Hill Hold Assist as this standard from now on - I think it depends on when the order was confirmed

I've already got that on my saloon, it comes part of the comfort and sound pack.

I'm not expecting any extras to come that i haven't specified on the order, i was just curious regarding model year change overs / additions to spec etc.

I've already got that on my saloon, it comes part of the comfort and sound pack.

I'm not expecting any extras to come that i haven't specified on the order, i was just curious regarding model year change overs / additions to spec etc.

Yep I've just seen that you have the comfort pack (I've added this to mine as well) - Should have paid more attention

The comfort pack says it comes with Hill hold assist but this now comes standard so do you get something else instead. Is it worth getting dealer to put my order back to get a May build to see if they give any other options and perhaps virtual cockpit for £450 instead of having to order with the tech pack, as all other VAG models offer their version of it for around this price only Audi don't.

I wonder if there is a support helpline for Gazza's dealer to call?
Think he's already called it.

Does make you wander though why Audi introduce VC & it's still only available with a tech pack yet VAG let VW, Seat and Skoda sell it to their customers separately for £400 but not to Audi customers unless they pay £1395 to get it. But then again they also charge Audi customers at least £500 more to get te 1.5 evo engine, am I missing something here or are we paying £500 more for the plastic engine cover with the 4 rings on it?

Last edited:
The comfort pack says it comes with Hill hold assist but this now comes standard so do you get something else instead. Is it worth getting dealer to put my order back to get a May build to see if they give any other options and perhaps virtual cockpit for £450 instead of having to order with the tech pack, as all other VAG models offer their version of it for around this price only Audi don't.

You also get heated seats which the S3 has standard as well!!

Think he's already called it.

Does make you wander though why Audi introduce VC & it's still only available with a tech pack yet VAG let VW, Seat and Skoda sell it to their customers separately for £400 but not to Audi customers unless they pay £1395 to get it. But then again they also charge Audi customers at least £500 more to get te 1.5 evo engine, am I missing something here or are we paying £500 more for the plastic engine cover with the 4 rings on it?

And we now get S Emblem on the Seats, Sills and Steering Wheel as per the S-Line rather than S3 - Don't remember seeing a reduction for that but must be saving them thousands as they can use all the same stuff for the S-Lines and S3's

I missing something here or are we paying £500 more for the plastic engine cover with the 4 rings on it?

Nope, you're spot on. You're paying for Audi badge and the perceived higher quality of the car. Having owned numerous Golfs and now an A3 there is little difference in the cabin quality that I can see. You'd also expect the Audi customer service to be that little better than VW, in my experience its utter d0g sh1t, VW were always far better.

Don't expect the VC to come any cheaper in May, its still relatively new tech and Audi will milk that cash cow for as long as possible. I'd let your order go through as normal, nothing is guaranteed. In May the spec may not change so you'll have waited for nothing. In a few weeks the MY19 changes will be advertised so you can make an informed decision on whether to delay or not.

Nope, you're spot on. You're paying for Audi badge and the perceived higher quality of the car. Having owned numerous Golfs and now an A3 there is little difference in the cabin quality that I can see. You'd also expect the Audi customer service to be that little better than VW, in my experience its utter d0g sh1t, VW were always far better.

Don't expect the VC to come any cheaper in May, its still relatively new tech and Audi will milk that cash cow for as long as possible. I'd let your order go through as normal, nothing is guaranteed. In May the spec may not change so you'll have waited for nothing. In a few weeks the MY19 changes will be advertised so you can make an informed decision on whether to delay or not.
From my experience of VW customer service over the last 2 and half years, Audi would really have to go some to be any worse!

From my experience of VW customer service over the last 2 and half years, Audi would really have to go some to be any worse!
I'm sure can hear some horror stories with both.. well, any car manufacturer really. I don't understand how it took 4 months for Audi and Audi UK to determine that I needed to use my phones bluetooth for Audi Connect to work properly.

On the plus side, somehow it got up to the executive team in Audi UK and I've gotten a free service out of it for the time wasted (2 trips to Audi etc etc...)

The lady assigned to the case I can not speak highly off, would never call me when promised etc, however the gentleman from the executive office has been great. Called when promised, understands my concerns and has admitted where Audi can improve and so on.

