1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New A3 MMI wheel direction help

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Ackieboo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Ackieboo

Ackieboo New Member

Hi All
    I am waiting for my new A3 Sportsback S-line in Daytona Grey and having been in my friends new A3 sport I have noticed that the MMI wheel goes the wrong way! It appears the uk version is still set up for left hand drive operation. His A3 is only 1week old, so I assume it has the latest software. Is there somewhere in the settings this can be changed to suit right hand drive or do we all have to live with it?
  2. squiretolley

squiretolley Active Member

No unfortunately there's no way to change the direction of rotation. It takes some getting used to!

TBH it doesn't matter if its left or right hand drive, clockwise is always clockwise. Audi really haven't thought it through!
  3. Ackieboo

Ackieboo New Member

Thanks for the quick response, thinking about it you are quite right, maybe we need to view it through a mirror:scared2:

Will be interesting to see if/when the Audi Connect will be available as an upgrade, they may get the direct right for that ;-)
  4. squiretolley

squiretolley Active Member

Here's hoping!
  5. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with it - it's perfectly logical. It's you lot that are "wrong" :p
    hittchy likes this.
  6. Ackieboo

Ackieboo New Member

Is it true when the sat nav tells you to turn left, it actually means turn right ;-))
    Never backwards when moving forwards. :kissmyrings:
  7. Pganders

Pganders Member

But, if you are sitting on the left hand side and turn it clockwise the movement of the wheel closest to you is upwards in line with movement on the screen - so logically for left hand drive cars "up is up" which I think is what they intended. Wheras sitting on the right hand side clockwise movement of the wheel naturarly feels a downward rotation but upwards on the screen.

Aagh, the Germans are meddling with our minds lol. But seriously surely a software tweak wouldn't be that difficult.
  8. 7PastShilton

7PastShilton New Member

Im alright with this as I have an apple mac and the mouse scroll with the finger is opposite to windows
    down is up and up is down:think:
  9. Gordo77

Gordo77 Member

Opposite to BMW iDrive, but you get used to it quite quickly!
  10. mikeyw

mikeyw Member

It does seem wrong and first. It was the same in the A1. It's because you think that you should twist the side of the wheel facing you down to scroll down. Which would be clockwise. But obviously sat in the passenger seat, this is like turning the wheel up, hence why it scrolls up instead.
  11. Ackieboo

Ackieboo New Member

Ahh, maybe there is hope, I also have a Mac and have overcome the scroll issue the go back to work and use a pc without thinking.

Could it be Audi have decided to add some extra zoos by adopting 'Apple' features:))
  12. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Ah but the click-wheel on an iPod classic is clockwise to go down...
  13. daveb99

daveb99 Member

Nightmare.....opposite to the MMI on my A6 then (which I've just sold!).

It's a good job I have another 3-4 weeks to wait for the new A3, I might just "unlearn" years of programmed MMI hand action!