Facelift New A3 - few issues... thoughts?

Xerohour

Reaction score
So had my A3 as per signature since late March and covered about 1500miles. A few issues have cropped up along the way and wondered if anyone else has come across them. Kinda in order of how annoying they are...

Steering - I have a pre facelift also and the steering between the two are completely different. My new face lift has very random light steering... even in dynamic is sometimes feels light and feels like it has a dead spot in the middle. It makes driving it on the motorway quite unpleasant. The prefacelift feels very sturdy and heavy in comparison.

Fogging LED Headlights - my non matrix headlights fog like crazy. Anyone else?

MMI - backlight flickering/level changing randomly.

Start/stop appears to never work.

B&O - sound setting reset constantly.

Feeling quite disappointed at the moment...

Fogging.... sad face

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2743.JPG
    IMG_2743.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 191
You say that Start/Stop doesn't work.
Does the functionality kick in but not stop the engine (ie icon in the mmi has a line through it) if so that suggests that the situation is not ready for Engine stop.
This happens if the car hasn't warmed up, aircon on, lights on - loads of different factor determine if the engine stops.
If you don't get the icon, suggests a fault I would think.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Steering - I have a pre facelift also and the steering between the two are completely different. My new face lift has very random light steering... even in dynamic is sometimes feels light and feels like it has a dead spot in the middle. It makes driving it on the motorway quite unpleasant. The prefacelift feels very sturdy and heavy in comparison.

Steering does seem a bit numb in feel a lot of the time, guess that's the downside of a more electronic than mechanical steering system.

Fogging LED Headlights - my non matrix headlights fog like crazy. Anyone else?

Can't say I've noticed that with mine, I have matrix LED's but can't see that would make too much difference.

MMI - backlight flickering/level changing randomly.

Again, can't say I've noticed the backlight doing anything odd.

Start/stop appears to never work.

Not really had any issues with this either, although I turn it off now every time I get in because I find it annoying, especially when you haven't quite come to a stop and the engine cuts out!

B&O - sound setting reset constantly.

You're not alone with that, there's quite a few on here with that issue. I'm one of the fortunate ones that both doesn't have any issues with the levels holding where I set them and has subwoofer control.

Sorry I can't add any help to the points you've raised.

Doesn't sound good. The LED headlamps do fog a bit on mine. I think the issue is that water gets in, probably very little water, but with LED lights being much cooler operating than halogen that moisture does not evaporate and escape.

The other problems don't sound right and I'd suggest taking the car to the dealer for investigation. Start/stop won't operate if the battery charge is below a certain level or there is heavy electrical load from ancillaries but if it never works that sounds odd.

I can't see your signature so I don't know which A3 you have. When you say "flat spot" do you mean "play" (meaning you turn the steering wheel either way to a certain degree but nothing happens)?

What with you flickering MMI as well maybe you have an electrical fault of some kind. The car needs looking at.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far, the steering issue is strange... basically from centre a couple of degrees of steering input left or right does very little and hence why on the motorway it's hard to make those small changes of direction. I guess you could call it play but am choosing not to describe it that was as surely on a card with 1k5miles and is only a few months old can't have damaged/faulty steering. It's not dangerous, it's just not pleasant to drive. Also generally speaking the steering feels a lot lighter than my pre face life. Comfort mode is almost comical.

Start/stop - I get the white icon showing it's not available but no mater what I'm doing in the car it refuses to do it. It's no loss to me really but it does make me wonder if there is an issue.

The headlights, I think Sven has it do correctly. It's still irritating on a prestige car.

Other issues in. Hoping are just software fixes.

Maybe what you are describing is on the motorway is "Audi Dynamic Steering":

Dynamic steering

Audi dynamic steering alters the steering ratio depending on the vehicle speed and simultaneously adjusts the steering torque to match the ratio.

At high motorway speeds, Audi dynamic steering adopts a more indirect steering ratio, eliminating nervousness in the steering and improving straight-line directional stability.

If the vehicle is being driven at low to medium speeds on twisting roads, a more direct ratio is used to increase steering precision and speed up steering response.

During parking the steering has a direct ratio to make manoeuvring easier for the driver. Audi dynamic steering is only available in conjunction with Audi drive select.

Has the feel of the steering changed since you got the car or has it developed with time?

You might expect subtle differences between cars as no two cars are truly identical and you might be experiencing both ends of normal variation due to tolerance range but if it is something that has developed over time that's a different scenario

Have u tried switching off the air con /heaters to get the start/stop to work? Once its up to running temperature turning this off should work.

Apart from the headlamps fogging a lot of this could be due to the lack of usage (1500 miles in 3 months) as most of the issues appear to be electrical, so possibly a current discharge / low battery situation. Stop/Start not working = low battery charge, display flickering = low battery charge & B&O resetting again = low battery can cause things to reset, much like disconnecting the battery would. Just my two penneth for what it's worth.

The sound settings resetting is a known issue but let us know if you get a software update.

Apart from the headlamps fogging a lot of this could be due to the lack of usage (1500 miles in 3 months) as most of the issues appear to be electrical, so possibly a current discharge / low battery situation. Stop/Start not working = low battery charge, display flickering = low battery charge & B&O resetting again = low battery can cause things to reset, much like disconnecting the battery would. Just my two penneth for what it's worth.

Shouldn't be, I've done 1550 miles since collection on 22nd March and I've not had any of the issues the OP has raised.