It has been my only experience to comment on really.

I'm sure can hear some horror stories with both.. well, any car manufacturer really. I don't understand how it took 4 months for Audi and Audi UK to determine that I needed to use my phones bluetooth for Audi Connect to work properly.

On the plus side, somehow it got up to the executive team in Audi UK and I've gotten a free service out of it for the time wasted (2 trips to Audi etc etc...)

The lady assigned to the case I can not speak highly off, would never call me when promised etc, however the gentleman from the executive office has been great. Called when promised, understands my concerns and has admitted where Audi can improve and so on.

My biggest problem with VW was to do with my Car-Net account, so very similar type of problem. Within VW UK Customer Service there was only one person who really had any understanding of the Car-Net system so if he was off sick or on holiday you were stuffed. Even he had to keep referring things to Germany and that often took weeks to get a response. I think maybe the tech in modern vehicles is several steps ahead of Customer Services ability to understand it.

I also asked a my dealer a question early on about an option (My POI alert) that was on my Nav system option screen but not in the manual. After weeks and weeks, and allegedly talking to all of "the experts" he finally came back with an answer that was total and utter b*ll*cks. As it happened I had found the answer on the forums by then so I knew for sure he was wrong. If he'd said "we just don't know" I could have forgiven them, but to have no clue and to just make something up, is unacceptable.

First MPG, ignore the official figures you'll never get them. I get mid 40 to mid 50 MPG depending on the length of the trip. My long term average is about 44. You'll find the 1.5 thirsty on short trips, cold weather also hits the MPG.

I have the VC, using the NAV a fair bit its handy to get the map in between the dials. Its nice to have the latest tech but not essential. In the end options are a personal thing, you're paying so only you can justify the spend. VC will help with the future value of the car.

There's conflicting stories about repairs when handing back at the end of PCP. Some people seem to have handed cars back with scuffed wheels and scratches and not paid. My personal experience is they inspect every inch of the car and charge to repair. A minor dink, the size of a match head cost me £40.

Colour, again your call but grey / silver are more forgiving than black and white.

What you get at the end of a PCP is a real lottery. I did VT with my last PCP on a golf GTD as the value had gone through the floor due to diesel gate and good deals on new ones. As soon as it 50% of finance amount paid I got rid, there was no point throwing good money after bad. PCP is also effected by yhe amount of deposit you pay and the length. One way to avoid uncertainty is go for a personal lease, at the end of the deal you give the car back no questions asked but you dont get an option to buy the car at the end. You are effectively renting the car, paying monthly money never to be seen again.

You need to work out which costs less. 36 rental payments or depreciation over 36 months, its a bit more complex than that but you get my point.

For me PCH worked out better as I run mine through my company.

Massive off the face LOL at thirst with 44MPG - my RS3 currently has an average MPG of 22 after a week... which doesn’t sound that bad except for driving around town I’m looking at 13MPG.

I had a problem with the passenger seat bolster. After initially accepting the fault my salesperson at Bolton Audi promised to respond with the process to get it corrected. Hearing nothing I tried phoning and emailing them 4 times. My last attempt was to the franchise manager who apologized for the shocking service and promised to have someone contact me within 24 hours. Nothing, so I gave up with Bolton Audi

I tried my next closest dealer (Stockport Audi) who looked at the seat, gave me a date 4 weeks in the future to get the job done. Fast forward 4 weeks, I battled through the rush hour traffic to get to the dealer at the appointment time only to be told that the seat was on back order, and they would have to get the warranty work approved (sorry didn't that happen already?). A further 3 weeks later the seat was finally replaced. About the same time, I gave Bolton Audi an honest review on Facebook, keeping to facts and not slinging mud. This prompted the Bolton service manager to call me to try and resolve the situation. I told him it was too late and I was unlikely to set foot in Bolton Audi ever again.

And the best bit - during the conversation the Bolton service manager asked me would I perhaps delete my honest review on Facebook ?? Sorry mate, it stays put as the fact remains I had to use another dealer to correct the fault because you couldn't be bothered.

Massive off the face LOL at thirst with 44MPG - my RS3 currently has an average MPG of 22 after a week... which doesn’t sound that bad except for driving around town I’m looking at 13MPG.

