1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New A3 Cabrio Vibrations

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by DJAlix, Aug 13, 2009.

1. DJAlix

DJAlix Member

Hey all!

Am new to the forum having just got my Black Edition Cabrio. Great forum with great info :)

My reason for posting?

Having only had the car for nearly 3 weeks now I have been getting used to it, so far so good bar 2 issues.

Last week I managed to drive over knife blade which someone had left in the road, cut the threads on the tire. Had x4 Conti Sport 2's on there but the tyre insurance people replaced the flat with a Conti Sport 3 and did not balance it. After feeling the vibrations I managed to get a balance completed and things were much better.

Been driving to work since, not sure if I am going crazy or not, but I think I can still feel a constant but less aggressive vibration, at more or less all speed, thru the car in general.

Never had a cabrio before, coming from BMW's, I am thinking the issue might be one of the following:

1) The Cabrio is less ridgid cus it's a Cabrio
    2) The other wheels / tyres might not be balanced
    3) dodgy / warped wheel?
    4) I am feeling everything on the road cus I am now running on 18's with hard suspention

The road next to where I live has just been surfaced and when in my old car I would not really feel anything when driving down it on 17's. In the A3 I feel this "vibration" thru the car, not so much thru the steering, but it happens.

Was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on this as the dealer I got the car from cannot see it for a few days...

Many thanks in advance for any help / thought's!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

If its a black edition then i'm guessing S line suspension, it bobs around on the hard top too, also my 18's have contis and there is plenty of roar and vibration from them. These 2 things can only be amplified by it being a cabriolet i guess so i'm pretty sure what you are noticing is normal. Audis arent know for their smooth ride! :)
  3. royjk

royjk Member

No problem with mine, infact I think you will find the S-Line Cabrio suspension a tad softer on the cabrio compared to S-Line A3's. Have no problem with tyre noise compared to my last A3 & with the top down at 80mph can still have a conversation with the passenger without shouting & listening to music with Bose find I do not have turn volume up to high.
  4. pns2007

pns2007 Member

No problems with mine either, although I have Michelin Pilot exalto tyres on mine (for what is worth!).

DJAlix, I don't suppose you would do me a favour would you? Could you take a picture of your overhead consul where the map reading lights are. I want to retrofit the red ambient lighting but need to know where the red led's go. Otherwise could you PM me your chasis no. so that I can ask audi parts for the part number. (royjk - I did send you a pm on the subject, did you get it?)

Many Thanks

Neil
  5. DJAlix

DJAlix Member

Well I took the car back to Audi today and they said that one of the wheels had too many weights on it but all in all everything was fine. They sent me to a local place to get it rebalanced and they informed me that Audi Hatfield do not have a machine to balance so how could they know! lol. Not had the time to drive it as I am at work so will see on the way home I guess. I did notice something strange yesterday tho. Drove home with the roof down, A1 for 20miles and there was no real vibrating. Guess the weight shift of the roof planted the back wheels better or something...

Got to say I am impressed why the overall lack of road noise for a cabrio, and with the top down and driving up the M11 the other day there was not much wind and all 4 of use could chat without raised voices. All in all a very nice car indeed, but the DSG will take some getting used to.

pns2007, Sure. Am at work at the moment but will post up a photo when I get home tonight.
  6. pns2007

pns2007 Member

DJAlix, did you manage to get that photo for me mate.

Cheers

Neil
  7. DJAlix

DJAlix Member

Hey pns2007!

Am so sorry fella, have been away on business and had forgotten to take the photo for you.

I went to take a photo yesterday after I got your PM but it would seem that I do not have the red ambient lighting also. All I have are the normal yellow lights and switches.
  8. pns2007

pns2007 Member

Thanks anyway. Might have to try a custom fit!