1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New A3, SE seats (with full leather) or Sport seats (cloth) - what would you choose?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Jerodequin, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Jerodequin

Jerodequin Member

Hello all,

I've just signed up to the forum as I'll soon be ordering my first Audi - I'm currently debating whether to go for an SE spec or a Sport. Apologies if this has already been asked/answered but the search function doesn't seem to work for me (I just get a message about cannot connect to local host!)

I'll be adding a bunch of options either way, including adaptive cruise control, xenon pack etc, but so far as I can tell, I can spec an SE with all the same options, add in the few missing features (drive select etc.) and even add in all the aluminium detailing from the Sport and then aside from the wheels, steering wheel and seats it seems to be the same car, but costs less.

I'm not at all fussed about the wheels or steering wheel having one less spoke, but the one thing I'm not sure about is the seats - for the same price as the Sport with all the options I'm choosing, I can get an SE with fullleather seats, but so far I've been unable to actually sit in a car without sports seats, so not sure which is nicer.

Has anyone been able to compare the two in person?

Would love to hear any thoughts on how much better you think the Sports seats are vs. the standard SE cloth seats, vs, the SE seats in full leather... what would you go for? (any real world pics would be great too :) )

J
    Sandra likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net and the 8v section. We all very helpful and friendly in here. Hope you enjoy the forum. :) x
  3. Pulp84

Pulp84 Well-Known Member

Hi - welcome to the forum!

Think you need to try and sit in both seats in both materials if you can. Personally I like the support of the Sports seats. The SE seats are fine and in fairness are very comfortable but would never have them.

I actually think the materials the non-leather seats use are a really good standard. Alacantra is always a good option if it's available too.
    PilotAudi likes this.
  4. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

I like the sports seats (not the super sports seats) and don't like full leather so for me the choice is obvious! Though everyone is going to have a different opinion on this, it could just be something that you have to decide on after seeing both types, or trying them out, or looking at photos or something.
  5. MA3RC

MA3RC Member

I'd deffo go with the sports seats, they're so comfy and they look the part with the opposing colours. Many have made comments on my seats. The adjustable leg support is also very handy, something in which you don't get on the standard seats. My neighbour has an A3 8P with SE leather seats and I much prefer mine (despite having full leather on my previous car)

[​IMG]
    GreatBallsofFire likes this.
  6. leosayer1

leosayer1 Member

The sports seat have an extendable and tiltable base which the SE seats do not. They're also a bit more supportive.

These are the main reasons I chose the sport over the SE.
  7. felsby

felsby Member

I chose the SE seats and regret it. The extendable seat cushion on the sports seats is a great bonus.
  8. cemerson

I have half leather/alcantara sports seats in mine and really like them... worth considering if you can afford it, cheaper than full leather
    Pulp84 likes this.
  9. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

These! (end of thread :p)

[​IMG]
    cuke2u likes this.
  10. cemerson

Those are the S-line ones which are perforated - mine aren't (and look better for it imo ;))
  11. Jerodequin

Jerodequin Member

Thanks everyone, good to get some opinions from real owners :)

Next thing I have to decide is suspension (have read several threads about this already!) - I test drove a car with the s-line suspension this weekend and didn't find it too firm at all (my previous car was a mk3 focus on 18" wheels and the A3 dealt with both large and small bumps a lot nicer than the focus... the turning circle was also a massive improvement!)

So based on the comments above and my experience on the test drive I think I'll probably go for a sport and keep the sport suspension :D
    PilotAudi and MA3RC like this.
  12. arad85

arad85 Active Member

You should see the s-line seats in darkness when the the internal lights are on (i.e. when you unlock/get into the car). The material under the perforations is reflective which mean the seats sparkle. It sounds naff, but is in fact very classy and looks fantastic when you approach/open the car doors at night.
  13. cemerson

You're right... it does sound naff!
  14. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

I've has SE seats in my last eight A3s, all in cloth because I don't like leather.

But for the 8V I have on order I have gone for the Sports seats. Why? I test drove quite a number of 8V models before making my choice and I found the Sports seats to be more comfortable than the SE seats on the 8V. Audi have changed the design of the SE seats, in particular with the raised area at the front of the seat rather than the role over section on the 8V sports seat and all the previous SE seats.

The only problem with for me with choosing the Sports rather than the SE seats was the colour choice. My last four A3s have had the Light Grey interior, which I like very much, but this is not available with the Sports seats but even the Titanium Grey that is offered with the SE comes with Black carpets rather than a matching colour.
  15. steviedr

steviedr Member

I've got the sline standard seats, looks like the sports seats with via biath/leather (not that the material would make a difference) but I don't find them as comfortable as my old A3 sport. Maybe I still have to mould to my shape or the angle isn't quite right yet.
    Can't quite put my hand on what the issue is...feels like I can't use the headrest without it being slightly uncomfortable which would suggest the angle is wrong.
    Adjusting the angle them makes me feel like I'm sitting too close to 90 degrees.
    Maybe it's the shape if my back??
    You guys as comfortable as previous seats in older models?
  16. jbs2472

jbs2472 Active Member

Only had mine 9 days so too early to tell as been too busy playing with everything else to notice the seats - saying that I haven't felt uncomfortable and can only find positives over my 2011 Black Edition that I traded in.
    steviedr likes this.
  17. arad85

arad85 Active Member

But it isn't :moa:
  18. jongeddes

jongeddes Member

The sparkle put me off bit when I looked at them in the dealers made my eyes go funny so decided against them at the time. The fact the material is reflective could explain that. Went for cloth in the end but it purely came down to money at the end of the day. Now having the car there is so little that isn't leather Im not sure it makes much difference to me personally. Would have probably gone for it if it wasn't perforated same as on the sport.
  19. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

I found that the 8V seats were not as snug as those on an 8L or 8P and seemed like you sat 'on' them, not 'in' them. Took me ages to get them adjusted to suit.

In the end, I found tilting the angle of the seat base (bum contact point) to be more of an angle and extending the thigh support made them feel more like the bucket seats I was used to. Had to adjust steering wheel for reach as well as rake as this is driving position as a whole.

In response to OP. Would choose Sport seats in cloth over SE in leather. Rationale being that the Sports seats have more adjustments to tailor the shape to you, and for me comfort would outweigh the leather. Personal choice though, and you may be happy with the SE shape as is.

John.
  20. steviedr

steviedr Member

Thanks John, I'll give this a shot, that's exactly what I was trying to say, on them not in them. The extra thigh support is a nice neat touch.
  21. Ashmcblue

Ashmcblue Member

I've got an S3 on order and I completely forgot but they gave me an A3 s line when my A6 went in for a repair (they also leant me a A6 Allroad once - that was fun - forgot about that too!!) the sports seats in the A3 were lovely, really supportive and the half alcantara was sublime.