I guess the term "thirst" is relative ! At 13 MPG you'll soon be on first name terms with the staff at your fuel stop. Who is it by the way as I may go and buy some shares :salute:

Reactions: oli356

That for you tooooooooo Post on the RS3 Section of this forum mate......ye ken the TOO MUCH POWER SECTION........of this fine Forum

I had a problem with the passenger seat bolster. After initially accepting the fault my salesperson at Bolton Audi promised to respond with the process to get it corrected. Hearing nothing I tried phoning and emailing them 4 times. My last attempt was to the franchise manager who apologized for the shocking service and promised to have someone contact me within 24 hours. Nothing, so I gave up with Bolton Audi

I tried my next closest dealer (Stockport Audi) who looked at the seat, gave me a date 4 weeks in the future to get the job done. Fast forward 4 weeks, I battled through the rush hour traffic to get to the dealer at the appointment time only to be told that the seat was on back order, and they would have to get the warranty work approved (sorry didn't that happen already?). A further 3 weeks later the seat was finally replaced. About the same time, I gave Bolton Audi an honest review on Facebook, keeping to facts and not slinging mud. This prompted the Bolton service manager to call me to try and resolve the situation. I told him it was too late and I was unlikely to set foot in Bolton Audi ever again.

And the best bit - during the conversation the Bolton service manager asked me would I perhaps delete my honest review on Facebook ?? Sorry mate, it stays put as the fact remains I had to use another dealer to correct the fault because you couldn't be bothered.

**** selling a car to you mate..............A ****** would'nt get to sleep at night........lol

My biggest problem with VW was to do with my Car-Net account, so very similar type of problem. Within VW UK Customer Service there was only one person who really had any understanding of the Car-Net system so if he was off sick or on holiday you were stuffed. Even he had to keep referring things to Germany and that often took weeks to get a response. I think maybe the tech in modern vehicles is several steps ahead of Customer Services ability to understand it.

I also asked a my dealer a question early on about an option (My POI alert) that was on my Nav system option screen but not in the manual. After weeks and weeks, and allegedly talking to all of "the experts" he finally came back with an answer that was total and utter b*ll*cks. As it happened I had found the answer on the forums by then so I knew for sure he was wrong. If he'd said "we just don't know" I could have forgiven them, but to have no clue and to just make something up, is unacceptable.[/QUOIf

So if Audi are so bad why do people on here keep going back to them for another car.This is my first A3 Sportback and you've got me wandering if I am making the right choice, coming fromToyota previously. I've also,seen some of the Audi dealer customer reviews on the web and they look terrible where customer service and after car is concerned. I'm planning to keep my car over 3 years so,is the A3 petrol 1.5 a stable and reliable product now in manual, given I don't want to end up going to my local dealers in the midlands given their poor reviews other than for a service

****** hell Gazza, you do like to worry don't you!! That must be the fourth time you've wondered if you have made the right choice for various different reasons: suspension/tyre noise/gearbox/dealers. Are you overstretching financially to be so worried about it?

My complaint that you quoted above was about VW not Audi BTW.

Last edited:
Finance has nothing to do with it I can pay cash, I just don't wish to waste money on Audi perceived quality and reliability coupled with poor customer service which a few people on this forum have mentioned if it's all smoke and mirrors. Times too short for going back to the dealer with faults and quality issues some of which shouldn't be cropping up in this price bracket. once you purchase new you lose a lot if you are forced to change in 12 months because the cars crap and I for one don't believe in throwing money away.

People are more likely to moan about things on the forum and unless there is a manufacturer with perfect customer service and no quality control issues and 100% reliability.. Then well yeah, what can you do about it.

^^ if that exists, let us know.

Reactions: Chris43
Finance has nothing to do with it I can pay cash, I just don't wish to waste money on Audi perceived quality and reliability coupled with poor customer service which a few people on this forum have mentioned if it's all smoke and mirrors. Times too short for going back to the dealer with faults and quality issues some of which shouldn't be cropping up in this price bracket. once you purchase new you lose a lot if you are forced to change in 12 months because the cars **** and I for one don't believe in throwing money away.
In a way any Audi perceived quality and reliability is a bit smoke and mirrors. It's a good brand but I've not found it light years ahead of say VW in those terms. The reason I'm getting another Audi is just that I fancy a change, but I'm not expecting it to be a massive leap in quality from my Golf. Going into the purchase on those terms, I'm sure I'll be happy with it, but if you are expecting it to be a quantum leap up from other brands you might be disappointed. I'm also not sure that generally spending more on cars gets you more reliability, just more kit and maybe better materials and styling. The fact that Skoda regularly has the best customer satisfaction ratings of the VAG group backs that up.

