New A3 round the corner... Acording to VW...

cjp2k

Reaction score
Well I have been looking round for cars.. vw audi skoda etc etc and I finally decided on the A3.. Ordered on the 23rd

VW rang me today asking when I was placing the order with them as there is a price rise soon.

Anyway said to him Audi have offered me an Excellent deal.. could you match the % off.. he said no way... the only way audi could do it as there is a new A3 Sportback months away.....

So you herd it hear first.. :haha:

Rang my dealer to ask them... he just laughed and when I told him the name of the dealer which told me this.. he said its because they are annoyed as the same group used to own the audi dealer in the north east untill the franchise was taken off them and given to the new guys:blush:

Anyone else been lied to to buy a car?!

cjp2k said:
Anyone else been lied to to buy a car?!

Yeah!! Back in 2000 my local dealer swore black n blue that the Golf 1.8T GTI i was about to buy was not only fantastically reliable but a great driver's car and a true GTI....

Sadly he was wrong on both counts as it was 'nippy' at best, cornered like a drunk hippo on roller skates and almost seemed to enjoy breaking down at every possible opportunity....:mad:

Lying ******, although he never said my MKV GTI would be the last word in the build quality department and he was right there lol!! :laugh:

Yeah, right!
Shelf life of new models are around 6-7 years so the A3, launched in 2003 will probably be only replaced by a total new model in 2009...

Pedro

When the mkII A3 was launched in May 2003, I seem to recall that the model had an anticipated lifespan of 6 years.

So, we are a good 2 1/2 years away from any mkIII A3 or A3SB.

The new A4 range will, however, be intoduced in 2007, starting with the A5 coupe in the spring.

One of the car mags had a massive thing on all the new Audi models and the next A3 definitely isn't due until 2009.

There are always minor changes every year to car models, as manufacturers fiddle with the specs and minor items to try and keep the car fresh and to pursuade company car drivers replacing their existig cars that the model is different enough to order the same car again...

Dealer was probably just trying to use the "2007 model year" planned minor changes to put you off ordering this year....

I read in one of the motoring mags (Autoexpress I think) that the all new A3 would be out in 2009. The article did say that there would be a mid life facelift to the VW Golf in 2007!!

Never mind a facelift for the Golf...
According to rumours from within Germany there is a Mk6 Golf due as soon as next year, as the current car costs too much to build.
New Golf = New A3...also cheaper to build.

It'll not be long...

Ess_Three said:
Never mind a facelift for the Golf...
According to rumours from within Germany there is a Mk6 Golf due as soon as next year, as the current car costs too much to build.
New Golf = New A3...also cheaper to build.

It'll not be long...

I didn't know that you were a member of the Audi AG Supervisory Board.

vagman said:
I didn't know that you were a member of the Audi AG Supervisory Board.

No smart ****.
I'm just someone who reads trusted news sources.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that VW are up **** creek.
Nor that the Mk5 costs too much to build and sell..look at the dealer prices and retail prices. They are overpriced and don't sell enough..
Nor does it take a rocket scientist to work out that the next A3 will be on the same platform as the next Golf.
Why would Audi keep building a car on an old platform?

If a new Golf is coming..then so is the A3.
Or had you forgotten that an A3 and Golf are closely related?

Of course it may all be lies and miss-information.
Why don't you add some facts, if you know any?

The Golf and the A3 are based on the same basic floor pan but they are produced on different production lines in different factories. Just as the new Polo came out as a new a Skoda quite a time before the same floor pan was used for the new Polo, so Ingolstadt could carry on turning out A3s on the existing floor pan for a few years after the new Golf comes out.

It is the Golf that is too expensive to produce for the market it is aimed at. The A3 will always be able to command a higher price than the mass market Golf, so whilst the Golf 5 may be too expensive to produce for it's intended market the A3 may not be.

Ultimately the A3 will use the same basic floor pan and components as the Golf 6 but it may be further down the line than the Golf 6.

With all the new models that Audi have in the pipeline I would doubt that they want to be changing the A3 just yet.

As I understand it, even the new Golf 6 is not due out until 2008. So the new A3 could even be 2009/2010

Ess_Three said:
Why would Audi keep building a car on an old platform?
Why would they design an entirely new car on a new platform when the old one is selling perfectly well? Why do they still sell the "old" 1.9 diesel engine when they have a new 2.0? Why did VW continue to sell the Mk4 Golf long after the current A3 was launched?
If a new Golf is coming..then so is the A3.
Non sequitir
Or had you forgotten that an A3 and Golf are closely related?
Irrelevant
Of course it may all be lies and miss-information.
Why don't you add some facts, if you know any?
Sorry but you really are spouting some utter rubbish imo. Rather than asking for his facts why don't you try sustantiating your claims with some sources of your own?

I don't really give a flying f**k if you read it or not.
The information is out there...search the German based automotive news sites...some of them are pretty reliable.

VW ARE in the ****...
The Golf isn't making enough money...
And the A3 and Golf share the same platform.

You work it out...

VAG won't develop a new mid sized platform and not build an A3 round it also.

h5djr said:
The Golf and the A3 are based on the same basic floor pan but they are produced on different production lines in different factories.

I know it may seem pedantic, but don't confuse 'platform' with 'floorpan'
The A3s/Golf use different floorpans...just like the A3 itself uses different floorpans (quattro / non quattro)

The platform design is far bigger than a floorpan and includes suspension design, suspension mounting points, engine locations, crash structures, wiring harness design etc..

If VAG develop the 'A6 Platform' (I think that's the Mk6 Golf platform designation) then it would be backward to assume Audi won't develop the A3 using the updated platform.

I think everyone will agree that a new A3 will be developed on the same 'platform' as the new Golf 6. But it's the timing that we seem to disagree on. As the new Golf 6 is not due out until 2008 anyway the A3 is going to be some time after that - how long after that is up to Audi. The new Polo was sometime after the new 'platform' was developed and used on the Skoda Fabia. VWs need for change is much greater than Audis.

Anyway a new A3 is just something to look forward to - perhaps by the time I change the new Sportback I have on order, the new one will be ready. It's got better everytime so far so why should it not do so again. Technology moves on - "Vorsprung durch Technik" as they say in Germany.

To be fair... this thread was not aimed to cause arguments...

Here is a link to info (dunno how reliable) about the MK6 http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=14300

It says its a modified version of the current platform... maybe like the A3 is modified platform from the current golf?? As far as I was aware the only reason for the MK6 was to cut costs...

Plus if the salesman was talking about a new audi based on the new golf platform... why didnt he mention about the new golf too!!! :)
Anyway this is an AUDI forum... lets talk AUDI :kissmyrings:

Ess_Three said:
I don't really give a flying f**k if you read it or not.
Nice attitude :rolleyes:
VAG won't develop a new mid sized platform and not build an A3 round it also.
No-one is disputing this. What you're claiming is that, as soon as a Golf is launched on a new platform, a new A3 will be launched simultaneously. This is patently rubbish. The current A3 would continue for possibly a year or two longer before the next A3, on the "new Golf" platform was released. This is exactly what happened in reverse when the A3 was launched and the Golf on the same platform didn't appear for another 12-18 months.