Reactions: PhillW
As above Audi is a good brand. This is my first Audi and other than the problems with the seat the car has been great. I chose the A3 this time as the facelift golf looks ****** awful. Would I have another? If you'd ask me a few months ago it would havd been no, I was disappointed with the dealer service, as me today... possibly.

Every one likes to moan on forums and for every horror story there will just as many examples of dealers going the extra mile, people don't tend to sing praises, which I guess is a shame.

Anything mass produced will have a percentage of defects. You may have 3 years of trouble free motoring, you may have a few problems along the way but this applies to all car makers, Audi isn't exclusive enough for the rule not to apply.

In the end your money, your decision.

In a way any Audi perceived quality and reliability is a bit smoke and mirrors. It's a good brand but I've not found it light years ahead of say VW in those terms. The reason I'm getting another Audi is just that I fancy a change, but I'm not expecting it to be a massive leap in quality from my Golf. Going into the purchase on those terms, I'm sure I'll be happy with it, but if you are expecting it to be a quantum leap up from other brands you might be disappointed. I'm also not sure that generally spending more on cars gets you more reliability, just more kit and maybe better materials and styling. The fact that Skoda regularly has the best customer satisfaction ratings of the VAG group backs that up.
Well decided to cancel the order based on the lack of refinement where the cabin road noise is concerned. This really lets the A3 down on 18" rims and sport suspension and something both the Mercedes a class and BMW 1 doesn't suffer from on the same rim size and suspension. Not spending £500 on good year F1's just to see if this improves things either. So walked away from a £5600 discount on a £30635 A3 so it's a poor reflection on the poor sound proofing Audi have put into the A3. Hopefully the new 2019 model will be better but don't think I can wait so will see what the new Mercedes A class has to offer and new BMW 1 series.

Well decided to cancel the order based on the lack of refinement where the cabin road noise is concerned. This really lets the A3 down on 18" rims and sport suspension and something both the Mercedes a class and BMW 1 doesn't suffer from on the same rim size and suspension. Not spending £500 on good year F1's just to see if this improves things either. So walked away from a £5600 discount on a £30635 A3 so it's a poor reflection on the poor sound proofing Audi have put into the A3. Hopefully the new 2019 model will be better but don't think I can wait so will see what the new Mercedes A class has to offer and new BMW 1 series.

I'm not surprised. It seems like you have been looking for a reason to cancel the order since you placed it. I have test driven a lot of cars recently including the 1 series, and I cannot say there was any great difference in road or cabin noise to the A3. In fact if anything I would say the A3 was quieter and more refined, but you have obviously found differently and it's your choice. I don't believe that makes it a "poor reflection on Audi" though.

Reactions: Reggieboy71 and oli356
I think it all comes down to what you are comfortable with and willing to accept. I drove a few A3's back to back with different tyres just after test driving th BMW 1 M sport shadow edition and can say it was much quieter on the road on the same route as was the Mercedes A class. There are alot of stone dressed roads where I live so road noise intrusion from the tyres into the cabin is important where I am concerned. It's a shame as the A3'is a refined car in every other sense of the word but cabin tyre road noise lets it down and Audi need to get these basics right before wowing us with the tech especially on the British roads. The dealer said he has a lot of complaint about the Q2 regarding road noise from customers and some have remarked also about the A3 on the larger wheels. If you have an S3 etc I think you can forgive the road noise from the tyres as you have a performance hatchback but on anything else lower in the range which essentially is a 5 door family hatch back with a sporty look then it shouldn't be so harsh.

Last edited:
ride comfort and noise is also important to me but fortunately I have the sport with the standard 17" alloys - on that model I have always been impressed with ride comfort and lack of noise but I appreciate it is a different set up